AMD vs. Intel Marketshare

Status
Not open for further replies.
From http://mobile.eweek.com/c/a/Midmarket/Intel-AMD-Hold-Lead-on-Microprocessor-Market-Share-Report-654921/:

In a year of major changes for the global microprocessor industry, one thing remained the same: leading suppliers Intel and Advanced Micro Devices in 2010 maintained their customary ranks in the market, research from IT analytics firm IHS iSuppli indicated. Intel finished the year with 81.0 percent share of global microprocessor revenue, up a scant 0.4 percentage points from 80.6 percent in 2009, allowing it to maintain leadership. Meanwhile, AMD ended the year with 11.4 percent share, down 0.8 points from 12.2 percent in 2009, keeping it in second place.

So AMD lost about 7% global marketshare in 2010, compared to 2009.

Fourth-quarter market data revealed no significant changes in worldwide microprocessor market shares as well. Intel accounted for 81.5 percent of global microprocessor revenue during the period, gaining 0.5 percent of share compared to a year ago in the fourth quarter of 2009. On a sequential basis, Intel gained 0.7 percent of share from the 80.8 percent it held in the third quarter of 2010.

For both sequential and year-over comparisons, AMD lost market share, with the greatest loss occurring relative to the fourth quarter of 2009. In the fourth quarter of 2010, AMD accounted for 10.9 percent of the worldwide microprocessor market by revenue, down from 11.4 percent in the third quarter of 2010, and down from 12.2 percent in the fourth quarter of 2009.

That's a 12% drop in YOY marketshare for AMD.

I imagine that fusion and Intel's SB chipset problems will show an improvement for AMD this quarter however.

AMD really needed to bring Bulldozer and Llano in on schedule this quarter, not 1-2 quarters later as is now the case..

Solution
^Wow.

Last time I checked, Intel just posted another record quarter. And I am sure they will do so again.

Intel does a lot more than just CPUs. Hell the majority of SSDs that will use 25nm NAND come from the Intel/Micron joint venture.

If you have a PC, no matter what you do you have a Intel product in it.

In fact, you want 10GB NIC card? Intel just finished getting that ready for mobos. USB? Intel sets that up too. PCIe? Well guess what. Intel helped crete that standard too.
D

Deleted member 362816

Amd need some sort of market share lol. Is there a poll like this for the video card market? because if that is included in what you are saying that cant be right.

LOL - sorry about that. Just cut & paste the URL in a new tab and it should work.

I've seen that CPU Benchmark graph several times already - it only represents the percentage of those with Intel systems vs. AMD systems who actually bother to post their benchmarks on the web site. Not sales or anything. So it is about as reliable as a web poll :p..

Yeah I agree that the fusion should make inroads on the ultra-mobile space starting this quarter, but my main point was that AMD originally was coming out with all 3 (Zacate, Llano and Bulldozer) by the end of 2010, or at least that is what I was hearing about a year ago. So now BD and Llano are delayed by at least half a year, giving Intel that much more time selling Sandy Bridge.

IIRC there is an IDC report on GPU marketshare that comes out about once a quarter. Haven't seen the most recent one however. But surprisingly enough, the last one I did see shows that Intel sells about half the total # of GPUs, because the report doesn't discriminate between IGPs (which Intel sells) and discrete GPUs like what you find in your graphics cards. Sandy Bridge's onboard 12-EU GPU is probably the most powerful one Intel sells, and it is sufficient for HD video and lightweight gaming (no AA or other eyecandy) or about the same as a $50 discrete card :p..

Intel let Amd survive by not challenging at the low end of the market

Well since Conroe came out in what - Q3 of 2006? - Intel really hasn't had to worry about AMD, so they set their pricing based on what people are willing to pay rather than competition. BD could be a game-changer, but I sort of doubt it - seems optimized for server rather than desktop, with all those cores. But we'll see around June 20th I guess.

At any rate, having no new product for 6 months after Sandy Bridge is worse than having a new product that merely catches up to Intel. IMO, AMD needs to be proactive and take the fight to Intel a bit better, instead of Intel just waiting to see what AMD does and then release stuff they already have in development, like Ivy Bridge. What the heck did
AMD spend that $1.25BN settlement money from Intel on?? Oh that's right - paying off part of the ATI purchase debt...

^ Well to be fair, AMD did make a profit last quarter (although IIRC it included a one-time GF writeoff item, so the actual profit from selling product was much lower). Primary due to higher ASPs according to their quarterly report. However Intel had its most profitable quarter ever last quarter, so Intel took better advantage of that big increase in worldwide sales than AMD did.

Intel has a higher margin than AMD. Makes the Intel Higher cost vs performance, but on the other hand it also makes the owners of intel stock happier. If Intel dropped their margin, it would be bad news for amd and for Intel stock holders as the stock would see a nose dive. This is also the reason Intels SSds are more expensive than competion. The intel SSDs are more reliable, but also loose out on performance (Intel use to have the crown on SSD performance, but no longer).

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

Back in the Days with Jerry Sanders and Hector Ruiz they were hitting 25% aiming towards 30% I as I recall, best Architectures I remeber where the AMD K6-3/Athlon Thunder Bird Slot Era & Athlon XP Palmino/AMD Duron/Athlon 64 FX! AMD was on fire with those proccessor line-up! I'm waiting to see withthe Orochi Bulldozer proccessor whats going on with AMD! They had some good opening to take over the Retail Gamer Market, but Intel has always had more Fabrications and The Corporate Market which is hard for AMD to Win over Intel's Loyal Companies! Fusion Techology sounds interesting and very complex, like ATI Fudo 520 Fusion, Amd Bought Good IP in ATI 4890/5830 was on top of the game for ATI Good Back 2 Back releases!

Well either Jerry Sanders or Colonel Sanders :D...

But not Hector - he drove the company into the ground IMO, plus he had to skip town due to his insider trading status :p.

IIRC the highest marketshare AMD ever got to was around 30%, about 6-7 years ago. And I remember AMD stating somewhere (maybe in their antitrust suit against Intel) that they needed 30% minimum to survive.

Probably the worse loss however is in the server segment, where they currently are around 6% marketshare. Just a year ago they were about double that IIRC. And server CPUs is where the highest profits are, by far.. So Bulldozer may turn that around for them, although I dunno when the server version is coming out. Haven't seen JF-AMD post here in a few weeks now - he could probably answer that.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
Looks to be a worthy successor to the X58 (on paper that is).

X68 will be nice but X79 just looks epic.

I really like Intel's addition of an Intel NIC MAC. I have been using Intel NIC card (PCIe x1) instead of the onboard crap from Realtek and Marvell. Looks like I won't need an addon card anymore.

him not posting here for a while is that a good or bad sign?

He is on vacation right now.

Can you give some spec please. I would like to be informed.

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

With the Acquisition of ATI they Have the possibility of putting pressure on Intel with GPU's to win more Market Share
only 6% GPU's is a way to go in the future they have added on to their R&D with Ati Tek! Intel has stated that they can pack the Xeons like Cartridges on if needed!

So brings about the Next Q can AMD hit Intel in the Higher Sever Area Cloud Computing and win more market share and get chips out! They have some Cool Newer Names that People can Relate to Orochi and Video games, Japanesse Myth, and Bulldowzer Core to construction workers, and other people! Waiting to see with Gpu add-on(Fusion) if they can do some damage!

Server Bulldozer won't have the fusion tech for some time, if that is what you meant. Neither will the first iteration of desktop Bulldozer - maybe you're thinking of Llano instead?

The jury is still out on the ATI acquisition - AMD spent a whopping $5.4BN on it, then got hammered by Conroe and started bleeding profits & cash (IIRC something like $7BN total in 4+ years), and only recently has returned to the black side of the ledger. IIRC through Q3 of last year ATI was still a net loss in graphics profits since the buyout. So AMD has had to sell off major chunks of itself to survive these past 4 years, the biggest being the fab sale to GloFlo.

So far all I see with fusion is mostly an on-die GPU sharing L3 cache with the CPU and speeding up a limited number of non-graphics apps that can make use of the GPU, like folding@home, some transcoders, etc. Maybe that'll change in the future, but a GPU is pretty specialized in what it does (large array of simple, speed-optimized vector processors) and my bet is that there are more applications that won't be able to take much advantage of that architecture than there are those that can. So GPGPU so far seems like somebody having just a hammer and thinking everything looks like a nail. Great for building a shed but not so good for writing that doctoral thesis :p.. But I agree it will be interesting to see how fusion evolves over the next few years - hopefully it'll turn out as good as AMD says it will..

Status
Not open for further replies.