AMD vs INTEL

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesse Wood

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
Why is Intel SO much better than AMD supposedly? If it was so much better than why can I buy a 200 dollar 4.0ghz processor from AMD and a 400 dollars 3.6ghz processor from intel? They mostly have the same specs anyways. So why are they considered so much? I making a gaming PC and I'm trying to get as much bang for my buck.

Thanks

Solution
AMD is generally more for the budget crowd. AMD as a platform, is much cheaper, generally than an equally featured Intel one. This allows for better a better graphics card than an Intel rig would be capable of on a budget.

Flightsimluke

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010

I'm about 25 miles from Lakenheath, and my cousins live about 5 miles away! I'm sorry about my attitude earlier, it was completely disrespectful.

Those people you couldn't understand might have been Scottish...

Best Regards
Luke

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
This is rather interesting:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/crossfire-sli-scaling-bottleneck,3471-11.html

If you look at the top figure showing an 8350 and 3770k both paired with a single 7970, the Intel chip performs about 10% better on average across the entire benchmark suite suggesting the chard is bottle-necked slightly by the AMD chip. Of course Skyrim is still in there. Problem is, I play Skyrim, Starcraft, and Planetside 2 and so do a lot of other people.

8350rocks

Distinguished

I saw that review, it is interesting that the intel's perform a tiny bit better with AMD CPUs...and Nvidia, Ironically perform better on AMDs...I would never have expected it to be that way.

Planetside 2 is much improved on AMD hardware since the last patch was my understanding, though I haven't played it.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Even giving Intel an extra overclock margin of 0.6 GHz, the result is {*}:

My conclusion is that they are very similar in performance at these speeds, i5 wins Some, FX8350 wins some, out of 6 game benchmarks 3 single GPU benches and 3 crossfire benches , the fx8350 won 3 and the i5 won 3, the I5 wins at 3d mark 11 but the 8350 was even at Heaven.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1333027/amd-fx-8350-vs-i5-3570k-delidded-single-gpu-and-crossfire-gpu

{*} Using software only optimized for Intel. Using software optimized for both, the FX is much much faster.

No, I've read that Tom's Hardware uses the latest AMD Hot Fixes for its benchmarking too.

GeekVerve

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013

I really think that AMD has missed the boat on this one. There has got to be a lot they could do to optimize the performance of AMD GPU's when paired with an AMD processor to promote a unified platform. Perhaps they have, in fact, tried just that and found that nVidia GPU's would suffer too much from it, driving nVidia owners to Intel. /shrug

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

No. I did mean the bdver1, bdver2... optimizations provided by both GCC and AMD Open64 which are absent in intel compiler. Those optimizations apply to other AMD chips such as trinity.

The Bulldozer/piledriver hot fixes that you mention are only a pair of bad patches to the terrible W7 scheduler. The fixes are bad because only provide about a ridiculous 1% performance whereas increase power consumption (about a 7%) because disable certain saving power protocols on AMD chips.

john1587

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013

Yeah and with a CPU that probably will not handle a 7990 very well anyway

8350rocks

Distinguished

I think they may have been...there was a soccer/football game on TV in the pub, and all I could gather was they were cheering for Celtic FC...when they scored all these guys went crazy and bought another round of pints...lol.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

It seems to me you are confounding AMD, the company that did gain market in Q4 of past year, and will be selling lots of chips this year on PCs, on consoles, on tablets... with Intel, that dying company, whose profits have dropped a 25% this quarter

http://www.crn.in/news/hardware/2013/03/05/amd-gains-20-percent-market-share-in-q42012---idc

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/29763/intel-continue-to-feel-pain-quarterly-profits-drop-25-for-q1-2013/index.html

john1587

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013

I dont see none of the companies are going to die soon, intel is the more popular between enthusiast pc markets and office pcs, AMD is now on next gen consoles so both have their markets

As usual when someone makes a thread of AMD vs Intel it starts the same old arguments that always go nowhere or solve anything.

I find it interesting that the OP that started this thread never made another post.

To avoid further disputes and possibly prevent people from receiving disciplinary action I am closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.