News AMD updates Zen 5 Ryzen 9000 benchmark comparisons to Intel chips — details Admin mode boosts, chipset driver fix

Jagar123

Prominent
Dec 28, 2022
Meh, to me Zen 5 is still a bust. I'll be upgrading soon, just waiting for Arrow Lake and 9000x3d to see where I can get the most gaming performance at a good price. If it all stinks I'll just get a 7800x3d and be happy.

Reactions: Guardians Bane
Meh, to me Zen 5 is still a bust. I'll be upgrading soon, just waiting for Arrow Lake and 9000x3d to see where I can get the most gaming performance at a good price. If it all stinks I'll just get a 7800x3d and be happy.
Sure...

9950x.jpg

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
What a trainwreck. AMD can't even agree with themselves in their press release. They state 2 different gaming performance improvements in this release.

For our Ryzen 9000 launch, AMD internal labs generated data that showed a 9% average generational uplift in 1080P gaming versus Ryzen 7000 Series,
Little further down
On a generational basis, Ryzen 9000 Series delivers a ~10% improvement in productivity and creative workloads, ~25% improvement in AI workloads, and 5-8% improvement in gaming over the Ryzen 7000 Series.
These are cut and pasted from the press release on AMD's website. Last time I checked, 9 doesn't fall between 5 and 8. No where in the release does it say 9% were their "original" results and now things have changed.

https://community.amd.com/t5/gaming...mmunity-update-gaming-performance/ba-p/704054

May 28, 2024
I'm doing the same thing. Waiting on both to see reviews of X3D vs ARL. Like you, I might just go with a 7800x3d also. Price/performance just isn't there with 9000x currently.

Reactions: Jagar123

sjkpublic

Reputable
Jul 9, 2021
Microsoft VBS is a kluge for 3rd party vendors and security. And it kills off any competing vendors to HyperV. I agree that both AMD and Intel have to deal with this kluge. My take is at the end of the day the overall performance between Intel and AMD is about the same. But AMD uses less power. Go green.

Reactions: Hotrod2go

sjkpublic

Reputable
Jul 9, 2021
Oops. Forgot this fact. Intel controls Thunderbolt 4. USB 4 is just a subset. If it were not for Thunderbolt 4 and the fact that Intel is US based (firmware/bios) vs AMD which is worldwide, I would not even bother with Intel. If the shit hits the fan go with Intel.

May 28, 2024
I assume the point is that the results suggest maybe the 9000 is actually pretty decent but windows is such a mess that it's unreasonably handicapped in those results.
While true, it still isn't indicative of what most consumers get out of the box. And till MS and AMD come up with something to fix the bugs, those Linux results won't show most people what they can expect currently.

Reactions: Jagar123

baboma

Notable
Nov 3, 2022
>I assume the point is that the results suggest maybe the 9000 is actually pretty decent but windows is such a mess that it's unreasonably handicapped in those results.

The "Windows sux" narrative is popular with the hoi polloi, and spin doctors always reach for it. It's low-browed scapegoating.

It's the HW vendor's responsibility to provide (and optimize) drivers for an OS, be it Windows or Linux. It's not the OS' responsibility.

The reality is that AMD launched Ryzen 9K with subpar driver support, and will need to be improved. AMD implicitly stated this in its blog piece.

Dual-CCD thread scheduling is an AMD issue, just as hybrid-core scheduling is/was an Intel issue. Heterogeneous thread scheduling AFAIK isn't a simple thing.

Mattzun

Commendable
Oct 7, 2021
This still doesn't cover all of the Zen 5 weirdness on Windows.
It really does seem like they just weren't ready to launch and that they still don't have good drivers.

The "Admin" mode seems to affect both Zen4 and Zen5, so 24H2 changes won't improve relative performance.

VBS seems to have an unusually large effect on Zen 5 vs Zen4 in some games

Its weird that you need core parking on all dual CCD Zen 5s, when it was only needed for X3D versions of Zen 4
Being able to uninstall the core parking driver doesn't explain why its needed

I didn't see any explanation why memory compatibility is better in Zen 4 than Zen 5

codex5600x

Prominent
Apr 20, 2023
They say this generation it's not for gaming, a CPU ist not use only for gaming, they have a CPU dedicated for gaming.
The 9000 series are focus for web, ai, workstations, etc were need a good performance with less heat and power consumption

phxrider

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2013
I have been saying, and still say, people should hold off on final judgement for a few months while the kinks are worked out with Zen 5. For the moment it looks like a flop, but I'd give them (AMD and MS, and potentially game devs) time to optimize things for it.

Alpha_Lyrae

Commendable
Nov 13, 2021
Oops. Forgot this fact. Intel controls Thunderbolt 4. USB 4 is just a subset. If it were not for Thunderbolt 4 and the fact that Intel is US based (firmware/bios) vs AMD which is worldwide, I would not even bother with Intel. If the shit hits the fan go with Intel.
Intel controls TB4, yes, but USB4 is based on TB3, which Intel donated to USB-IF, royalty-free for USB4 specification.

AMD is a US-based company. Not sure where everyone is getting this misinformation about AMD. Intel, AMD, and Nvidia are all US companies that also do business in China, though there are US restrictions and export controls on US silicon to China.

As for needing the PPM/X3D driver on dual CCD chips, I think it's necessary given the regression in CCD-to-CCD latency vs Zen 4. It's better to simply stop any depedent threads from being placed there, as the penalty is even higher now, if scheduler accidentally allows a cross-CCD thread placement. The CCDs have to communicate through IOD at the IMC/RAM, so it's always been wise to prevent any cross-CCD processing. Workloads should be decently parallel with no dependencies between CCDs. Gaming generally doesn't fit that workload type.