AMD, Toshiba Rumored to be Teaming Up for Branded SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

While we cannot say this for sure both OCZ and Toshiba have not been having the best streak of luck recently with reliability. I have had OCZ SSDs just stop detecting in systems (a lot of them) and the newer Toshiba 7mm HDDs were dying faster than any others out there.

I hope AMD does not get that kind of quality as it will tarnish the brand more than anything.

I also don't see AMD dropping prices. OCZ was already a cheaper alternative to Samsung and Intel but as well they were considered lower end. You pay for that reliability and superior NAND quality with Intel/Samsung/Corsair/Plextor. SSD prices will drop as they become more common, larger sizes and higher density NAND from smaller process sizes become more widely available.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
Slap "AMD" onto a Crucial M4 or M550 and I'd be feeling a lot more easy about this... please, please don't let Toshiba sell a shoddy product with AMD's name tacked to it. That's the last thing they need right now. Maybe they'll have no problems at all, but I'm not putting any money on Toshiba (or OCZ for that matter) reliability.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
if the rumor turns to be true, I think it will be interesting to see how AMDs design will improve on performance for AMD systems and how it performs in AMDs own APU applications as opposed to other SSDs. only real downside to this rumor is that its Toshiba which I have not had any fun dealing with in the past.

That said, I dont think this would help AMD in their economic situation. Sure they are gaining market share and finally turning a profit, but this would most likely just end up like most other AMD venues where they either break even every year or lose money. however its good to see them expand their market, AMD is slowly but steadily getting everywhere.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
OCZ enterprise SSD are excellent they have drives 3.2TB Z-Drive R4 SSD.

They have newer MLC Z-Drive 4500, PCI-Express slot, 3.2TB $6,533, 1.6TB $3,806 and 800GB $2,355. The drives offers endurance of 2.5PB, and random read times of 252,000 IOPS (I/O per second) and random write times of up to 76,000 IOPS.

They come with bundled SW,Windows Accelerator and OCZ’s VXL virtualization

read more here;
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2104420/toshibas-ocz-cranks-up-speed-on-new-32tb-solid-state-drives.html

Enough out dated FUD

john675

Reputable
Apr 6, 2014
OCZ enterprise SSD are excellent they have drives 3.2TB Z-Drive R4 SSD.

They have newer MLC Z-Drive 4500, PCI-Express slot, 3.2TB $6,533, 1.6TB $3,806 and 800GB $2,355. The drives offers endurance of 2.5PB, and random read times of 252,000 IOPS (I/O per second) and random write times of up to 76,000 IOPS.

They come with bundled SW,Windows Accelerator and OCZ’s VXL virtualization

read more here;
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2104420/toshibas-ocz-cranks-up-speed-on-new-32tb-solid-state-drives.html

Enough out dated FUD

Because the average consumer is purchasing a $2,000 enterprise edition ssd? Enterprise hardware is designed to last since it isn't worth the risk to save $200, but lose a client.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
If you had bothered to read you would know which SSDs are not covered:

"OCZ Storage Solutions is unable to provide any warranty support for the following legacy and end of life “OCZ Technology” products that were discontinued over the past year or prior: solid state drives from the following families, Core, Apex, Solid, Solid 2, Solid 3, Colossus, IBIS, Enyo, Nocti, Synapse, Octane S2, Octane S3, Onyx, Petrol, and RevoDrive Hybrid"

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
I agree, take it with a grain of salt, and play it by ear... maybe, just maybe, there would be a nice alternative down the line... 'He don't make sense, she don't make sense... but together they made sense...'

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
I ended up getting the AMD Radeon branded RAM for my intel based system due to the extra 2gig the AMD RAM Drive software offered. The RAM is completely rock solid. If AMD does some kind of bonus incentive and reliability in the same way for their SSDs, I could see this being a success.

JasCola

Honorable
Apr 17, 2013
isn't this AMD only slapping their own brand on top other SSD? this isn't like intel SSD where intel make everything themselves. this remind me radeon branded RAM.

Intel SSD's are made by PQI memory. Not exactly in house.

biohazrdfear

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
So who's ready to see some FAILED DRIVES? :D

Riddle me this; why do you see so many Macbooks go back for repairs? Simple, because of their Toshiba hard drives! Who makes the cheapest hard drives? Toshiba. Who makes the cheaper chipset? AMD.

Looks like I WON'T be getting my hands on these!

That is not true. Their SSDs use Intel/Micron 20nm (for the latest SSDs) NAND. Intel and Micron have been working together for quite a while on NAND.

Their controller is either their own or a SandForce.

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

Actually, the reason why so many Macbooks go back for repairs is the users themselves. Have you seen how most Apple users treat their products? When they're being told they're "perfect" and nothing can go wrong with them, most users treat them like crap. Try dropping any laptop with a running hard drive over and over and see how long the hard drive lasts, regardless of brand. Not saying that Toshiba hard drives may not be of lower quality, but that it's the user base itself in that case.

Status
Not open for further replies.