News AMD to Launch RDNA 3 on November 3

RichardtST

Notable
May 17, 2022
I would LOVE for AMD to build a successful video card just to take some wind out of NVIDIA's 50% profit margin.... Do the new cards actually run Minecraft? I heard rumor that they fixed/upgraded the OpenGL support? Does Windows actually recognize the card from a clean install boot? I tried Radeon once and was massively disappointed. How can I know they are worth trying again?

I would LOVE for AMD to build a successful video card just to take some wind out of NVIDIA's 50% profit margin.... Do the new cards actually run Minecraft? I heard rumor that they fixed/upgraded the OpenGL support? Does Windows actually recognize the card from a clean install boot? I tried Radeon once and was massively disappointed. How can I know they are worth trying again?
When was your last experience? AMD GPUs have gotten a lot better over the years. And I'm pretty sure they've always been able to run Minecraft and support OpenGL.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED

Are you referring to the massive FPS boost in old OpenGL games? AMD should have released those drivers months back.
The other issues, I don't know what you refer to. Why wouldn't AMD cards work? They worked before they were AMD, back in the ATI days.
Windows installing drivers for GPU on first install, you really want to avoid that. Most people unplug their ethernet-cable so it wont happen. Those drivers are old. Get fresh drivers, install manually. Then plug in ethernet. Download to a USB-stick for example.

Last edited:
Reactions: TCA_ChinChin
Are you referring to the massive FPS boost in old OpenGL games? AMD should have released those drivers months back.
The other issues, I don't know what you refer to. Why wouldn't AMD cards work? They worked before they were AMD, back in the ATI days.
Windows installing drivers for GPU on first install, you really want to avoid that. Most people unplug their ethernet-cable so it wont happen. Those drivers are old. Get fresh drivers, install manually. Then plug in ethernet. Download to a USB-stick for example.
Back when Doom 2016 came out I had a brand new Radeon RX 480 8Gb; Nvidia was touring all press events with their Geforce 980Ti as the only card that could run Doom in 4K. 6 months later, the first Vulkan-compatible drivers came out, and id Software issued a patch for Doom that enabled Vulkan as an usable API and activated async compute in some antialiasing modes on supported hardware. Some tests showed a 45% performance increase on some AMD models.

My FPS went directly from 38-44 fps to 60-70+.

Nvidia dropped Doom from their portfolio of games they put forward : their GPUs plain didn't support async compute and Vulkan brought pretty much no performance improvement over their (excellent) OpenGL and DX11 drivers.

In 2017, id Software removed the DRM from Doom; it became a matter of "installing the latest version of Wine" => "install Steam" => "install Doom" => game on! The game had shipped with a cracked binary, making the game playable on Linux. When id Software straight out removed the DRM, Doom became the main benchmark for open source Vulkan driver development; it took a few months for it to go from "I get a GUI on black background then it crashes" to "damn, that game is fast and fun!". Performance was a bit behind the official AMD driver at first, but soon caught up.

That didn't stop development of the OpenGL driver : around the release of Doom Eternal, I pulled out my copy of Doom 2016 and gave it a whirl, again on my trusty old RX480. Vulkan was as smooth as ever and then, just for kicks, I switched to OpenGL. FPS was almost as high as under Vulkan.

I tried other OpenGL games : Deus Ex, Tomb Raider 2013, Borderlands 2, Mad Max (the only other game I owned that supported both APIs), Wolfenstein the New Order... All had gotten quite a boost.

I read somewhere that AMD engineers were looking at what was done on the open source driver to apply it to their crusty old OpenGL (and DX9, and DX11) driver... Looks like they landed it in July and August of 2022. Performance mainly came from a re-written resource allocator, if I'm not mistaken. I also tried the old Unigine demos on an AMD APU : I did notice a 5-15 % performance improvement in DX11.

RichardtST

Notable
May 17, 2022
Thanks for all the replies.... Last I tried to use a board for a windows install was about 4 years ago. Maybe that has been fixed. I don't know. Last I tried to run java/lwjgl/opengl was just a month ago. That has not been fixed. I have to make the secondary 3060 built into my AMD laptop the primary card, and then opengl works properly and runs my games. (It has built-in AMD graphics) Minecraft has never worked on AMD cards since back when it first started. It was/is common knowledge that if you intended to ever run minecraft, you simply did not buy AMD graphics. If it ran at all, you got single-digit fps if you were lucky. This still holds true today.

AMD needs to revamp (fire them all and walk them out the door) their software processes and priorities. Awful software has been and still is their downfall.

Kind of like Intel with Arc. Intel cannot write software. Never has. Never will. They are a hardware company.

Not to give the wrong impression here... I am totally an AMD CPU fan. I've got two at home and half a dozen here at the office. It's just their GPUs.... they need help.

TRENDING THREADS