AMD Turion 64 X2 and budget of USD $1250 (approx.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

morland

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
Hi,

Due to cost reason I am thinking of buying a bit less expensive Laptop... I have some question related to the thread's subject:

■I assume that amongst AMD processors, AMD Turion 64 X2 is the fastest available for laptops. Right?
■What are the disadvantages if I buy a Laptop which has AMD Turion 64 X2 which is considered to be at par or ideally better than an Intel Core Duo 2 CPU with 667 Mhz. FSB and 4 MB L2 Cache)
■Can you kindly provide the model #/CPU# details of the AMD"s processor which meets/exceeds the above criteria
■Are there any advantages of going with AMD rather than Intel?
■Are there any disadvantages of going with AMD rather than Intel?
■Is there any price difference between the AMD processor (that you are recommending) versus an Intel CPU with the provided specification

May I request for your top 3 recommendations is your budget was around U.K Lbs. 650/ USD $ 1250.

I would be running XP Pro and NO gaming. I have no plans of going near vista as long as possible :)
Mainly the Laptop would be for software development, lots of SQL server related things, and ofcourse use of standard applications like MS-Office, etc. etc. The most I might do (on the graphics side), is use Adobe Photoshop.
The quality of sound/speakers is something that is important . I have seen a few Acer Laptops with literally terrible sound. :eek:

Many advance thanks for your reply, advice, and especially the top 3 recommendations.

Compared to other AMD CPUs, the Turion X2 is the fastest. The Turion X2 is comparable to the Core Duo. The Core 2 Duo is faster though. If you get an AMD CPU, get the TL-60 or better (they go to 64 I think). Right now, the Core2 T7*** series will give you the best performance available. Laptops with Intel CPUs tend to be more expensive for the performance premium. 3 good companies would include Dell, HP and Asus.

morland

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
Thanks for the reply. Appreciate it :)

Asus???? Never heard of this before? Any URL for that?

BTW, How would you rate Sony Vaio FZ140E (I know it's beyond my budget) but would like your opinion.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.