AMD Unveils ATI Catalyst With OpenGL 3.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

OpenGL is more for businesses, with CAD programs, and 3D modeling programs.

They use OpenGL because it's 'open' enough for any programmer to write a code that will show new things,which I think is not the case of Direct X / Direct 3D.
directX has preprogrammed stuff that game developers need to use. Lucky for game developers the functions and possibilities in DX10.x are so many that nearly all possible thought of effects and image generation that could be present in a game, is included.
Those newer versions of DX allow very realistic effects, like water, sunrays shining through objects, and reflections.

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
[citation][nom]bk420[/nom]Finally AMD is delivering.[/citation]

If you hadn't noticed the drivers have been improving ever since amd took over. the 2xxx series was a major improvement, price/graphics/drivers and it's been going up from there. So you can technically say that amd has been whipping ati into shape ever since it acquired them.

anywho, i love open standards, thumbs up for the promise of support.

[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]OpenGL is more for businesses, with CAD programs, and 3D modeling programs.[/citation]

Open GL is also for games. All those Quake 3 based games are OpenGL. There are also other game engines that rely on OpenGL. Quake 1(glquake), HL1(there was also a DX mode, but OpenGL always ran better) and City Of Heroes/Villains are also OpenGL.

OpenGL is a great way to get cross platform gaming as well since its not Windows only like DX.

Here is a lost of OpenGL games
http://home.pacbell.net/freundj/openglgames/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_OpenGL_programs

acecombat

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]LATTEH[/nom]wait what games use OpenGL 3.0? sorry but i dont know LOLim always willing to learn..[/citation]
Most 3D games that are run on linux, or are cross platform use OpenGL

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
[citation][nom]acecombat[/nom]Most 3D games that are run on linux, or are cross platform use OpenGL[/citation]

What games run on Linux ? (Without wine, that is). I don't know of any AAA title that was made to run on Linux natively, so far.

Linux is not for games, get over it already. Gaming wise, OpenGL is not important because of linux games, OpenGL is important because of PS3 and to a lesser extent Mac, but that's it ...

Well of course developers need opengl 3.1, 3.2 first in FirePro. Developers create the new games with these but when will opengl 3.1, 3.2 trickle down to consumer GPU's? Will we need new hardware IE HD5000 to support 3.1, 3.2?

acecombat

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]Cryogenic[/nom]What games run on Linux ? (Without wine, that is). I don't know of any AAA title that was made to run on Linux natively.[/citation]
I never said it had to be a AAA title. I was simply answering a users question in a factual way as opposed to berating a user for using the word Linux in a sentence.
-1 to you sir.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
it is good that Opengl support continues, for all the shit the EU gives Microsoft, DirectX is the biggest monopoly MS has. the biggest problem with openGL is the extensions (tho this is pretty unavoidable, as the same lib has to work on hardware ranging from phones to cards like this). as tessellation will now be on all directX 11 cards, should it really remain an extension?

Hatecrime69

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
[citation][nom]Matt87_50[/nom]it is good that Opengl support continues, for all the shit the EU gives Microsoft, DirectX is the biggest monopoly MS has. the biggest problem with openGL is the extensions (tho this is pretty unavoidable, as the same lib has to work on hardware ranging from phones to cards like this). as tessellation will now be on all directX 11 cards, should it really remain an extension?[/citation]

biggest problem with opengl currently was taking forever for 3.0 and making it very unimpressive as well

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]Matt87_50[/nom]it is good that Opengl support continues, for all the shit the EU gives Microsoft, DirectX is the biggest monopoly MS has. the biggest problem with openGL is the extensions (tho this is pretty unavoidable, as the same lib has to work on hardware ranging from phones to cards like this). as tessellation will now be on all directX 11 cards, should it really remain an extension?[/citation]this is new directx monopoly :))is the developers choice either to use OpenGL or DX not MS`s :p

G

Rage and the id Tech 5 Engine are using OpenGL on PC and UNIX Platforms!
Native Low level Rendering on the PS3 and DX9 o the XBOX360.

Status
Not open for further replies.