News AMD to Become TSMC’s Largest 7nm Customer In 2020: Report

Good, I hope AMD can churn out more Ryzen 9s that currently are plagued with stock/production issues.

As much as I dislike apple for various reasons, credit where credit is due, Apple is usually on the very leading edge of technology.

Currently using 7nm EUV and going to 5nm soon. Intel, Nvidia, and AMD cannot say the same. But I guess adding pluses to 14nm makes it equal to 5nm in whatever land Intel is living in.

Gillerer

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013
According to AMD, the lack of stock was not due to production problems but rather due to them ordering too few wafers from TSMC; They didn't anticipate how high the demand for their top parts would be.

Besides Apple, other mobile SoC manufacturers also use the leading edge, since that's where you get power savings, but the node may not yet be optimized for high performance, high power draw required by desktop CPUs and GPUs. Yields for large dies would also be atrocious early on in the node's life. Mobile SoCs are smallish at ~100 mm², so are less affected by that problem - it's only with the Zen 2 core chiplet also being small that AMD can reap the benefit of that.