ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I've seen a couple of annoucements about AMD's 'new' Turion Mobile chip. (including <A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050110_124351.html" target="_new">Tom's</A>)

I can't recall hearing about this thing before - have I just been blind or what? :eek:

Anyone know anything? All I've so far seen is that it's 64-bit, and supposed to rival the P-M chips for power consumption (would be great, but I find that unlikely..).

A trial run for some process tweak maybe, that makes stupidly low-voltage A64 chips?

Anyone heard anything else about these? Just curious.

---
"Sex without love is an empty experience...
But as empty experiences go, it's one of the best" - Woody Allen

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I know to a XP-M that's good, but to a Prescott that's really bad.
Well, AMD don't really have the production capacity to produce some completely new architecture, so it's got to be some minor variant of an A64.... and as it's supposedly a competitor for the P-M, it must run at a very low voltage, but it'll have to be clocked around the same to keep up, performance-wise....

Could we be looking at the new XP-M? The only thing that suggests otherwise is the name.... I would expect <i>something</i> to be different, or it would just be called a mobile A64 or something....

---
"Sex without love is an empty experience...
But as empty experiences go, it's one of the best" - Woody Allen

endyen

Splendid
Amd has been working on, and producing low power, low speed chips for internet appliances for a while. Perhaps they had a breakthrough.
Hmm, internet appliance made me think of the LG fridge, with the TV in the door, which made me think that's what Intel should do with the prescotts. Voila, no more heat problems. Oh well, a mind is a terrible thing, or as granny used to say, people who live in glass houses shouldn't.

endyen

Splendid
voltage reduction is it equates to amperage increase
That is only true, if power is constant.
With the 90 nano tech, the gate length is shorter, so it offers less resistance. Lower resistance requires less energy to overcome. Since the gates require less voltage, and less current, the power usage goes down almost exponentially.
Electricity 101
I = current in amps
E = potential energy in volts
R = resistance in ohms
P = power in watts
I=E/R
P=IIR
E=IR
So, if E goes down, and R goes down, P goes down by bothe factors
I hope that's not too confusing, getting more precise would take pages.

endyen

Splendid
I think a 25w A64 is something that should be screamed from the rooftops. I wish they could scream a little more about the A64s. The chips are that good, so why gripe about AMD trying to get a little press.
If it were Intel, the TV ads, with the centurion in full battle dress would be old news by now, even if it was a paper outfit.

imgod2u

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002
Modern semiconductors (especially MPU's) usually use MOSFET transistors instead of junction transistors. So there's usually very little current flowing around. It's usually just the shift in voltage that carries the signal (the electric field) and not the actual current itself.

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
I think a 25w A64 is something that should be screamed from the rooftops.
Remember, that's only for the 1.6Ghz and 1.8Ghz models, which probably are not enough to match dothan's momentum. You have to consider that the flagship 2.0Ghz Turion will have 35W TDP, 30% more than the new flagship 2.13Ghz Dothan.

Add to that that the 2.13Ghz Dothan will carry dual-channel memory and pack PCIe and more bells and whistles, AND be launched within a week, and Turion will have quite a worthy opponent. I'm not saying the 2.13Ghz dothan will certainly outperform the 2.0Ghz Turion, but it will not be easy for AMD at all. The only great trump card Turion has is 64-bits... do the consumers really think that matters with laptops and notebooks?... I have no idea, but we'll find out.

Plus, there's always dothan's excellent overclocking abilities. These show that Intel could probably get a 2.26Ghz out the door if needed by the middle of 2005 or even earlier (I think I even saw "on a market demand basis" somewhere in roadmaps)... that would probably strenghten the centrino platform quite enough to match Turion.

(So in a way, it's good that Turion will be launched - this will probably speed up the introduction of the 2.26Ghz Dothan.)

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Remember, that's only for the 1.6Ghz and 1.8Ghz models, which probably are not enough to match dothan's momentum. You have to consider that the flagship 2.0Ghz Turion will have 35W TDP, 30% more than the new flagship 2.13Ghz Dothan.
Turion will have on-die memory controller, so Turion's chipset should consume less power than Dothan's chipset.

------------
<font color=orange><b><A HREF="http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox" target="_new">Rediscover the web</A></b></font color=orange>

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
Turion will have on-die memory controller, so Turion's chipset should consume less power than Dothan's chipset.
What kinda crack you smokeing?

Xeon

<font color=red>Post created with being a dickhead in mind.</font color=red>
<font color=white>For all emotional and slanderous statements contact THG for all law suits.</font color=white>

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Well, dothan's chipset have a working memory controller, OTOH Turion's chipset shouldn't have any memory controller. That's why I thought Turion's chipset may use less power.

------------
<font color=orange><b><A HREF="http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox" target="_new">Rediscover the web</A></b></font color=orange>

endyen

Splendid
That's a very good point. With a single chip chipset, the Turions may well suck less juice than the Dothans. There is after all, more power used than just the chip. On the other hand, if the Turion uses a 200/400 fsb, the PWMs may suck a lot of power. That was part of the reason for the xp-m using a 133 fsb. Of course if turion uses a lower fsb, the lost mem bandwidth will be less critical, due to the odmc.

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
But the problem is power usage on processors keeps increasing every year by 5-10W in general.

As for AMD Turion I'm near 100% sure now it's just like the situation with XP-M.

[-peep-] dude the process change that created XP-M's allowed them to hit 2.4-2.7ghz+. people are hitting that NOW with Winchesters.

imagine a 3ghz Winchester on air cooling. then stick that puppy in a watercooling setup. omfgownt

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
no dude they released it for that very reason. better to sell 10 XP-M's than one 3200+. it was for the enthustiast community, and it DEFINALY increased peoples respect and enthusiasm for AMD. Hell, i own a XP-M, they rock

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>

endyen

Splendid
The reason Amd released xp-m on s462 is because that's the only way for them to get a chipset. Nobody would make up a chipset, or even a socket, for that few a number of boards.

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
why would they release a barton on a different socket o_O

-------