AMD Unveils its Heterogeneous Uniform Memory Access (hUMA) Technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
"Lover development costs as the more efficient architecture enables less people to do the same work" I think we should lower the development costs instead of trying to love it :p

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
"the Radeon 9700 Pro could provide a performance of 31.2 GFLOPS of performance, 5 years later the Radeon HD 2900 XT offered 473.6 GFLOPS and by 2012, the Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition was capable of computing 4301 GFLOPS - an increase of 13,700% when compared to the HD 2900 XT."
I think you meant compared to the 9700 Pro... The difference between the 7970 and 2900XT is 908%, or 9-times the GFLOP performance.

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
"Lover development costs as the more efficient architecture enables less people to do the same work" I think we should lower the development costs instead of trying to love it :p

Philippe Leblanc

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013
As usual, AMD is ahead of the curve in terms of ideas. This is trully a good leap of progress and will set the tone for HPC computing for the next decade. However, they are usually behind the curve in terms of implementing their awesome ideas. AMD get this stuff to market as soon as possible!!!

ct001

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
I figured this would happen sometime. It'll be nice when the ususal APIs (OpenGL/Direct3D) support this directly but until then drivers should still be able to optimize for older applications. This tight integration has been needed for a while and should open up alot of new techniques.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
AMD Unveils its Heterogeneous Uniform Memory Access (hUMA) Technology? Of course... it will be in PS4... the 8 core + GPU + 8Gb of GDDR5...

long story short, AMD plans to further utilize their superiority in the GPU department over Intel to boost their systems' overall performance, hoping to catch up and surpass intel in the coming years. hmm, lots of hurdles to jump through but sounds promising. nice work and good luck to you AMD!

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Kaveri (which is based on Steamroller) will basically roll out with this feature.
On top of that... AMD stated that they were focusing on fixing single-threaded performance on Steamroller cores and that with all the modifications, 30% to 40% performance gains in CPU performance should be seen.
So effectively speaking, the 1 module that contains 2 cores won't behave like a single core Intel CPU, but instead will behave like 2 cores i series CPU.
Right now (at least in the mobile area), the A10 4600m is comparable to an entry level i5 Ivy Bridge in terms of overall CPU performance.
If Kaveri CPU performance reflects AMD statements, then quad core Kaveri APU's will basically be comparable to Ivy Bridge/Haswell in CPU power alone... and probably surpass Haswell in IGP performance.
Adding to all of this, seeing how consoles like PS4 and Xbox have adopted AMD x86 hardware, it hUMA will probably find itself in widespread adoption... not to mention utilization in multicore cpu's, and adoption of x86 instruction set (it will be far easier to port games from consoles to PC's... they should be far more optimized compared to what's done today).
And of course, graphics will likely experience a very high jump.
All in all, I'm interested to see what Kaveri brings.
I just hope that OEM's decide to build proper mobile platforms for those APU's instead of putting an A10 4600m into a 17" monster.
Current AMD APU's are ideal for 15" and lower form factors... but their adoption is extremely low to the point of non-existance.
Heck, even AMD's mid-range mobile 7xxx series GPU's cannot be found virtually anywhere.

hannibal

Distinguished
Hmmm. well it is time to AMD really use that GPU advantage it has so far compared to Intel, because in reality it is the only advantage at this moment. Just hope that programmers start allso utilising these. or we really have only one real choise... Intel... We need to have more than that just to keep the competition going. The articel says that CPU developmen has been slow... yep... we should have at least 12 core CPU prosessors at this moment. I mean 12 core Hasvell would be nice to have. In that case the ingrease in compute power would be more in scale with GPU compute power. The GPU type prosessor is better for compute, but because AMD have had production problems with CPU's compared to Intel has lead that CPU have not been used to full extend... We should have had 8 core during the time of phenemo I and II and first intel core CPU and after that 12 and 16 core by now in consumer level... But no... The CPU have become cheaper and cheaper to produce, but they stay the same with 5-10% increase with each production node... *sigh*
If AMD can put some pressure on Intel with heavy use of unified CPU GPU computing we can see somewhat faster advancement allso in CPU department...

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Respectfully, can you please have a conversation the editor who cleared this article and the person(s) who is (are) responsible for your comments section. Both are not doing their jobs properly.

Please see below:
"In addition to the "Top 10 Reasons" noted in the above slide, AMD cites an additional six benefits that its hUMA technology brings to both developers and consumers:" -> Horrible sentence structure -> Additionally, AMD cites six benefits to its hUMA technology for both developers and consumers.

"Lover development costs as the more efficient architecture enables less people to do the same work" -> Lower development costs come from improved efficiency and enable smaller resources for the same job.

Better experiences through "radically different user experiences" -> What does this mean? Sounds like marketing gibberish.

"Further information on this technology" -> Further information about this technology.

Respectfully, please correct the above.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Time will tell whether it's a success or flop, but based off all that hard work AMD put into Fusion it isn't yet paying off. Hopefully this or something can turn AMD around again.

kickmyjiminy

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I'm glad I didn't buy into the APU architecture already. The idea of integrated graphics on a desktop didn't really appeal to me at first, but with advancements like this, and the fact that you can add discrete cards in addition to the IGP, makes it all look pretty promising.

m32

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
Putting all your eggs in one basket? We will see in the next 2 years how it turns out. I seems good, but you never know.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006

Both. It's uniform memory access for heterogeneous architectures. The two aspects are complementary, not mutually exclusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.