AMD To Livestream Zen 'New Horizon" Gaming Event On December 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

RomeoReject

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015
Really hoping they do well. I haven't bought a CPU since way back with a FX-4170 (Laugh it up, I know it was a poor idea now). I'm hoping AMD makes me want to support them still.

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
I have been an Intel/Nvidia gamer guy for over a decade. But if Zen and Vega were to make a build viable I'd jump in a heartbeat.

mellis

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
This will probably be the beginning of the battle between AMD and Intel for whom can provide the most cores with the best performance. I have still not seen a reason to replace my old Intel 3930K anytime soon. Maybe in the next year or two I will have a reason to.

alextheblue

Distinguished

It really wasn't the worst thing you could have done. After all, board permitting, you could still slap an 83xx in there bundled with a Wraith cooler and overclock it a bit for a cheap performance boost. They've been putting AM3+ chips on sale a lot lately too. I've seen much bigger mistakes.

Clive_2

Commendable
Apr 22, 2016
Now if we could just get more AMD powered laptops and convertibles, after using a variety of Intel products with Intel Graphics, I refuse to even entertain the concept of buying Intel with Intel graphics. And yeah I know I can buy a higher end gamer one...but there goes battery life...

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

amd is likely never competing day and date with nvidia again unless something major changes. even when amd had a clear performance win AND a clear price win, at half the cost of nvidia, people still bought nvidia.

Normal people are dumb as bricks and see 'way it's meant to be played' and honestly believe it, mixed in with fanboys who will never consider amd.

What it looks like amd may head towards out of necessity is a multi chip die, kind of like what core quads and zen 16/32 cores are, apposed to one monolithic chip, because even if they do make that one big chip that is better than nvidia, which they have done multiple times in the past, the market refuses to reward them for it.

If they could make polaris on a single gpu, then add a second silicon next to it and get it to act as one gpu opposed to crossfire, there is your FAR cheaper to produce and r&d high end solution.

LeeRains

Reputable
Oct 22, 2016
I've been waiting for year a for Intel to pull their thumbs out of their azzez and produce a CPU worth upgrading to. I have a 3770K that is OC'd to 4.4, and absolutely nothing Intel makes (within a reasonable price segment) has ever tempted me into the $600 - $800 it'd take to upgrade the MoBo, CPU and RAM.

I might buy a Zen CPU even if it sucks, just to spite the moronic fat cats at Intel.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

form leaks from god knows where, it looks like zen will have 2 flavors at launch, an 8 core 16 thread for 350~ and a higher binned same for 500~

Its not really the best source, but its at least the current rumor. for me so long as its got performance and is sub 500$ I have an old phenom 2, would be really hard to not have a compelling chip for me to upgrade to.

I have followed AMD a long time and I am still a believer in AMD's goals that were laid out long before Bulldozer hit the market. As seen with Intel they are getting extremely close to the IPC wall and while they wanted the fastest and most efficient per core performance, AMD on the other hand wanted a harmonized system where components reduce load or dependence on another and share the load in the most efficient and scale able manner possible. Bulldozer was not a failure in idea in as much as it was a CPU for the wrong time. Things being said the cards are now falling into place with the future moving towards DX12 and AMD used the advantage of having privy to DX12 long before intel and Nvidia, to show that they get good scale-ability where a system is designed to extract the best and most efficient performance using the extent of the systems full resources.

It would be great to see that vision back in 2008 start to bear fruits and hopefully AMD become something to talk about, rather than an after thought.

RomeoReject

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015

I had thought about it. But I think I got fairly lucky with the silicon lottery anyways, as I managed to get mine up to a stable 5.0GHz using just a Kraken x61. I'll probably just wait until Zen comes out, and if it's cheap and awesome, I'll start saving my pennies for a new CPU, board and RAM.

Tuishimi

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
If this CPU lives up to 75% of the marketing thus far, I will be building a new system next year... just so I can say I've gone back to and support AMD.

Status
Not open for further replies.