[SOLVED] AMD Vega experts, is this a solid upgrade?

killerabdb

Proper
Apr 3, 2018
Hey guys, I currently have an RX 580 8GB. I ordered a Sapphire Radeon RX VEGA 64 Nitro+ and I want to know how much of a performance increase I could expect compared to the RX 580? I got it for £398.99 which came with a free 3 games bundle worth £150. Anyway, how much more powerful is the Vega 64 compared to the RX 580 8GB? (I have a Red Devil)

Most people said get an Nvidia GPU as it consumes much less power compared to the Vega 64, but I didn't because I have a FreeSync monitor and Gsync is expensive for me. I also ordered a Corsair RM850i power supply which was recommended to me as a solid power supply for this GPU.

I was going to get an RX 590, but after watching Hardware Unboxed video it was clear that the 590 performs 5% better on average at 1080p. I currently have a 1440p monitor, and my RX 580 dips way below 60fps in some new games at high to ultra settings. Do you think I will be happy with my new GPU? Thanks.

Solution
Great price on a great card. Gotta love Sapphire's Nitro+ cards. <3

You have a FreeSync monitor so don't worry about getting Nvidia. You also got that good quality power supply with plenty of power. Good job. I would have definitely gone with the Vega 64 over the RX 590. The 590's performance is somewhat disappointing to me. With your 1440p FreeSync, monitor Vega 64 was the best choice for you.

The GTX 1080 is faster right now; but with how things have gone in the past I wouldn't be surprised if the RX Vega outperforms the GTX 1080 in the future. It is said that AMD driver support has been better than Nvidia.
Great price on a great card. Gotta love Sapphire's Nitro+ cards. <3

You have a FreeSync monitor so don't worry about getting Nvidia. You also got that good quality power supply with plenty of power. Good job. I would have definitely gone with the Vega 64 over the RX 590. The 590's performance is somewhat disappointing to me. With your 1440p FreeSync, monitor Vega 64 was the best choice for you.

The GTX 1080 is faster right now; but with how things have gone in the past I wouldn't be surprised if the RX Vega outperforms the GTX 1080 in the future. It is said that AMD driver support has been better than Nvidia.

Solution
I think you'll be happy with it. Power usage is higher, yes, but it isn't as horrendous as some try to make it out to be. The Vega64 can keep up with a 1080, or at least give it a run for its money... You shouldn't see numbers dip below 60fps anywhere near as often with it.

Enjoy.

killerabdb

Proper
Apr 3, 2018

It's a Corsair RM850i. I already mentioned the PSU lol, anyway thanks for replying. The CPU is an i7 8700, non K.

killerabdb

Proper
Apr 3, 2018

Yeah, also most people don't care much about power when they have a powerful PSU. I had a Corsair TX550M with my RX 580, which obviously isn't enough.

killerabdb

Proper
Apr 3, 2018

Thanks and yeah, it could outperform a 1080 in the near future.