AMD Unveils ATI Eyefinity Six Monitor Output

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachary k

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
ok, would love to have 6 monitors, but the space between them would bug the crap out of me, why cant they make a monitor that has a screen that goes the the edge without crap around it?

justiceguy216

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
You could sort of do the 6 monitor thing with 2 Matrox triplehead2go's and dual vga output, but that was expensive as anything. I'm guessing this is a piece of hardware and wondering if they had to pay Matrox for the right to make it...

tektek

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Would be an interesting display when u mod those 6 monitors to remove the edges on the panel and make it seemless! ... ok ok.. so i'm drooling.. your not?!

AdamB5000

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
So is this just like a 50" LCD tv, only with higher resolution and annoying screen dividers?

I'd quicker drop $1,200 on a 1080p LCD than this six screen setup.

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Removing bezels and making a frame for this kind of setup is easy. The panels it self are cheap as chips.

You just need a bit of DIY. If they make this cheap enough, depending on specs, they might gain alot on the Office/productivity suites. In my crummy job i already use 4 Virtual Desktops. 6 real monitores would be great in terms of productivity.

G

AMD just keeps batting them right out of the park. I'm definitely buying some more AMD products in the near future. They just pissed all over the over-hyped Core i5 parade.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Why would you ever do this when you can put it on a 1080P high dev TV and crank the AA?

If there were no screen divders, this would probably be awesome... but apparently engineers don't realize this is actually retarded.

Even the thin bezel dividers on the Samsung are too much.

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
that would be much more convenient than having 3 PCI express cars as I currently do but what if you just want to play on one mon and have the rest as multiple desktops? I hate the bezels...they are distracting in games...

cybrcatter

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
This could possibly be great timing if OLED monitors really start penetrating the market soon. Some of the OLED displays i've seen have bezels of merely a few millimeters, and some only on two side.
Otherwise, I agree with some of the other posters; those edges would just p!$$ the hell out of me.

stormvice

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
It´s great for CCTV systems. I work with 6 monitor solution for monitoring 576 cameras with a single PC. It´ll be great to reduce the machine to a single-card setup.

"AMD boasts that the Eyefinity is able to combine so many displays that it'll be able to produce a resolution that approaches "eye-definition optical clarity" at 12 times 1080p high-definition. With a combined theoretical resolution of 268 megapixels, AMD says that it is roughly equivalent to the resolution of a 90 degree arc of what the human eye sees."
Its right there in black and white if you read the article.....a single monitor, no matter what the physical screen size is, simply does not have enough horizontal/vertical pixels to even come close to the total resolution of a 6 monitor setup. /facepalm @ posters

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
With current LCD technology the distance between monitors can not be removed. In best custom mod it will be at least 1cm. Currently there is only one technology that allow the space to be in the range of 2mm. DLP monitor from Mitsubishi. At work I have 5x2x68" video wall. When you have 5-6cm between the monitors the color imbalance is not big problem, but once you get the gab reduced less then 4mm it becomes a real problem. The smallest color difference is really distracting. So if you ask me, for games get a supper hi-res projector and good screen it is much better. This setup is cool for professionals that are in need to keep eye on big amount of data in real time, like process operators, stock market brokers, aviation, traffic, and etc control applications.

G

Just imagine using the EyeFinity with Multiple NEC CRV43 monitors :)

ozzman24

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
What the hell is up with pic 3? I know it's more less a PC without a case, or is it? Anyone know where I can find out more about a setup like what's in pic 3?

ptroen

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
What will probably end up happening is moniter makes will not make bigger displays but find ways to connect the display so the edge's aren't so obvious. I mean the displays are lcd displays are flat afterall. I industry standard for this would be even nicer but that's probably asking 4 too much.

Hellbound

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
[citation][nom]Impulse Fire911[/nom]omfg cmon im just waiting for the article of the 5800 series CMONNNN card looks beast tho ill get it if i can[/citation]

You and me both..

the last resort

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
I find it funny that in the main pic where the man is "playing" Race Driver: GRID is actually holding the controller while the replay is running.

But man, I'm drooling. GRID at that resolution and size would be AWESOME.

Status
Not open for further replies.