Question AMD Vega 56 Coil Whine

I have been building myself a new computer recently, and have been having no issues. I bought a number of things, and Ill list them here.

EVGA 750 BQ, 80+ Bronze 750W (This is the oldest part, bought February, 2018. The rest was bought within a few weeks.)
ASRock B450M-Pro4 Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Cooler
16GB 3200MHz DDR4 from Corsair

Up until this point, I everything was fine. The only part of my old computer I was still using was my GPU, an EVGA GTX 1050 2GB.
I then bought myself a new GPU, about a Month after I bought the rest of the parts. I got the Sapphire Pulse RX Vega 56 8GB.
I know the Vega 56 are known to have coil whine under load, but this card is VERY loud. I have to use an FPS limiter (usually whatever a game has built in), to stop myself from hearing the card while gaming. This worked ok, not great, but better than nothing. The final straw here, was on the second or third day, I began to hear noise even at idle. Watching YouTube or browsing the internet was enough to create Audible coil whine. While much less than while gaming, but it was still noticeable. The sound appears to be coming from both my GPU and PSU, though it is much, much louder from my PSU.

My question is what can I do? I know my PSU is high enough wattage, and should be a good brand. Why is it making such a noise, even when it should be more than capable of what I'm asking, and what can I do about it?

Last edited:
I would say that BQ is good psu.
The coil whine can come from either PSU (Ripple, DC doing sine wave) or GPU itself.
I know that my RX 480 had coil whine, but I hot glued it cause buyer asked me to do it, and it did work well, I could hear it slightly.
The only point is to "find" which coil is "Crying".

Do you have any advice on how to find what coil is "crying" and what to do about it once I find it? And since the PSU should be fine, would there be any benefit to replacing it, even just as a test? I wouldn't think so, but I'm not sure. One thing I did was test my Vega 56 in a Friends system. The GPU also made noise in his computer, but it was less noticeable. He also has an EVGA 80+ PSU, but his is a 1200 Watt. Im thinking that maybe the GPU is taxing a specific part of my PSU, and that part is more capable in the 1200W PSU, therefore the noise was less.

TRENDING THREADS