[SOLVED] AMD to nvidia GPU Conundrum

Desch_

Reputable
Apr 29, 2016
Hi guys, I am upgrading from rx 580 to rtx 2070.

Im wondering what the best procedure for driver wipe and install would be.

My conundrum is the rx 580 will be gone before the rtx 2070 arrives and i am using a Ryzen 2700, so no integrated graphics incase something goes wrong.

Can someone walk me thru what steps i should take for removing and installing old and new drivers before i get rid of the rx580? if something goes wrong ill have to travel to my relatives house with my desktop, and take out a CPU from a system i built for them that has integrated graphics in order to trouble shoot. Im really trying to avoid this. Plug n Play on the rtx 2070 is what im shooting for.......

thanks in advance for the advice and time youre taking here.

Solution
sooo that sounds easy.

my concern is after i download DDU, remove rx 580, and install the 2070 --- what if i get no image on screen? i cant install the drivers with no image on screen.

can i do it like this...

download DDU, wipe all video drivers, install nvidia drivers, remove rx580, install 2070? will that cause some potential problems?

what about doing a clean install of windows?
Windows has built in generic drivers. You don’t need the official drivers until after the card is installed.
Hi guys, I am upgrading from rx 580 to rtx 2070.

Im wondering what the best procedure for driver wipe and install would be.

My conundrum is the rx 580 will be gone before the rtx 2070 arrives and i am using a Ryzen 2700, so no integrated graphics incase something goes wrong.

Can someone walk me thru what steps i should take for removing and installing old and new drivers before i get rid of the rx580? if something goes wrong ill have to travel to my relatives house with my desktop, and take out a CPU from a system i built for them that has integrated graphics in order to trouble shoot. Im really trying to avoid this. Plug n Play on the rtx 2070 is what im shooting for.......

thanks in advance for the advice and time youre taking here.
Download DDU, wipe all video drivers, remove rx580, install 2070, install Nvidia drivers

Reactions: Desch_

Desch_

Reputable
Apr 29, 2016
Download DDU, wipe all video drivers, remove rx580, install 2070, install Nvidia drivers

sooo that sounds easy.

my concern is after i download DDU, remove rx 580, and install the 2070 --- what if i get no image on screen? i cant install the drivers with no image on screen.

can i do it like this...

download DDU, wipe all video drivers, install nvidia drivers, remove rx580, install 2070? will that cause some potential problems?

sooo that sounds easy.

can i do it like this...

Windows has built in generic drivers. You don’t need the official drivers until after the card is installed.

Reactions: Desch_
Solution

Desch_

Reputable
Apr 29, 2016
Ah thats a relief, thanks. So a clean install would be overdose too. I've never used DDU before, is it fairly fool-proof for removing rx580 and other amd drivers? Thanks dude!

mact

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
Yes. Win will look weird and maybe even 600x800, but it will work and support you for install of new drivers. uninstall the old ones before you reboot. I like to use revo uninstaller but the win version or the old video driver itself might have an uninstall module. (not shilling for them, I get nothing out of it except message that I need to renew...blah blah<G>)