[SOLVED] amd to intel, is it worth it?

Oct 7, 2020
is it worth changing my intel core i5-7400 to amd ryzen 7 2700x and go trough the trouble of changing the whole motherboard, or should i just stick with my current motherboard. I did some research on this and there are so many steps to change cpu family and i dont want to mess anything up. Is it really that hard? What should i do?

Solution
Why do you want to change processors?

What is the make/model of your current motherboard and ram.

You can likely simply replace your 7400 with a i7-7700k and get more threads and a faster single thread performance.

If you want to use a 2700X, the performance will be comparable to a 7700k, depending on what you are doing.
To change, you will need a new motherboard for certain, and possibly new ram. Ryzen is picky on the ram it supports.

A new motherboard will require you to take some steps to preserve your digital license so you do not need to buy a new os.

It is possible that your current setup will boot. If so, you only need to install the new motherboard drivers.
If the old C drive does not boot, you will need to do a clean...
Changing between CPU families like this is no different than changing between say LGA 775 to LGA 1151.

To answer the question though, you should answer for yourself the following questions:
  • Do I want more performance?
  • If yes, are the options that I can upgrade to be a meaningful upgrade?
  • If no, what will give a meaningful upgrade?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Unfortunately AMD's release of Ryzen pretty quickly showed the lack of innovation from Intel (due to a lack of competition in the space) in the 7xxx series. I have not personally benchmarked it but there are many comparisons being made to the "latest" R3 as comparison to the 7700 for a fraction of the price.
With that said your current motherboard would only be able to take the 7xxx series i7 which you could likely pay as much for as a new mobo, RAM, CPU on the AMD side. Also, don't forget OS licensing, as you will likely need a new one.

To me it would be whether spending $3-400 on a new heart of a system is worth the % faster than you have now, either way.

Side note- DO NOT buy anything till after tomorrow....

Geef

Distinguished
At that age of chips the Intel chips were still doing a tiny bit more per clock than the Ryzen. Ryzen didn't beat Intel at that until the 3000 series. Only the newest games use more than the 4 cores your current chip has right now. A game like Horizon Zero Dawn would need more cores/threads but if your not upgrading to play that game then don't bother. i5 7400x will run most anything else just fine.

Anything supporting the i5-7400 (100/200 series mainboards) maxes out at the 7700K...

I'd recommend your looking at the R5-3600 at a minimum...(if you wait a few weeks, the soon to be outed R5-5600 is another generational leap of 15% performance gains or so over the 3600, itself already a generational leap in gaming performance over the 2700X)

Reactions: RodroX
just for reference i have a 8700k running at 5.1Ghz all core and a 3600x stock, using CPU-z CPU Bench here were the resaults

8700k single thread 548.2 Multi thread 4088.4
3600x single thread 497.0 Multi thread 4059.4

If your going with a 2700x i would make sure you get a board that supports it, the 3000 series, and the 4000 series so you can upgrade in the future.

Reguardless of what you do Intel to AMD you should do a fresh install of the OS. Staying intel to intel or amd to amd you dont have to but it is still recommend to do a fresh install. Most of the time a same brand move will boot up and seem fine but down the road you might run into issues that might randomly pop up

Reactions: RodroX and punkncat
Oct 7, 2020
Side note- DO NOT buy anything till after tomorrow....

Thx for the replies first, im a little less confused now.
I accually alreadly have the 7 2700x at home, im just dumb and didint realize that it has a diffirent socket from my current mobo, im now scared of all the steps i have to take just to convert to a amd build. is there like a step by step video i can watch?

Also why should i wait till after tomorow?

dimtodim

Reputable
I accually alreadly have the 7 2700x at home, im just dumb and didint realize that it has a diffirent socket from my current mobo, im now scared of all the steps i have to take just to convert to a amd build. is there like a step by step video i can watch?

because tomorrow amd will show new cpu series...and people here think everybody have money for buy new series cpu and gpu...

Reactions: punkncat
Why do you want to change processors?

What is the make/model of your current motherboard and ram.

You can likely simply replace your 7400 with a i7-7700k and get more threads and a faster single thread performance.

If you want to use a 2700X, the performance will be comparable to a 7700k, depending on what you are doing.
To change, you will need a new motherboard for certain, and possibly new ram. Ryzen is picky on the ram it supports.

A new motherboard will require you to take some steps to preserve your digital license so you do not need to buy a new os.

It is possible that your current setup will boot. If so, you only need to install the new motherboard drivers.
If the old C drive does not boot, you will need to do a clean install of windows as well as your apps.

Worth is something only YOU can determine.
That said, I would not try to use the 2700X you have and would sell it.
When you ever have to change motherboards, try for the latest gen products

Solution

Changing the motherboard is a harder part of upgrading a PC, but it is not particularly difficult. If you want to know how to do it, just watch a Build Guide on how to build a PC, and do the reverse steps to remove the old motherboard, then install the new one. You will need to get new thermal paste for the CPU cooler. The RAM you have could work, but what you have might be worth changing depending on what it is. There is no process to "convert" from Intel to AMD, other than a motherboard/CPU change and a windows reinstall.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador

because tomorrow amd will show new cpu series...and people here think everybody have money for buy new series cpu and gpu...

Well, you are correct on part of that. I was not aware that OP already had the 2700X, but generally the day they announce a new generation, the previous one on AMD goes on SUPER sale. I got my 2700X for barely over $100. I purchased a 1700 for LESS than $100.

dimtodim

Reputable
Well, you are correct on part of that. I was not aware that OP already had the 2700X, but generally the day they announce a new generation, the previous one on AMD goes on SUPER sale. I got my 2700X for barely over $100. I purchased a 1700 for LESS than $100.
ok that is fine but depends where u living here in serbia price never go down probably in some other countries...