AMD v. Intel

Diamond4D

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
Ok, please inform me if I am incorrect but this is information I have picked up over the internet and throug company employees.

Battle One: Price
- AMD is raising prices to increase demand.
- Intel will be lowering prices on non-hyper thearding CPUs to increase demand in HT.

Battle Two: Heat
- AMDs are much hotter than Intel, therefore making Intel more effienct in a Mhz to Heat Ratio.

Battle Three: Extras
- AMD has been slowly increasing processor capacity and FSB while Intel has added Hyper-Threading, 800Mhz FSB (200x4), and is nearly 1000 Mhz faster than the nearest Athlon.

Now from this, I would be most inclined to buy an Intel in a couple months, say a 3.0Ghz w/ 800 FSB w/o HT when prices drop rather than and Athlon 3000. So I'm wondering, why is everyone so hung up on Athlons? They used to be great because they were cheaper than Intel, and in some respect they were faster. But jumping into the Intel price range is really going to make sales decline and I think most consumers will defintly go Intel at that point.

Diamond4D

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
I've have read that AMD, within the next couple of months will be rasings the prices of some of there CPUs to increase demand. How ever that works.

Prof133

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2003
Yeah, I too read an article that hinted at a price increase in AMD processor prices but that was followed by a price drop. Don't know if the article was misinformation or if the price increase is scheduled for a later date.

bikeman

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2002
This thing about raising prices <i>should</i> be a typo ... My economics course thought me that once you lower the price, demand will raise and vice versa. Excpetion are Veblen-goods, if I recall correctly. Things like some clothes actually sell because they are expensive. But that is not going to happen in this little CPU-world, I guess ..

Greetz,
Bikeman

<i>Then again, that's just my opinion</i>

bikeman

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2002
AMDs are much hotter than Intel ...
In general, yes, P4's run cooler than Athlons. Though that's not because of the fact that AMD's dissipate more heat. Actually, the highest clocked P4's can dissipate more heat than the fastest AXP's. But because of the smaller die-size of the AXP (about 80 square mm vs 120 for the P4?), it is way harder to get rid of the heat. The heat transfer by conduction is linearly proportional to the surface through which the heat has to pass, and also to the difference in temperature. So to dissipate the same amount of heat through a smaller surface, you 've got to have a bigger difference in temperature. And that's why in general AMD's are hotter than P4's.

So far my sience-talk for today ...

Greetz,
Bikeman

<i>Then again, that's just my opinion</i>

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
1 AMD would not raise price to increase demand. It doesnt work like that. In fact the direct opposite.

1.5 I dont know what intel will be doing with their HT or non-HT CPU`s so I cant comment.

2 The T-Bred B CPU`s are auctaly cooler than equilivent Intel CPU`s. Example the 3.06gighz P4 is auctaly the hottest CPU there is on the general consumer market. But as someone else said because the DIE is smaller on AMD the heat is more concentrated so it seems to be more heat on AMD. But in fact it is intel that is the hotter CPU.

3 Intel are adding HT and increasing the BUS just to beat AMD. It is not to widen the gap to to make a gap between them. As Intel needs all that extra stuff just to beat AMD that is the reason they are adding it.

Last because of the MASSIVE price drops of AMD CPU`s a short while ago AMD is once again cheaper along the whole range.
AREA_51

'It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames'

dhlucke

Polypheme
Just buy whatever will do the task and is within your price range. You have to consider memory and motherboard prices and performance as well though.

<font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=blue>BLESS</font color=blue> <font color=red>AMERICA</font color=red>

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
You have obviously made up your mind so what's the point of this post? Simply buy whatever you think it's best for you, THE END!

And since as far as I can understand you are an Intel fanboy, the only thing I'd like to say to you is simply to wish that Athlon64 is a success. I assume that there is no need to explain why.

reever2

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2003
In regards to the heat comments, AMD is past that. Ace from aces hardware has comfirmed that the opteron is very cool running and is only slightly warm to the touch.

Lamoni

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
And since as far as I can understand you are an Intel fanboy,...
Well, if you must label everyone as some type of a fanboy, then I see how you got that. From your post, I would have to say that as far as I can understand you are an AMD fanboy. And if I would be categorized as a fanboy, I would probably be in the AMD camp also.

However, when I read his post I didn't find anything fanboyish. If someone hears information supporing Intel over AMD, they state what they hear, and ask what reasons there are for choosing AMD... that sounds like someone wants to be objective and make an informed decision.

Sorry, I just hear people accusing people of being a fanboy so much that I am a little tired of it. He was asking for advice. If you don't believe that Intel is a better choice, say why.

If you want the best performance, there is no reason to buy AMD right now because the fastest P4 is the fastest CPU at this time. The reason why AMD cpu's are so popular still is that they are cheaper... especially at the low-end. The Barton 3000+ is way overpriced, but don't judge all of AMD's prices on the price of one CPU. Why go with Intel if you can get the same performance and same stability/reliability for less money?

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
Auctaly the Barton just dropped 47% in price just a week ago. So the Barton is WAY cheaper than the 3.06 P4 now.
AREA_51

'It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames'