Question AMD TR3990x build for Foundry Nuke

Sep 23, 2020
Hello, everyone!
I planed build on 64core AMD 3990x
for use in NUKE
The main trouble with it is choosing MB and type of RAM.
Because I plan OC CPU with a pretty decent WC set (Watercool MORA 9x140 rad) and I'm thinking would Asus Strix trx40-E be enough for max overclocking on water? Or better use something else (model?)
And second trouble is the type of RAM.
For Nuke should I use ECC or standard non-ECC ram with higher frequency be better for this use?
And because it's 256GB should I try to find 256GB sets or 64GB or 128GB sets be ok in terms of compatibility?
Be thankful for any ideas!
Have a good day!

alexbirdie

Respectable
I would take ASUS ROG Zenith II Extreme. A very good board, and when buying such an expensive CPU, money should not be saved with buying a cheap motherboard.

Because trx40 does support quad-channel for RAM, at least 4 RAM-sticks are neccessary to use it ( otherwise performance is decreased).

But 8 ramsticks would be very good as well.

That means: 8x32 GB or 4x64 GB (please check qualified vendor list, short QVL on Motherboard-homepage).

Sep 23, 2020
I would take ASUS ROG Zenith II Extreme. A very good board, and when buying such an expensive CPU, money should not be saved with buying a cheap motherboard.
heh, ye I got your point :) It's like saving on matches :) but still, money is money if you not an Arab prince :)
I'm thinking about this board ASUS ROG STRIX TRX40-XE, it seems to have stronger VRM (same as zenith if believing the internet).
Memory is little pain in a***
QVL list number of RAM modules is very short and I can't find lot models which available to me :(
And it's not clear should I use ECC modules or not :)

alexbirdie

Respectable
ECC is mostly important for servers to stabilize in unattended mode. For your private workstation I would take non-ECC-modules.

I googled for NUKE before answering ( because I did not know it), and it seems to be a very expensive and powerful piece of video-producing software. And again I did learn something new.

Reactions: Shteud
Sep 23, 2020
Little hint:

If using 3990x and windows 10, than it should be workstation or enterprise version, not home or pro.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15483/amd-threadripper-3990x-review/3

Or you use linux( if there is a linux-version of NUKE).
Thanks. I read this topic before, but not take it serious.
ECC is mostly important for servers to stabilize in unattended mode. For your private workstation I would take non-ECC-modules.
Ok thx.
But I think should I take 3600 RAM (max I can find in my place) or 3200 be enough for 3990. I mean do i get any benefit from this (money difference is about 300USD on 256GB set)

alexbirdie

Respectable
Thanks. I read this topic before, but not take it serious.

Ok thx.
But I think should I take 3600 RAM (max I can find in my place) or 3200 be enough for 3990. I mean do i get any benefit from this (money difference is about 300USD on 256GB set)
Because it is a quad-channel-system, therefore nearly double speed compared to dual-channel, you will not watch any difference.

Windows 10: home and pro only support up to 32 cores/64 threads for any application, which does not handle more core by its own. The other 32 cores these wind-versions treat as second CPU, that means, it will look like as if it is a double socket-system with 2 CPUs.

And without application-assist windows assigns only 1 CPU to the application, even if much more threads are used by that application and the "2. CPU", means the other 32 cores, will not be used.

If the application recognizes this 2 CPU-situation and is programmed accordingly, then it can use all cores which it needs. But that you must check on the NUKE-homepage.

win workstation and enterprise do support the 3990 as 1 CPU, not as 2, as far as I understand the different reviews about the 3990.

Has to do with the NUMA-architecture ( it is the same for different CPU-architectures - means "NonUnifiedMemoryArchitecture").

Years ago ( and still today) to get more cores and threads, 2 and even more CPUs were neccessary. Every CPU has it onw socket and own path to different memory.

When swapping an application beetwen cores, it was neccessary to copy the used memory , too, and that costs a lot of performance.

Therefore in the operatings systems ( not only win10 or win server) an application can be assigned to only 1 CPU to avoid the performance penalty, either by OS or manually.

English is not my motherlanguage, and I hope, my explanations are somehow understandable.

Reactions: Shteud
Sep 23, 2020
alexbirdie
ye I get the point of this material. or turn off Hyper-threading or go to Workstation edition.

Why I'm doubting which ram speed choose, it's because NUKE is heavy depend from RAM, so extra 400 MHz and maybe some possible ram overclocking would make a big difference.
I understand I need someone who uses Nuke and have the same system to get 100% correct answer, so it's mostly "loud thinking" and some little hope for help ;)

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
alexbirdie
ye I get the point of this material. or turn off Hyper-threading or go to Workstation edition.

Why I'm doubting which ram speed choose, it's because NUKE is heavy depend from RAM, so extra 400 MHz and maybe some possible ram overclocking would make a big difference.
I understand I need someone who uses Nuke and have the same system to get 100% correct answer, so it's mostly "loud thinking" and some little hope for help ;)
Their recommending ECC memory, a separate SSD for a scratch drive and a lot of memory alone with a good video card.

EIDT for the memory a matched set that is on the motherboard QVL list. Spending that much money you need to make sure it works.

For the overclocking the CPU I don't think they have a lot of room without getting into unsafe voltages that cooler is probably overkill. Your talking about 1260mm of rad space you can probably run 2 complete high power PC's with that including the video cards.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2020
Zerk2012
I know it's overkill, but i have it already in old 2x XEON build, it's stupid to sell it for few bucks and buy a new radiator :)
ASUS QVL list has only a few gskills and corsair modules with 32GB density, here in my place, I can only take HYPERX kits :(

Sep 23, 2020
And we back :)
Ok hardware on my hands and now the assembly only left.
And I wonder which voltage will be safe for overclocking on hi-end water cooling setup? :unsure: