"AMD, UAlbany Chip Away At Intel's Lead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Advanced Micro Devices Inc.'s plan to site a multibillion-dollar computer-chip plant in Saratoga County puts the region squarely in the middle of a global competition.

Albany now plays a supporting role in a script that pits the second-largest chip maker, AMD, against industry leader Intel Corp...

..."AMD doesn't worry about copy exact, but copy smart--and produce equivalent results," said Bob Johnson, research vice president with Gartner Dataquest, a high-tech market research firm in San Jose, Calif. "The general consensus of the equipment guys out there is that in terms of process control, AMD is the most advanced in the world."

The two approaches come down to money and brains.

"The point is, we have two different philosophies. If you have a ton of money and can afford it, you can do what Intel does," Johnson said. "If money is tight and you have a bunch of smart people, you do the AMD approach."

8)

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/13679691/

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Advanced Micro Devices Inc.'s plan to site a multibillion-dollar computer-chip plant in Saratoga County puts the region squarely in the middle of a global competition.

Albany now plays a supporting role in a script that pits the second-largest chip maker, AMD, against industry leader Intel Corp...

..."AMD doesn't worry about copy exact, but copy smart--and produce equivalent results," said Bob Johnson, research vice president with Gartner Dataquest, a high-tech market research firm in San Jose, Calif. "The general consensus of the equipment guys out there is that in terms of process control, AMD is the most advanced in the world."

"The point is, we have two different philosophies. If you have a ton of money and can afford it, you can do what Intel does," Johnson said. "If money is tight and you have a bunch of smart people, you do the AMD approach."

8)

All right more propganda good work 9cm.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

8)

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/13679691/Sounds like an admission that they're financially strapped. :wink:

Ycon

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Sorry, but how in the world is AMDs process the best in the world?

They clearly fail to get working silicon @ new processes in time and they clearly cant live up to their promises, only after several months, their process meets their expectations (you do know that it has happened over and over again).

Not to mention its actually IBMs process since they do all the work for AMD :lol:

Da_Banig

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
I just realized that all 9-inch's post (567) are all against Intel, I haven't seen anything from him that saying Intel is better than AMD, ALWAYS article bout AMD better than Intel. But ya good job I guess, I hope you won't scream "AMD" with your last breathe...

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006

They clearly fail to get working silicon @ new processes in time and they clearly cant live up to their promises, only after several months, their process meets their expectations (you do know that it has happened over and over again).

Not to mention its actually IBMs process since they do all the work for AMD :lol:
Hey Ycon there giving out 965EE's on the street corner go get em boy!

*Watches Ycon jump out of his seat*

That should keep him busy for a while.

Whizzard9992

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
9-inch needs his own forum, I think. The 9-inch forum - and it needs a hefty disclaimer...

"All posts not regarding to non anti intel claims being made for or against, but not withholding claims regarded to the preatory of AMD's superior market position, shall have thier oversight dismissed under which the conditions above are met, not excluding all material related to (or not withheld from) AMD, shall be purged."

In short, all posts that don't say AMD is better will be ignored or deleted :)

3 cheers for 13ga1 sp34k lol.

Da_Banig

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
Imagine this guys...

If an AMD chip dropped down the river and at the same time HIS mom dropped... I bet he's gonna save the AMD chip instead of his mom!!

9-inch = AMD for Life
Intel for Losers

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
9-inch needs his own forum, I think. The 9-inch forum - and it needs a hefty disclaimer...

"All posts not regarding to non anti intel claims being made for or against, but not withholding claims regarded to the preatory of AMD's superior market position, shall have thier oversight dismissed under which the conditions above are met, not excluding all material related to (or not withheld from) AMD, shall be purged."

In short, all posts that don't say AMD is better will be ignored or deleted :)

3 cheers for 13ga1 sp34k lol.

Or more like, Welcome to the 3-inch forum

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006

It's very interesting, that passage.

I'm not sure if the guy is saying that AMD is far superior to Intel (which they aren't) and much cheaper than Intel (which they aren't), or if he's pointing out that all the smart people he knows aren't so smart, because anyone who is actually smart will use Intel for some systems and AMD for others.

gallag

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
I think Intel abused 9-inch when he was younger.

How can you hate a company so much? And to the other extreme, I think that if Hector Ruise asked you to lick the back of his balls you would happily oblige

Serious question, why do you hate Intel so much??????????

Its obsessive, I think you need to get away from computers for a while; you remind me of Gollum from lord of the rings, that is what you are like. Clutching a K8 and wank1ng yourself into a coma muttering “my precious my precious”

For your own sanity forget about being a keyboard warrior defending AMD against the evil entity that is Intel and get out of the house and do a bit of riding or get high (or both)

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Wrong! They Didnt Fail, Unlike Intel They Are Smart Enuff To Make Sure Stuff Is Working Right Before They Release A Product. Simply Put

FPDB (Floating Point Division Bug) Anyone?

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Wrong! They Didnt Fail, Unlike Intel They Are Smart Enuff To Make Sure Stuff Is Working Right Before They Release A Product. Simply Put

Why bring that up thats like a decade old news.

theaxemaster

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Serious question, why do you hate Intel so much??????????

Its obsessive, I think you need to get away from computers for a while; you remind me of Gollum from lord of the rings, that is what you are like. Clutching a K8 and wank1ng yourself into a coma muttering “my precious my precious”

Funny, that sounds like Intel fanboys for the past oooh 3 years or so. Shouldn't really be surprising at this point.

I think the defenition of a fanboy is not that someone will keep buying a product even though it isn't the best, but someone who refuses to believe that what they have isn't the best.

Some people just don't like how certain companies do business, and if they don't want to take their business there, they don't have to.

dsfgdsfghsdfhftrhrhjrwthr6hthetybhdsfgdsfghsdfhftrhrhjrwthr6hthetybhj4
u5itg56y28dsfgdsfghsdfhftrhrhjrwthr6hthetybhj4u5itg56y28dsfgdsfghsdf
hftrhrhjrwthr6hthetybhj4u5itg56y28dsfgdsfghsdfhftrhrhjrwthr6hthetybhj
4u5itg56y28dsfgdsfghsdfhftrhrhjrwthr6hthetybhj4u5itg56y28dsfgdsfghsd
fhftrhrhjrwthr6hthetybhj4u5itg56y28dsfgdsfghsdfhftrhrhjrwthr6hthetybhj
4u5itg56y28dsfgdsfghsdfhftrhrhjrwthr6hthetybhj4u5itg56y28dsfgdsfghsd
fhftrhrhjrwthr6hthetybhj4u5itg56y28dsfgdsfghsdfhftrhrhjrwthr6hthetybhj
4u5itg56y28dsfgdsfghsdfhftrhrhjrwthr6hthetybhj4u5itg56y28dsfgdsfghsdfh
ftrhrhjrwthr6hthetybhj4u5itg56y28dsfgdsfghsdfhftrhrhjrwthr6hthetybhj4u
5itg56y28dsfgdsfghsdfhftrhrhjrwthr6hthetybhj4u5itg56y28dsfgdsfghsdfhf
trhrhjrwthr6hthetybhj4u5itg56y28dsfgdsfghsdfhftrhrhjrwthr6hthetybhj4u
5itg56y28dsfgdsfghsdfhftrhrhjrwthr6hthetybhj4u5itg56y28dsfgdsfghsdfh
trhrhjrwthr6hthetybhj4u5itg56y28dsfgdsfghsdfhftrhrhjrwthr6hthetybhj4u
5itg56y28dsfgdsfghsdfhftrhrhjrwthr6hthetybhj4u5itg56y28dsfgdsfghsdfhf
trhrhjrwthr6hthetybhj4u5itg56y28dsfgdsfghsdfhftrhrhjrwthr6hthetybhj4u5
itg56y28dsfgdsfghsdfhftrhrhjrwthr6hthetybhj4u5itg56y28dsfgdsfghsdfhftr
hrhjrwthr6hthetybhj4u5itg56y28dsfgdsfghsdfhftrhrhjrwthr6hthetybhj4u5it
g56y28dsfgdsfghsdfhftrhrhjrwthr6hthetybhj4u5itg56y28dsfgdsfghsdfhftrhr
hjrwthr6hthetybhj4u5itg56y28dsfgdsfghsdfhftrhrhjrwthr6hthetybhj4u5itg5
6y28dsfgdsfghsdfhftrhrhjrwthr6hthetybhj4u5itg56y28dsfgdsfghsdfhftrhrh
jrwthr6hthetybhj4u5itg56y28dsfgdsfghsdfhftrhrhjrwthr6hthetybhj4u5itg56
y28dsfgdsfghsdfhftrhrhjrwthr6hthetybhj4u5itg56y28dsfgdsfghsdfhftrhrhjr
wthr6hthetybhj4u5itg56y28dsfgdsfghsdfhftrhrhjrwthr6hthetybhj4u5itg56y
28dsfgdsfghsdfhftrhrhjrwthr6hthetybhj4u5itg56y28dsfgdsfghsdfhftrhrhjrw
thr6hthetybhj4u5itg56y28dsfgdsfghsdfhftrhrhjrwthr6hthetybhj4u5itg56y2
8dsfgdsfghsdfhftrhrhjrwthr6hthetybhj4u5itg56y28dsfgdsfghsdfhftrhrhjrwt
hr6hthetybhj4u5itg56y28dsfgdsfghsdfhftrhrhjrwthr6hthetybhj4u5itg56y28
dsfgdsfghsdfhftrhrhjrwthr6hthetybhj4u5itg56y28dsfgdsfghsdfhftrhrhjrwth

*cough* sorry im alergic to BS

the information above is 45345345354 times more inteligent then 9 inch himself *shrugs*

8)

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
Slinky%20Original%20Metal.jpg

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Why?, Thats Just An Example Of One Of The Famous Intel Fuck-Ups. There Have Also Been A Few In The Recent Past. AMD Hasnt Had Nearly As Many, If Any At All Thus I Trust Them More.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Why?, Thats Just An Example Of One Of The Famous Intel ****-Ups. There Have Also Been A Few In The Recent Past. AMD Hasnt Had Nearly As Many, If Any At All Thus I Trust Them More.
How easily the fanboys forget.

After AMD confirmed the problem, it determined the chips had fallen through a "test escape"--a situation in which a flawed chip passes all tests. In other words, the company says the problem lies in testing, not in manufacturing or design.

http://news.com.com/AMD+replacing+faulty+Opteron+chips/2100-1006_3-6066274.html

carlhungis

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006

8)

NEWSFLASH!!!

AMD might... someday.... build a new fab in NY. How many times does one person have to post the same article? Or was this just so you could bold some new one liners from the media?

Oh and I guess this shows that 9-inch has not been banned as was suspected earlier.

It seems the FUD force is on full alert today.

Legenic

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006

when they say "process control", I don't think they're talking about actual manufacturing process, but more about how the manufacturing is dealt with. sort of like management. that's what I got from it at least.

either way, it's one opinion, and not worthy of a whole thread. but then again, it is 9-inch.

Well, while 9cm IS a fanboy, the article he quoted does reflect one thing: AMD is able to squeeze more out of older manufacturing processes thatn Intel bothers with.

After all, AMD does manage to fit a dual core, 35W 2 GHz chip on a 90nm-processed wafer (using the same fab they had built 2-3 years ago). Intel didn't bother and switched to 65nm - on brand new fabs - for an equivalent result: a dual core chip at low wattage and 2GHzclock speed.

Core design is another matter: AMD designed a winner 7 years ago (my goodness! That much time has elapsed since the original Thunderbird!), and kept it current until now with tweaks and fine-tuning. Not bad for an antiquity... while Intel got lost with Netburst, and pulled out the heavily redesigned P3.

AMD doesn't have as much cash as Intel does; so,
- they can't afford to build new fabs as a shortcut for process mastery,
- they can't afford to develop 2 core designs for the same architecture concurrently.

Intel can pull it off almost as an afterthought, and they still needed 4 years to get back the crown of the most efficient chip design.

Conroe is a fantastic chip that exists now due to the loads of cash Intel can throw around; K8 is an honorable chip that keeps existing due to the ingenuity AMD displayed.

Viperabyss

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006

8)

so he is also an AMD fanboy, and you guys share the same passion. big deal.

its just like another thread you posted. you quoted an AMD tech representatives that said, "AMD is the most technologcal advanced company in the world. AMD pwns all."

wow.. since the statement was made by an AMD representative, claiming that AMD pwns all, so that must be true huh!!

Has anyone benched one of these energy efficient CPUs? Actually, I am interested in see the benchmarks and the OCabilitytogether. They actually built the fab over 6 years ago, the fab opened in 2001, they did a good job in the last 1/2 of 2005 managing the output.
From personal experience, if a chip runs undervolted and doesn't make execution errors, it performs as well as a full voltage version.
For example: my bro' and I both had a Celeron 300A (yes, the Intel legend); we both ran them at 450, and while mine operaed well at 1.9V (instead of nominal 2V), my brother's operated at 1.7V - meaning 50% faster, with 15% less volts than nominal.
Both benched equally well; we had the same motherboards (Abit BH6 rev 1.01). So it's not too far fetched to think that 35W X2 should run as well as 65W ones.

Thanks for pointing out the actual start of the 90nm production; I wasn't sure, so I played it safe. If I remember well, Thunderbird was first manufactured using 130nm... Then a switch to 90nm (integrating L2 cache on chip) that lasted until today.

Thunderbird was not exactly a winner for AMD, they lost the most money in the year Thunderbird peaked (over 1 billion to be exact), granted this was during the steepest part of the downturn, as well as a albatrose of a buisness called flash, but still -- it wasn't the star performer that K8 has been and continues to be.
AMD had troubles the first year mainly because they could push out the CPU, but no-one wanted to develop a chipset, or develop a mobo: remember, amongst the first K7 mobos were unbranded Asus ones. Only when Via (which had won a case against Intel) developed the KT133/A and some mobo makers started using it, did K7 flood the market. And then, all benchies were won by AMD, with a 20% performance lead clock for clock (over P3). AMD's core design was a winner; their initial push to market was truly a burst, though.
K8 added 64-bit, 2 stages to the pipelines, and an integrated memory controller; but the overall core design, including the crossbar system, was already part of the K7.

They get plenty of help from IBM, over 1/3 their fab is funded by german taxpayers and 1/4 will ultimately be funded by New York taxpayers. Though I understand your point, AMD has done a lot with fewer resources.
Stop me if I'm wrong, but Intel does have a few fabs in tax-free areas, like in Mexico - I don't think the German government would finance AMD directly, but exonerate them from taxes and lend them interest-free money, that is highly possible. But I think Intel manages to get a slice of the cake too - it just looks like a drop in a barrel compared with a drop in a small glass...

Recall, K8 was late -- late by means of it was not delivered when AMD said it would be delivered.
True - Intel has a bad habit of botching its top-notch products.
- the 286 memory addressing bug
- the Pentium 60 and its FPU error
- the Pentium 200 and its sub-par performance
- the Pentium Pro and its lack of availability and lackluster 16-bit performance
- Itanium
- the original Celeron 300 (no L2 cache)
- the 430TX and its inability to cache more than 64 Mb of RAM
- the Memory Translation Hub, when they didn't want to deliver a native SDRAM chipset to replace the venerable 440BX
- the 1.13GHz P-3
- Netburst.
AMD had... well...
- K5, which was merely a tweaked 486 (it cost much less, though)
- K6 and its fantastic 16/32-bit integer performance but lackluster FPU/MMX (it sucked, but was still better than Cyrix's abysmal performance)
- reluctance to provide chipsets: 750 and 760, while performing well, were hard to come by
- the integrated memory controller in K8 requires you to change your CPU if you change your RAM type (okay, I'm pushing it)

Still, it is true that AMD is usually late to deliver, but they do deliver - little to no product recall. From what I could get, there only was one case of AMD product recall: a K8 revision could, under high stress caused by an artificial infinite loop, lead to execution failure - meaning it wouldn't ever happen if you backed up your entire DVD collection using insane encoding parameters in DivX.
Compared to Intel's 1.13GHz P3 unable to compile a Linux kernel, that's not much.

only_me

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
Dear 9-inch aka Hella-D,
Having two accounts doesn't make your posts any better!
How do you decide which one to use?
And if you were trying to hide this, you shouldn't post the topic title in the same style that you use when writing Hella-D posts

"AMD, UAlbany Chip Away At Intel's Lead"

First Letter Of Every Word In Capitals

Status
Not open for further replies.