AMD: Thunderbolt Another Proprietary Standard

Status
Not open for further replies.

banthracis

Distinguished
Completely agree, light peak had lots of potential.
copper peak/thunderbolt...not so much.

Intel could have had a revolutionary product, instead, they went forward with a product that was a moderate evolution.

I don't buy Intel's whole fiber is too expensive argument. If you're aiming the product at enterprise yes those dollars add up. In the consumer industry? That extra $5 or $10 isn't gonna make a difference in a $1,000 PC.

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Oh man, AMD doesn't like Intel's standard. This is news!
As I recal they weren't big fans of AGP either.
It just generally stinksto have to liscence your competitor's technology.

I can see the issue with linking displays over light peak when using multiple displays.

But as of now there is no other standard with that bandwidth that will support devices like external hard drives. Unless somebody comes out with a standard that can compete or beat light peak, this is all we have.

THe article seems to me tha AMD more trying to say our new 8-series chipset has SATA-III and USB 3.0

pozaks

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
[citation][nom]rhino13[/nom]Oh man, AMD doesn't like Intel's standard. This is news!As I recal they weren't big fans of AGP either.It just generally stinksto have to liscence your competitor's technology.[/citation]
Like x86-64, right?

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]hoofhearted[/nom]Hmm, "SSDs will actually be able to utilize 10 Gb/s of bandwidth"Windows boot time.... games with large load times...[/citation]
Even though by the time that SSDs even make it to 10gbps, I'm sure Sata 4 will be out by then

G

Let's get one thing clear, it's a hella fast connection that could leverage a larger variety of media devices. AMD's argument is mute. Comparing USB 3.0 (with it's less than ideal current speeds) to "Thunderbolt" is ridiculous. "Thunderbolt's" 10Gps (both up and down with minimal overhead)trumps pretty much everything available now. Don't worry, the devices (Apple has a year before everyone else) are on the way. Also, the option of going optical still remains. So, expect to see optical variations to "Thunderbolt" next year.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]pozaks[/nom]Like x86-64, right?[/citation]
Yeah, but in the case of x86-64, neither can pull the others licensing because if AMD pulls x86-64, Intel can pull x86 and visa versa so one's beholden to the other. In this case (thunderbolt) all the power lies in Intel's hands, which likely has AMD a little miffed.

segio526

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]rhino13[/nom]Oh man, AMD doesn't like Intel's standard. This is news!As I recal they weren't big fans of AGP either.It just generally stinksto have to liscence your competitor's technology.[/citation]
Actually, AGP was a crappish interface. More of a stop gap between PCI and PCIe. They changed the port and voltages half way through it's life and no one ever ended up using two ports for SLI. Maybe 3DFX would still be around today if they could have pulled off 2 card 4 GPU Voodoo5 SLI.

G

@Snaggy7

I dont think AMD is taking a direct aim at external media storage, sure thunderbolt is heck better then USB3 for that, but to say that thunderbolt can take over from DisplayPort or even sata3 is a bit much, for a single point to point connection it's great but when you start to daisy chain these devices, having a single connector serve all your connection needs maybe unwise, especially if you plan on chaining more then one display

and i maybe wrong, but i yet to see cooper produce any kind of light, going optical will likely mean compatibility issues, might as well call it a different product altogether, i dont know maybe something like lightpeak....

banthracis

Distinguished
Problem is, at 10gb/s thunderbolt is slower than DP 1.2.
Yes, it's twice the speed of USB 3.0, but considering that SATA III is 6gb/s and already looking short with the new SF SSD's, this is hardly a big improvement.

Intel had the opportunity to release a format that could done 50 gb/s or 100gb/s easy and would have been a major revolution. Heck, with 50gb/s it could have replaced both a PCIe x32 link and a DP link and allow cabling of huge lengths without signal loss.

It would have made a modular PC setup possible with PC in a (well ventilated) closet somewhere, 1600p monitor on the other side of the house and the GPU replacing your space heater a possibility.

The point is that Intel chocked and decided to just stick with copper. Can they upgrade to fiber? Sure, but any feature they release in the future will have to be backwards compatible and work with current devices.

Do you really think Apple is ok with their customers coming in next year and asking why their macbook pro can't run a new 3D monitor with thunderbolt despite Intel advertising it as a possibility with the new fiber based thunderbolt?

deanjo

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
Sigh, you would think that industry competitors would at least know what they are talking about before bashing the competition.

"Existing standards offer remarkable connectivity and together far exceed the 10 Gb/s peak bandwidth of Thunderbolt,:

10 Gb/s PER CHANNEL and each port has two channels totalling 20 Gb/s.

kooltime

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Can we say FIREWIRE here ??

We see how dismally fire wire has held over time, its totally going away now, other then the brief uprise for the few digital video editors whom claimed it helped them with uncompressed raw material editing speeds and xfer's.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
[citation][nom]kooltime[/nom]Can we say FIREWIRE here ??We see how dismally fire wire has held over time, its totally going away now, other then the brief uprise for the few digital video editors whom claimed it helped them with uncompressed raw material editing speeds and xfer's.[/citation]
Man I had to get a stupid firewire card just for my video camera. Other than that, my computer would be firewire free.

At any rate, I agree that lightpeak had potential. Perhaps thunderbolt does as well, but lightpeak seemed like it had more potential.

At any rate, if AMD were to say "we think thunderbolt is the future, everybody should buy it!" then that won't get AMD very far.

Status
Not open for further replies.