AMD Uses onboard graphics + GPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xTehOnex

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
Hello,
I was just wondering if it's true that motherboards that support AMD graphics (Integrated)
Example: ASUS M5A88-V EVO

Will no work co-cooperatively if you also install a AMD GPU to the motherboard.

In other words, will the computer combine the speeds of both these components? Friend told me this today, but I'm not sure that I believe him...
Just wondering though cause I want to get a new motherboard + CPU, but might consider even a new GPU as well if it will work better with the new build.
(Currently using Nvidia card)

What do you guys think?

Solution
It is technically true, it's called hybrid crossfire, but only worked on really low end cards like a 3450 and showed limited performance gains. Your current board wouldn't be able to do that with new cards, and even the cheapest of new cards would perform better on their own.

AMD now does hybrid crossfire with the new llano series of APUs, they have an integrated video card on the processor itself instead of the motherboard, and can crossfire with Radeon 6000 series cards up to the 6670. Once again lower end cards.

To sum it up, it is possible, but not worth the cost and would give horrible gaming performance. I'm not sure what your current Nvidia card is, but it'll probably be slower.

loneninja

Distinguished
It is technically true, it's called hybrid crossfire, but only worked on really low end cards like a 3450 and showed limited performance gains. Your current board wouldn't be able to do that with new cards, and even the cheapest of new cards would perform better on their own.

AMD now does hybrid crossfire with the new llano series of APUs, they have an integrated video card on the processor itself instead of the motherboard, and can crossfire with Radeon 6000 series cards up to the 6670. Once again lower end cards.

To sum it up, it is possible, but not worth the cost and would give horrible gaming performance. I'm not sure what your current Nvidia card is, but it'll probably be slower.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.