AMD user going AMD, how is this setup?

jonetic

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
Hey guys. I'm finally getting a chance to upgrade from my current setup and would like to know what you think.

Current setup;
AMD 3700+ 2.21ghz cpu
Asus A8N deluxe mobo
2 gb (512x4) ram
nVidia 9800 gtx+

For the new system, I don't want to overclock but I do want something fast. I will be re-using the 9800 gtx+ on the new build.

Intel E8500 3.16ghz wolfdale cpu
Asus P5K SE 775 LGA motherboard
G.skill 2x2gb DDR2 1066 ram

I am skeptical about the motherboard, however. I chose it because I saw in a thread they were great boards, and the price is awesome as well. However, I saw the thread was dated around 2004 I think. Is it still good? I figure with 1333/1066 FSB and DDR2 1066, it should be quick.

Thanks for the input.

What is the frequency of the RAM? If it is a high DDR2 freq, you should reuse some of that RAM.

800MHz RAM is fine, you don't need 1066.

How much is the mobo? You can get a good intel mobo for ~$100

Sell the rest of your old system on ebay or craigslist

Well the OP doesnt want to overclock...
So going with a DDR2 800 with low timings is better than a 1066MHz RAM...

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Particularly with M/B's. With a video card it's no big deal to be missing the driver disk, with a M/B if you a missing the I/O plate for the case you are screwed.

jonetic

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008

wiener or winner? I have yet to look into how P4's compare to Phenoms, or even how duals compare to quads. What's the best bang for the buck? I have some reading to do...

Wiener as in WINNER !!! :p

Even going from the 3700+ to the PhII 720BE will be a verry big leap in performance. If you are not encoding video it would be the best way to go for 'bang for buck'

Check out the Asus 750a SLI if in the future you wish to add a friend for your GTX - or just dip your toes into an AMD chipset and buy yourself a really nice ATI card for the holidays.

I'll let you pick the holiday - lol

jonetic

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
OK since I have some time to do some research I am looking into the phenom x4 more and I LIKE IT! I have never had intel and I don't mind supporting underdog innovative companies, plus this thing looks powerful.

Question; does "Phenom X4/Phenom X3" have to be listed in the CPU type field when I'm searching mobos? If so, 3 mobos came up, 1 of which was AM2+....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010200022%201071046743&name=Phenom%20II%20X4%20%2f%20%20Phenom%20II%20X3

As far as that biostar combo listed, no thanks =D not even for $50

OP looks good ... get a second 9800+ card and run SLI for a decent improvement in graphics power / res. I like the ASUS mobos ... each to his own tho.

Considering a Phenom II also has merits as you could get a fast quad for the same price ... economically very competitive against the core2duo and core2quads.

Bit more future proof too ... as more of the newer games start to make use of the extra cores.

A fast E8 series cpu is still a great gaming choice tho.

Good luck.

binwhui

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
ddr2 800 rams are good enough.. stay with it..
you're better off staying with amd right now.. their phenom II x3 720 BE is great..:D

Any of those boards are fine - if you want a much greater selection simply look under AMD motherboards for 790gx (or -fx) motherboards. Select a brand with features your like, click on manufacturer web page and verify cpu support (should not be a problem).

And you may want to rethink your concept of Biostar - especially with a PhII 720BE and 790gx. The 'perception' is not what it seems ... :)

The Third Level

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
I think it would work, but you MAY need a BIOS update. Check the manufacturer website for a list of all supported CPUs. That list is more indepth than the Newegg one.

AM3 support on the Foxconn 790gx (as in the Phenom II 720BE and quite possibly the 955) was in a BIOS update that came out in late Feb or March - and IIRC there have been subsequent BIOS updates.

Now. If you have really good Karma there may be a magic Easter egg in it for you. Don't count on it - but lookie here --->>

On the internets there has been a debate on-going about the 4th core on the PhII 720BE. Some folks have been able to engage the 4th core by setting ACC to 'Auto' in the BIOS and maintain a stable 25-30% overclock. The Biostar 790gx seems to be the board of choice in doing this but Foxconn, Gigabyte and Asus mobos with the sb750 are doing it, too.

Nobody seems to know why this is - and AMD ain't talking.

The reason I told you this ---> some folks who successfully engaged the 4th core and, let's say OC'ed to a stable 3.4GHz or so, decided to update their BIOSs and subsequently lost the 4th cores.

The lesson here: Don't update the BIOS unless you have a problem