AMD to Make a Tablet Chip in the Future

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I think their first priority should be making sure Bulldozer can match the performance of Sandybridge core to core. Then they can worry about expanding into new markets when they are not playing catch up in their primary business.

If they didn't have their head up their rear they would already have one ready to go. I would love to see an AMD powered Andriod Tablet with decent gpu. Current Andriod Tablets are lacking in speed.

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
Yes, I can see it now... cheaper AMD Pads, no wait, they'll be sued by Apple if they use the "Pad" trade mark. AMD Tabs? That one sounds like a web browser extension... lol

ares1214

Splendid
I think its a smart move, as they are right, the tablet market isnt big enough yet. By the time they get something to show for their research, maybe 2-3 years from now, it will be much more popular, and therefore more worth the investment.

G

i need a windows 7 tablet now so i can run EJukebox in front of my hdtv instead of on it!

dreamer77dd

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Their graphic is more profitable then their cpu, selling that section of their company would not be smart. I think splitting up their focus on a tablet pc or anything like that is a waste of time. It to much of a small market and who the hell once one. I hate tablet pc, dont waste your time on those things, the world market is still desktops, laptops and servers, inculding phones but all you really need is 1 or 2 things 2 make a profit.

[citation][nom]kelemvor4[/nom]I think their first priority should be to sell off the graphics division and return to profitability.[/citation]

hwat ?? sell off the most profitable department and then get into tablets where the intergrated gpu's would be the biggest asset ?

what is this basis for this ??

I find no logic at all in this statement
but please do note I am looking for a response with insight ratehr than a argument

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]kelemvor4[/nom]I think their first priority should be to sell off the graphics division and return to profitability.[/citation]
Isn't ATI the division making them the most money ATM? How would selling their money maker help them at all in the short or long run?

G

There being smart there watching the market. They have to know though that sometimes you have to take crazy chances but they can't afford that now so I respect that. They have a good CPU and GPU at a awesome price. What they have to do is find more ways to use them. I hope the next Xbox or Play station will use AMD. The big market is phones right now.

Randomacts

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
[citation][nom]Greekguy[/nom]There being smart there watching the market. They have to know though that sometimes you have to take crazy chances but they can't afford that now so I respect that. They have a good CPU and GPU at a awesome price. What they have to do is find more ways to use them. I hope the next Xbox or Play station will use AMD. The big market is phones right now.[/citation]

I don't care who makes the chips for the next gen of consoles

I just hope they don't wait this long to upgrade next time.

G

Why wait until the main players in the pad market are established? AMD needs to bring their expertise ie. combination of good graphics and CPU's to this market with their fusion technology. The Pad market is going to be huge for a number of resons: portability, low power, multifunctional, touch screen ease of use, low cost, etc. I can imagine a number of these in any household,fulfilling many a need. People are over having dinosaurs for computers. Convenience and functionality rule!

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
[citation][nom]braneman[/nom]if their netbooks are anything to go by you could do some light gaming on them... interesting.[/citation]
Already can with the current M880G chipset Radeon HD 4225 IGP netbook models but the future ones (Bobcat "Zacate") next year will be much much better supposedly.

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]AMD please focus on improving core performance, you are losing server market...[/citation]

I don't believe its as black and white from that. The portable market is a hugely growing one and the research from low power devices filters directly into the server side development. How many companies the likes of like search engines that handle thousands of small requests are crying out for a large volume of small, efficient cores over a 4GHz monster? As multi threading takes off this could become more common that a low powered cluster beats fast clocked processors with fewer cores. Also just look at netbook sales and the ever growing mobile and tablet markets. AMD-ATI fusion will be of huge benefit in those markets. Yes they may be behind in one sector, but ignoring a new young and ever expanding market in which they have a chance to compete and learn new things in would just be suicide and even harder to play catch up in.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]spentshells[/nom]hwat ?? sell off the most profitable department and then get into tablets where the intergrated gpu's would be the biggest asset ?what is this basis for this ??I find no logic at all in this statementbut please do note I am looking for a response with insight ratehr than a argument[/citation]
They have largely returned to profitability, They may have lost some in the third quarter, but AMD posted net gains in the first and second quarters as well need i remind you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS