News AMD to Make 'New' 2019-Era 3000G APUs to Sell Old Motherboards

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
This would be pretty nice, if they are priced right.

My DeskMini A300W is still running an Athlon 200GE. Does fine for what I use it for, but I'm thinking if they sell these at a low enough price, AND they play nicely with the chipset (support on the A300W stops at the 3000-series APUs), it might make a nice little upgrade, and handle a little more gaming than what it currently does.

One can hope, anyway.

Oh BTW, the main reason behind this sudden change in AMD's plan to resume production of ZEN+ series, is because sales of low-end motherboards in China have recently gained a lot of attention/traction and to further spur it, so the company is working with vendors to deliver more entry-level options such as the Ryzen 3000G APUs.

Sales of entry-level mobos has skyrocketed recently in Chinese Gaming Internet cafes, and other small online gaming hubs, and also in offices and casual home PC uses.

The Chinese board forums state that there has been a huge demand for low-end entry-level motherboards in China. And these low-end APUs will be sold as a BUNDLE in most cases with a compatible AM4 motherboard in the same price category which might include A320 and B450 series.

It would make more sense to sell these in a bundle so as to attract and gain some market share in China, rather than selling them individually.

suryasans

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2008
I think this Athlon/Ryzen 3000G series chips will be manufactured in SMIC's 14 nm node for China Consumer and Government/State enterprises use. I believe They are requiring the IT suppliers to have IT products with 100% Made in China components.

Reactions: artk2219

pug_s

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
I think this Athlon/Ryzen 3000G series chips will be manufactured in SMIC's 14 nm node for China Consumer and Government/State enterprises use. I believe They are requiring the IT suppliers to have IT products with 100% Made in China components.
I doubt that it is going to be manufactured by SMIC, probably by Globlfoundries. There's a market for low end parts from low end markets and AMD is willing to provide. Either that or Intel can provide their low end celerons.

Jul 7, 2022
Absolutely not, SMIC is a blacklisted company so it is illegal to transfer the ryzen design to SMIC for production.

MeeLee

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2014
If only intel would release a new cpu every 10 years for the last gen motherboards 10 years ago...

Like:
- "still own a 486 dx4 100Mhz? Intel will release the 486 dx4 2500Mhz, for a more up to date 1990s experience.".

Or,
- "Stuck with a core2duo at 1.66Ghz? Now releasing a compatible core2duo 3.33Ghz. Twice the cpu frequency, 4x the performance."

Should be easy peasy for cpu manufacturers.

artk2219

Distinguished
Oh BTW, the main reason behind this sudden change in AMD's plan to resume production of ZEN+ series, is because sales of low-end motherboards in China have recently gained a lot of attention/traction and to further spur it, so the company is working with vendors to deliver more entry-level options such as the Ryzen 3000G APUs.

Sales of entry-level mobos has skyrocketed recently in Chinese Gaming Internet cafes, and other small online gaming hubs, and also in offices and casual home PC uses.

The Chinese board forums state that there has been a huge demand for low-end entry-level motherboards in China. And these low-end APUs will be sold as a BUNDLE in most cases with a compatible AM4 motherboard in the same price category which might include A320 and B450 series.

It would make more sense to sell these in a bundle so as to attract and gain some market share in China, rather than selling them individually.
I'd noticed a definite lack of entry level boards recently on AM4, I had just assumed they were being phased out, I guess they were more likely diverted. Regardless a 3400g and A320 board for around 100 should be a pretty solid proposal, pair it with a GTX 1660 or even better an rx 6600 and honestly you can have a pretty good time with a setup like that.