AMD To Release New 'Raven Ridge 2018' Processors This Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

doychin

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
Actually Raven Ridge processors are based on Zen CPU cores on 14nm process. So if there is new Raven Ridge CPU this year it should be based on 12nm process with Zen+ cores.

But that also means they need to move Vega architecture to 12nm process.

If you check carefully there were Raven Ridge APU's released in 2017 that were for mobile market and there were desktop versions of Raven Ridge released on 2018.

It is all possible that they mean these two versions of Raven Ridge.

I hope I'm wrong in this.

P1nky

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
>The first-gen Raven Ridge processors served as the launch vehicle for AMD's Zen 14nm+ FinFET process

Actually there's a slide that you just posted from Hot Chips that says Raven Ridge uses GF's 14nm. There's no 14nm+. :)

P1nky

Distinguished
May 26, 2009

Do you actually have documentation either from AMD or GF that says that Raven Ridge uses "14nm+"? Because I haven't seen any.

GF hasn't announced anything about a "14nm+" process.

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015

Yes, the Raven Ridge reviewers guide has 14nm+ listed. At the time of review, I followed up with AMD's marketing department directly on the matter, and they confirmed that it was NOT 12nm, but rather 14nm+. Believe me, I had the same questions as you.

In either case, this is all marketing mumbo jumbo anyway. 12nm is not an optical shrink of 14nm. The processes have the same feature sizes, die area, and density (AMD has had to restate this repeatedly due to inaccurate reporting from other sites). So, it really is just 14nm with a few process enhancements. AMD also tweaked the die by using faster/leakier transistors in critical pathways, etc.

So, what is really inside Raven Ridge, 14nm or 12nm? Who knows. They call it 14nm+, though.

Aug 22, 2018
Does the naming scheme (if accurate) imply that there will be a desktop 2800/2800X coming out soon that will exceed the Ryzen 2700X's specs? (Article is saying the name will be 2800H and not 2700H)

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

You need to look at when the graph starts. This is relative to their 2014 product stack, and has been an ongoing program they've been talking about for years.

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
What's the point without more CU's?

I think this is more to take the mobile and AIO market for good. No excuses for OEM's this time to pick intel or intel + low end nvidia gpu.

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
So in a way yes, this are 35w mobile APU's 4c/8t as top of the line of mobile/AIO from AMD.

They wanted to squeeze efficiency and clockspeed to they update the core to 12nm.

Yep, and specifically they're referring to a combination of CPU and GPU performance on their notebook processors, averaging Cinebench and 3DMark performance, and comparing that to typical power consumption. Going by their own numbers at least, they claim that last year's Ryzen notebook APUs get 2.47x the performance in those benchmarks compared to their 2014 notebook processors, and consume 0.44x the energy. Together, that would make them around 5.66x as efficient, going by their test criteria anyway, and the release of those processors was only about halfway through their initiative. If they were to increase performance and cut typical power draw by the same amount over the second half of this time period, then that would put them up over 32x by 2020.

Now, I'm not sure their test methodology is 100% sound, as Cinebench and 3Dmark are probably not representative of a typical notebook usage scenario, but I guess the point they are trying to make is that their APUs are getting significantly more powerful while also getting significantly more energy efficient. The exact numbers are probably going to be a best-case scenario though.

Kenneth Barker

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
SWEET! NEW "APU"s that nobody will really care about outside of discount BestBuy PCs... Can't wait to have this thing go by completely unnoticed like every. single. other. APU chip to date.

If we are lucky, it might be used in some laptops nobody will buy too!

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

If you don't care, why go to the trouble of announcing your indifference to the world? It's not like there aren't plenty of other interesting stories in the tech news - no good excuse to be bored, these days.

*I* was actually excited to see this. I was seriously interested in the 2400G, but a bit disappointed in its clock speed, especially relative to the 12 nm Ryzen respin that launched just after. So, I'm definitely hoping for their APUs to undergo similar treatment.

"APU" is just a term for a CPU with integrated graphics, which also applies to nearly every CPU released by Intel. I don't see what there is to possibly not like about a CPU that performs similar to the competition, but that also includes integrated graphics that perform multiple times as fast as what the competition has built into their chips.

And I'm not sure if you are aware, but the vast majority of laptops out there use integrated graphics. Using Newegg's search tools to restrict the results to "new" laptops shipped and sold by Newegg, 541 models are listed as having integrated graphics, while only 62 are listed as having a dedicated card. Even restricting them to models selling for $1000 and up, the ratio is still 302 to 42, and at $2000 and up, it's 56 to 13. Dedicated cards in laptops tend to be kind of niche items outside of gaming-oriented systems, which only make up a relatively small portion of the market.

need4speeds

Distinguished
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/3054/radeon-rx-vega-11

So this makes a laptop match a old gaming system from back in the day.
Something like a PhenomII X4- 955 @3.6ghz with a HD-4870 or i5-760 with a GTX280. I suppose you could either complain it wont run BF1 well or be happy and play games from that era on med to high settings with decent framerates.
Does it play Crysis? Yeah and likely pretty good. To have this in a low wattage laptop apu is great.

need4speeds

Distinguished

Something like a PhenomII X4- 955 @3.6ghz with a HD-4870 or i5-760 with a GTX280. I suppose you could either complain it wont run BF1 well or be happy and play games from that era on med to high settings with decent framerates.
Does it play Crysis? Yeah and likely pretty good. To have this in a low wattage laptop apu is great.

need4speeds

Distinguished

Status
Not open for further replies.