News AMD Vows to Resolve GPU Shortage: We Are Ramping Production

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Ramping up production will have no affect on GPU retail availability. If AMD makes more, miners will buy more. The only way to increase retail availability is to reduce demand from miners which is what Nvidia is trying to do with the mining limiter.

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
AMD needs to make more mining cards available that are more beefy 2x or 3x a video card.

Miners aren't buying up all video cards, just the ones which have exceptional hashing rate - they're laughing at the cards with poor hashing rate. Give them mining cards that make them laugh at any video card. But this business of sabotaging their own products - that's quite insulting.

Making GPUs irrelevant for mining is what will have an affect on GPU retail availability.

InvalidError

Titan
Ramping up production will have no affect on GPU retail availability. If AMD makes more, miners will buy more.
Sooner or later, they will run out of power, cooling and space. It is also more difficult to hog the whole production when there is more of it. Bitmain's ETH miner is ~3X more power-efficient than GPUs and they are dumping their hardware on miners ahead of eth2.0 possibly launching earlier, so GPUs may not be particularly desirable for Ethereum for much longer.

I wouldn't put much stock in Nvidia's hash rate limiter, it'll likely get broken or otherwise circumvented within weeks of serious miners getting their first batch. Even if it isn't, miners can simply mine anything else on it instead. With ASIC miners taking over ETH and eth2.0 possibly not far off in the future, they will end up doing exactly that either way.

Jarmer

Prominent
Feb 5, 2021
Even if somehow miraculously they DO make more cards avail to market, I think it's too little too late for this gen. I've been trying for 5 months to get a 6800 xt and there's just zero percent chance I'm going to pay the astronomical retail rates for that card now that the 7xxx series is a mere 6 months away. (of course, not that we'll be able to buy that either).

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Sooner or later, they will run out of power, cooling and space. It is also more difficult to hog the whole production when there is more of it. Bitmain's ETH miner is ~3X more power-efficient than GPUs and they are dumping their hardware on miners ahead of eth2.0 possibly launching earlier, so GPUs may not be particularly desirable for Ethereum for much longer.

I wouldn't put much stock in Nvidia's hash rate limiter, it'll likely get broken or otherwise circumvented within weeks of serious miners getting their first batch. Even if it isn't, miners can simply mine anything else on it instead. With ASIC miners taking over ETH and eth2.0 possibly not far off in the future, they will end up doing exactly that either way.

Yes, there is a theoretical limit for power and space, but whatever increase in production AMD is going to come up with, it isn't going to get us anywhere remotely close to those limits. So why even bother bringing that up? Based on recent market share numbers, AMD could double their GPU production, and that would put them at half of what NVidia produces. China isn't going to run out of space and power if AMD increases GPU production by 10% or 15%.

I have no idea how effective Nvidia's limiter is going to be. That wasn't the point. Only that an effective limiter is what it is going to take to increase GPU availability for the current generation. Increases in GPU production that are realistic based on current market conditions are going to do nothing.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
A couple of provinces in China and a few other places around the world including a handful of US cities have actually banned crypto-mining because they cannot spare the power. It is becoming a real issue that governments are having to take action on.
You're convinced that Nvidia's mining limiter will pose no problem at all to these companies, but the insurmountable hurdle these multi million dollar companies will face is finding a building a few miles up the street in a neighboring town. I wish I had your optimism on how easy this mining craze is going to come to an end.

InvalidError

Titan
the insurmountable hurdle these multi million dollar companies will face is finding a building a few miles up the street in a neighboring town.
If an area is banning crypto due to power grid issues, the crypto-mining company will need to move more than a few miles away to avoid causing the same issues that got it banned from its previous location and likely end up forced to move again.

Add the taxation, criminal facilitation and other legal issues, it is only a matter of time before we see more state-wide and country-wide bans.

clsmithj

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
RX 6700 XT is not the answer to NVIDIA's High-end graphics cards (RTX 2080, 2080 Super, 2080 Ti, now RTX 3070, 3080, 3090), that chip is a little die like the RX 5700 XT with 40 CUs and has ray-tracing hardware that the 5700 XT lacked.

We only want BIG NAVI! RX 6800, RX 6800 XT, RX 6900 XT, RX 6900 XTX , these GPUs give to NVIDIA's high-end products.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
"AMD Vows to Resolve GPU Shortage:"

They said no such thing. Saying "We expect Radeon 6000 series GPU sales to grow significantly over the coming quarters as we ramp production" does not mean they have vowed to end the shortage. They have only said they would increase production, which could very well still, and probably will, fall short of the current insane demand.

Jun 15, 2021
It's Ridicculous that Amd don't do nothing against those thief, Mining and Reseller at 300% of price, the need to be a serious seller to protect ordinary buyers and not those illegal waste.
Mining should stop, and even Reseller, they create the problem.