AMD Ultrathins to Knockout Intel Ultrabooks on Price

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Ahh ... AMD and their P-rating .... i want ulta-thin with 16 cores running at rated 300000+Mhz using Intel enabled 3rd party hardware .. now that's innovation.

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]LuckyDucky7[/nom]Then Digtimes is wrong. You see, some of us would like Ultrabooks that actually perform (not just 1000-dollar "look cool" machines like the MacBook Air) a useful purpose.With an SSD in there the difference in processing speed is small. But if we have half-decent graphical capabilities I might consider one.[/citation]
I think it'll have cayman (HD 6900 graphics), i thnk it would've been better to have HD 7700 series graphics but still 6900 is cool, i've never seen a game that can't run on a GFX card HD 6900

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]stardude82[/nom]How much of the supposed price drop will be lower hardware costs versus corner cutting (i.e. plastic enclosures, lower quality monitors, tempered glass instead of Gorilla, and mechanical hard drives)?[/citation]
you're speaking like all ultra-books are aluminum, gorilla glass, SSD .....

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]lordstormdragon[/nom]How can anyone possibly answer this, since no devices have been unveiled just yet?If you're not aware how hard these APUs trounce Intel's offerings across the board for gaming, video performance, and general usage, please go through this site page by page until you're up to speed.It wouldn't be surprising to see some excellent $300 offerings from Trinity, and some nicer $500 ones as well. At $750 or so, the Intelbooks wouldn't have a prayer, and at the same price ($1000-ish) there would be simply no reason to choose an Intelbook at all.For light-duty browsing and entertainment, AMD chips are perfect, and the pricing and competition alone will help force down Intel pricing for fanatics like you (Stardude82) who aren't any good at math yet, but still might possibly know what "lower pricing" would mean across the board.[/citation]
AMD will make ultrathins flexible so the manufacturer can change the specs as he wants unlike intel

at 1000 there should be no less than a crossfired GFX card and a good mechanical HDD (I prefer them to SSD due to the incredible number of R/Ws i make), a great screen and camera, a high-end CPU, tons of RAM, 2xUSB 3.0 and lightning-bolt...
Just like llano laptops (plus the lightning bolt)

BSMonitor

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Good luck with that. AMD is going to sell it's newest APU for $50? Sure. ok. But they don't really have to worry about the cost of chips anymore. They have the Saudi oil people paying for their money burning operations in manufacturing. So maybe they can get away with giving away APUs to get their name in tech forums for a few more years to come.

I love the morons saying they want their "ultra portable" to powerful. Ok. Sure. Let's cram 1600 rendering units into a package with a CPU and then spec the machine at < 1cm and minimal to no fan. Yeah ok. Keep drinking the donkey Kool-Aide genius.

msgun98

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
Ya'll realize AMD's Trinity cannot compete with a ULV SB on CPU performance. An ultrabook today can be a desktop replacement for many graphic designers (albeit with a docking station for another monitor) and other professionals because its more powerful than even the best Core 2 Duo desktop processors and better than some of the non ULV mobile Nehelems. AMD's Trinity will be a great netbook processor that will allow for light office work, content consumption and some pretty respectable gaming.

They are not in direct competition because their strengths are in totally different areas. Though I'd love to see an Intel ULV i7 with a Trinity GPU!

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]TheMaristBoy[/nom]I'm an Intel fan, and I hope AMD can give a nice fight. I wanna see prices go down :3[/citation]
prices will be cheaper but the hardware will be more inferior also...take a look at most of the laptops on the market today, you have cheap ones and you have some that are more expensive....the cheap ones run like the are cheap, on the other hand the ones that cost a little more run and function a lot better...it's a fact

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS