News AMD Unveils Big Navi: RX 6900 XT, RX 6800 XT and RX 6800 Take On Ampere

Sep 13, 2020
Well, I am very interested in the temperatures and noise levels the 6800xt will produce. TBP 300 W and significantly smaller cooler than the 3080 do not bode all too well.
AMD has a track record for hot running noisy cards. Performance look amazing but need to be verified. If AMD kept noise level and temperatures in check the 6800xt is an amazing card but we do not know that yet.

Same concerns go for the 6900xt same size, even more performance, I hope this is not bought by frying pan temperatures and jet engine noise.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
If these numbers hold up in real world testing, then I expect AMD has the edge this GPU generation. More VRAM, similar performance, lower price, less power consumption...yeah, no-brainer here. Hopefully AMD is able to keep up with demand and doesn't do a paper launch like Nvidia did.

I wonder if I'll be replacing my 1070 with a 6800XT. We'll see early next year. I used to have a 7950 HD, so switching between AMD and Nvidia is no big deal.

Disappointing to see the lack of talk on Ray Tracing. Seems like Navi2 doesn't have the same ray tracing capability/performance as Nvidia. I'm going to be watching for ray tracing performance testing VERY closely.

Also, Radeon Boost is fine, but DLSS/DLSS2.0 is far superior.

Reactions: sstanic

Jim90

Distinguished
Stunning results and stunning prices. Nvidia is in serious trouble - the 3080 is almost confirmed DOA, that 3090 is certainly confirmed DOA!!!
I can't see where Nvidia can go from here apart from significantly cutting pricing - and if they've already sold a 'significant' number of 3080/90's (according to Nvidia and frequently reminded by the trolls here) then they're gonna have some very pissed folk.
Oh yes, almost forgot - didn't Jarred at Tom's state, in his recent article, that AMD's recent 6000 demo was their top card and that he would NOT believe otherwise ???? Nvidia and Intel-paid shills everywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pes2020

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
And now we wait a little more to see how many of the claims are true/not true. So far:
3090, the 8K gaming beast: That was bullcrap; only possible in cherry-picked scenarios. It's a halo card, so not much else to say here.
If you got the cash and you want the best regardless, ~ayyy!

3080: They lied here too. On average, the uplift over the 2080 wasn't quite as high as they claimed - still impressive, but it's necessary to roast PR/marketing because at the end, it does no good to lie/stretch the truth; people are going to find out eventually.

3070: This one was pretty much on point.

If AMD actually delivers, the 6800XT will be my next gpu. Or I may just stretch the buck a bit and aim for a 6900XT instead.
Just gotta wait a little more...

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Disappointing to see the lack of talk on Ray Tracing. Seems like Navi2 doesn't have the same ray tracing capability/performance as Nvidia. I'm going to be watching for ray tracing performance testing VERY closely.

Also, Radeon Boost is fine, but DLSS/DLSS2.0 is far superior.

The card isnt reviewed yet and a fanboy is claiming "far superior"

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have to admit, I thought they were going to have cards that definitely gave the RTX 3070 and 3080 a run for their money, performance-wise, match or slightly do better than Nvidia on power/performance, and definitely offer a better price/performance value.

It's a mixed bag on the efficiency aspect, and on the price/performance, depending on which card.

I absolutely did NOT expect them to go gunning for the 3090. I really thought the top Big Navi would be the 3080 competitor, and am pleasantly surprised that they did so.

Can't wait to see the results when Jarred gets a hold of these cards.

Reactions: saltyGoat11

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
And now we wait a little more to see how many of the claims are true/not true. So far:
3090, the 8K gaming beast: That was bullcrap; only possible in cherry-picked scenarios. It's a halo card, so not much else to say here.
If you got the cash and you want the best regardless, ~ayyy!

3080: They lied here too. On average, the uplift over the 2080 wasn't quite as high as they claimed - still impressive, but it's necessary to roast PR/marketing because at the end, it does no good to lie/stretch the truth; people are going to find out eventually.

3070: This one was pretty much on point.

If AMD actually delivers, the 6800XT will be my next gpu. Or I may just stretch the buck a bit and aim for a 6900XT instead.
Just gotta wait a little more...
The 6900XT looks pretty attractive compared to the 3090 for gaming. For $500 less, you can forgive the short comings in the feature set of the 6900XT. The 6800XT on the other hand does not look particularly appealing compared to the 3080. $50 cheaper isn't enough for basically the same performance with inferior ray tracing and no DLSS counter.

Reactions: thisisaname