AMD/VIA = LOWER STANDARD!!!

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
from <A HREF="http://www.overclockers.com/" target="_new">http://www.overclockers.com/</A>

scroll down and read "A lower standard" also take a look at "When 10% Are Bad, 90% Don't See It"

Finally someone had to say it!!!

<A HREF="http://www.overclockers.com/tips453/" target="_new">"You want rock-solid, and AMD/Via is giving you pebbles instead. Pebbles may be good enough for you, but not for everybody."</A>- overclockers.com

"AMD/VIA...you are the weakest link, good bye!"

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i really fail to see where AMD comes into this Via issue stuff. AMD has done nothing wrong, so please quit badmouthing AMD when they do nothing but release fast, cheap, and reliable products.

<A HREF="http://static.stileproject.com/pika.swf" target="_new">Hyakugojyuuichi!!</A>

G

from http://www.overclockers.com/

scroll down and read "A lower standard" also take a look at "When 10% Are Bad, 90% Don't See It"

Finally someone had to say it!!!

"You want rock-solid, and AMD/Via is giving you pebbles instead. Pebbles may be good enough for you, but not for everybody."- overclockers.com

"AMD/VIA...you are the weakest link, good bye!"

G

Great Article(s), finally someone has the courage to stand up and say enough is enough! I admire people such as him who are willing to stand up for what they know to be true and not worry about all the negative comments & personal attacks people will make against him because they are AMD/VIA fantatics. Many AMD/VIA fantatics are not willing to accept the fact that VIA mobo's are sub-par! Even when shown countless examples of incompatibilities and stability problems with VIA chipsets.

(A)bort, (R)etry, (G)et a beer?

AEboy128

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
You probably knows this but no one cares what you think. Im an AMD fan but i wouldn't say anything bad about intel or amd until one of them takes a huge lead.

BAN Tbirdinside, and AMDmeltdown

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Too bad for you, we already realized VIA sucks. You must be blinder than I thought

---------
I am the first and only one with a 16MB GeForce2 GTS graphics card! :smile:

G

>>>>>Great Article(s), finally someone has the courage to stand up and say enough is enough! I admire people such as him who are willing to stand up for what they know to be true and not worry about all the negative comments & personal attacks people will make against him because they are AMD/VIA fantatics<<<<<

Whoah, Everett, AMDMeltdown is an INTEL fanatic. He is as bad or worse than all the AMD fanatics, and by the way, I don't know anybody who is a VIA fanatic. Everydbody knows Via sux really badly, there is no question about that, but as far as AMD being bad, give me a break. It's like saying that the Nvidia geforce 3 card sucks, when you buy a really cheapo generic card that gives you alotta trouble. All of AMDs chipsets are rock solid, Intel's, in general share that trait, but the can't always be said of third party chipsets. You've gotta remember that Via had the MVP3 (socket seven) which has the same problems as all its other chipsets, but know what? It has problem whether you run it with a k6-2/3 or a Intel Pentium MMX.
OK, so VIA sucks, GET AN AMD 760! Don't bash AMD, they have no control over VIA's crappy chipsets. Via could turn around and make a 3rd party chipset for the P4, and it would have the same probs the AMD does.

Aklein

Life is hard...Live with it.

G

Yes we all have our opinions. If you choose not to accept the <b>fact</b> that VIA chipsets have serious compatability problems then that is your choice.

AeroSnoop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Everett, I agree via chipsets have had their share of problems but what does this have to do with Amd? Lack of heat protection? Yes that is an issue. But there is nothing inherently WRONG with Athlons. I too wish Amd would get more into the chipset business and stop relying on Via.

G

Ok, I may not agree with some of AMDMeltdowns posts. But weather he is a Intel fanatic or not is not the issue. And to make this clear.. I have tried not to bash AMD, I think the Athlon/Duron are excellent chips. But it is unfortunate that AMD is associated with VIA since 99% of AMD motherboards use VIA’s horrible chipsets.

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Yes AMD is involved in this. Every company has some flaw, nobody is perfect. This is AMD's biggest flaw in my opinion. They do not mass produce their own chipsets and leave it up to a third party. If Intel and AMD still used the same form factor and you had a choice between a 815 chipset to slap your Tbird in or a 133A, which would you choose? Most would go for the 815 because not only would you get better performance, but you would get about 1/4 of the bugs if any at all.

If you take a truth and follow it blindly, it will become a Falsehood and you a Fanatic.

kurokaze

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
On the same note.. you'll also note that no one here disagrees with you.. everyone (including me) knows that VIA chipsets are full of bells and whistles but don't exactly have the best reputation for stability and compatibility.

Why then do we buy VIA chipset mobos?? Well.. frankly, if you want an Athlon/Duron CPU, what choice do you have? at that point it becomes a necessary evil... luckily most of us (myself included) have not had many (if any at all) issues with the VIA chipsets (other than the fact that their AC97 implementation stinks!).

Intel Components, AMD Components... all made in Taiwan!

AeroSnoop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well basically just repeating what I said, of course if I had the choice I would choose the 815 to run my tbird. I think that is the general concesus that via's chipsets suck compared to Intels. Which is why I wish Amd would get more into the chipset business themselves and get rid of our need for Via.

AeroSnoop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Just to add a quick note. I cannot speak for everyone in general here, but I myself have had very good luck with the via boards I do own. My workstation @ work that I'm using right now is solid running Windows 2000 and I am quite pleased with it. Same thing at home for my other 3 via/amd boxes as well. Please note I am not disagreeing that via's chipsets suck, I'm just saying that they do seem to be working very well for me.

Andyddr

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Well today I sent an E-Mail to AMD to tell them what I as a consumer think of their relationship with VIA and ALI (I thing they both stink). I also gave them the link to the overclockers article which sums up the way we all feel about this issue.

It`s time they stop saying "Well here u go...this is a Athlon/Duron cpu,ALI/VIA u take over from here". The CPU is only part of a whole system that need to work in symbiosis with the other parts and they need to get the mix right.

I`m sure they`ll (AMD) ignore my mail (as big corps do) and do nothing about it...but as long as they know what I think.
I`ll keep u posted if they reply.

Your new hardware is out of date

G

I’m glad that you had the initiative to act. It just feels good to stand up for what you believe in. Even if it’s firing off and email just to let them know how you feel (as long as it’s not vulgar or rude). As a customer of there products you deserve the right to express your discontentment. I’m hopeful that more people will feel the same way. It would take a lot of support from members of the hobbiest/overclocking community but I think if by some miracle we all worked together on this we <b>COULD</b> change things for the better. If AMD had a stable & reliable motherboard platform AMD could make in-roads into the business sector and I know Intel’s bottom line would be in serious jeopardy then.

G

It`s time they stop saying "Well here u go...this is a Athlon/Duron cpu,ALI/VIA u take over from here". The CPU is only part of a whole system that need to work in symbiosis with the other parts and they need to get the mix right."

I COULDN"T AGREE WITH YOU MORE. AMD needs to get their chipset out in abundance because if you look 90% of mobos have VIA. I am looking into a duron and I have seen only 1 with an AMD chipset, and it was just horrible.

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Anybody have any thoughts on nVidia's upcoming chipset for the Athlon/Duron? I've read that AMD has been working with nVidia to try to ensure that it performs well. I imagine that AMD would like to see nVidia come up with a killer alternative to the VIA/ALi offerings because I'm sure they don't like having their processors criticized as a byproduct of VIA's poor chipsets. While I plant my flag in the AMD camp for various reasons, I have been less than impressed with VIA chipsets. That's why I bought an AMD 760 based motherboard. I hope that either nVidia's chipset turns out to be awesome or AMD figures out that they need to make their own. As long as the VIA albatross is around AMD's neck it's going to have a hard time gaining as much respect as it deserves.