AMD vs. Intel Strange Conspiracy theory?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smartkid95

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
This is a strange one that I have been wondering and looking into, and observing for a long time. I was told by a source that is obviously not dependible but humor me, that intel cpu's are no match to amd due to the theory (it's rediculous but humor it) intentional replacement,and the cpu is designed to get slower after time which is why they never release cpus on the same mobo platform like amd and theychange constantly to get more money. I know this a lame conspiracy but I wan to get some honest opinions about that. Is there any truth to that at all or is is trash. the biggest question is I want to know the history of amd vs. intel because it also was claimed that overtime amd cpu's will work better than intel and amd has always been better. Intel fanboys rejoice because i'm ready for anyting I have strong feeling so don't be afraid to attack me. amd fanboys are wecome to have their say as well. have at it.

As a side note, I'm not really swayed either way as a fanboy to either company, my decision is decided by the almighty dollar. so far amd has consistantly been the better value enjoy. feel free to flame coment the post on my blog about this too.
http://rokk-itscientistblog.blogspot.com/

Solution
Complete garbage. CPUs don't get slower over time. Operating systems however can get slower over time, but this is easily remedied with a reinstallation of the OS.

verndewd

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009

oh some of it was related :bounce: interesting how it went from micro circuits to lights and interesting stuff about lights id say, though no links were presented to round up the discussion.

As for peak complexity light bulbs the only thing you left out was anti zit creme or midol . :D I could have said tuna fish but I was trying to make MY randomness seem to have meaning as well :D

mazter00

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
This is complete bollocks,

OS degrade overtime becoz of various issues,
and Besides why does Intel have to make an Auto -Degrading CPU,
they could easily spend that R&D money for better marketing, as evidenced by ppl buying the Crappy Pentium D over Faster, cheaper and efficient Athlon 64 X2's

cheesesubs

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009

they are still making smithfield and prescott in third world market like india and middle east. not to mention pirated version populated vastly in south east asia and china. which i forgot what they called but they are simply reverse engineer of pentium 4, highly identical but they putting their own brand on them..... core in the other hand they still cant do it due to architecture disadvantage(they couldn't copy it since it had only release for 2 years unlike pentium 4 that had been out for....9 years....) but mostly 64bit issue.

which is why intel didn't gave out the menufacture of netburst til' july 2008. not to compete to amd but these third world copycat.(even thought they are making it today and pentium 4/32bit market still stay strong.) and various issue....in middle east/africa/china windows 95/98/me are general...even microsoft did not support it anymore.

and these poor country are also making athlon.....xp(bouton) again they just can't copy athlon 64 because of 64bit...(althought other feature....hypertransport?)

smartkid95

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009

Here's a green thought about intel and their longevity; very new processor that intel comes out with is a different slot so the entire computer becomes obsolete and trashed. amd has been using the same socket for the last few yeas now so all you need to do is plug in a new CPU and you're ready to go. So if it's intel's fault or not the business is purposely finding new ways to make the old stuff seem obsolete. If Intel cared about the consumer, the world, or or anything but money and business why would they do that? Intel is really a money pumping corporation. If you think about it that also is another huge money saver if they simply did that, they could cut R&D costs and motherboard maanufactures would save money to. what do you think aout that?

sanchz

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009

Yes, Intel should have made thing easier for upgrades, especially sockets LGA 1156 & 1366 where there isn't socket compatibility. And where Gulftown will only be compatible with 1366.
But they had to trash LGA 775 since they needed major changes in the platform, especially the memory controller and the FSB.

My friend thinks people should have to have a certain IQ to be able to have kids. I kinda agree since it seems a lot of idiots get the major control these days......

Actually in the time that LGA775 came out AMD went from S939 to AM2 to AM2+ to AM3 at the end of LGA775. And not every CPU would be supported by the newer or older socket.

And plugging in a new CPU does not always work. A Phenom II needs at least a AM2+ mobo. If you have a AM2, new mobo. Sometimes you need a BIOS update if the mobo company feels so kind to update it for ya.

No company "cares" about the consumer. We are all walking, talking wallets ripe for the plucking.

Intel has the greenest FABs in the world, doesn't that show care? Also Intels CPUs now have no lead (Since their 45nm I believe.....) in them at all. AMD still has lead in their CPUs. Hmmm.....

I think you are right though. Intel is a money pumping corporation as would AMD be if they had the chance just like IBM, Citi, Apple, MS, Ford, GMC and I could go on and on if you like.....

kokin

Distinguished
May 28, 2009

But then there would be no innovation and we'd all be using the same applications or playing the same games for the rest of our lives!

michael775

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I think AMD is sitting on something BIG at the moment and I think they will reless A wicked CPU when the time is right look the AMD's ATi sector they whooped Nvidia with the Radeon 4800 series in my opinion but not necessarily anyone else’s there are rill big graphic card fans out there,

Heh, well the "time was right" about 3 years ago for AMD to release their wicked CPU, and derail Intel's Core2 train. Instead, they released a trainwreck of a CPU (Barcelona) 2 years ago, and only got back on track with the P2.

However I expect a lot of hope, or hype, or both, building up with the Bulldozer release in a couple of years.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

What? :heink:

keithlm

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007

Many AM2 motherboard support AM3 Phenoms. Not ALL of them, but enough that your statement is blatantly incorrect.

The true relevant question in this case would be: How many times did Intel change the Socket LGA775 specification after it was initially released? Three? Five? More?

AMD renamed the socket so that it's users would have a clue. Intel didn't seem to care about whether it's users were clueless.

Actually all LGA775 mobos from the P945 chipset and up support every last 65nm and 45nm C2D/C2Q its just up to the mobo vendor to add that support in the BIOS.

Its just like how some AM2/AM2+ mobos only support up to a certain TDP because the mobo vendor used lower end caps to produce a cheaper mobo or it may support the 125w TDP CPUs but the BIOS was never updated to properly recogniz it much like what happens with most cheap end mobos with a Intel chipset. My mobo is a P35 that was geared towards Conroe but still supports Wofldale based C2D/C2Qs because Asus updated the BIOs with each new CPU.

Might I also add that AMD themselves states that its recommended to use a AM2+ mobo or higher:

http://products.amd.com/en-us/RecommendedMBResult.aspx?f1=AMD+Phenom%e2%84%a2+II+X4&f2=965&f3=C2&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=140+W

945 (no AM2 recommended)

http://products.amd.com/en-us/RecommendedMBResult.aspx?f1=AMD+Phenom%e2%84%a2+II+X4&f2=945&f3=C2&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=95+W

While the old Phenom does have AM2 mobos recommended:

http://products.amd.com/en-us/RecommendedMBResult.aspx?f1=AMD+Phenom%e2%84%a2+X4&f2=9750&f3=B3&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=95+W

I admit I am probably wrong but more than likely a AM2 would be unbeneficial as it would down clock the HTT and NB link as well as not support the newest periphreal techs.

verndewd

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
I cant believe this thread is still going

Time for an art break :D

Some new wallpapers I just made featuring our lovable AMD dragon

Dragon_Sitting_Final.jpg

AMDwallpaperlg.jpg

Go here for full size

http://verndewd.deviantart.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.