AMD vs INTEL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesse Wood

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
Why is Intel SO much better than AMD supposedly? If it was so much better than why can I buy a 200 dollar 4.0ghz processor from AMD and a 400 dollars 3.6ghz processor from intel? They mostly have the same specs anyways. So why are they considered so much? I making a gaming PC and I'm trying to get as much bang for my buck.

Thanks

Solution
AMD is generally more for the budget crowd. AMD as a platform, is much cheaper, generally than an equally featured Intel one. This allows for better a better graphics card than an Intel rig would be capable of on a budget.

theco0n

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Intel has better tech like Hyper-threading and Turbo Boost Technology provides better overclocking. If gaming is the most demanding you'll be doing then AMD will be fine. If you'll be doing other stuff like video rendering Intel is better.

As of now, Intel's I5-3570K is the best value by far for gaming. It crushes any of AMD's stuff for the most part. It cost a similar amount of the FX-8350. And draws a lot less power. For heavily threaded apps like photoshop etc. The AMD FX-8350 is better with it's 8 cores.

We'll see how things shake out with the upcoming Haswell and Steamrollers.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Intel vs AMD

Intel Fanboy: "AMD users are poor and their chips don't have "real cores" in them. I don't know what those are, but they aren't cores. Real men can afford to upgrade their CPU and mobo every year to get a 5% performance increase."

AMD Fanboy: "My chip games and heats my house at the same time. Clearly the budget friendly choice. Just wait til Windows 25 when the software catches up and my FX will bulldoze your i7. "

Over.

8350rocks

Distinguished

These guys are filling your head with

magic dust that they put in their processors

Intel is NOT better than AMD, they are more or less equal.

Read this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1643324/intel-amd.html

This:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/356983-28-8350-good-gaming

This:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1627101/amd-cpus-optimized-gaming-future.html

That will set you straight on the truth.

Ignore the Intel fanboys spouting "magic dust" theories and other rubbish about the i5-3570k is the greatest thing in the history of CPUs...it's all BS.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

Every time someone tries to say they are equal in threaded apps, I always pull this out.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-a-pc-overclocking-gaming,3440-6.html

Clock for clock, the 3570k beats an 8350 in 95% of the benchmarks.

Out of the box the 8350 might have a slight advantage, but that is because AMD clocks their chips higher at stock. Even up the clock speeds and Intel wins every time. They are never compared that way for some reason other than in this article.

Ignore the gaming benchmarks, focus on the CPU related ones where both systems are overclocked to 4.4.

Hi :)

For GAMING you should look at the GPU FIRST....

I have an old AMD Phenom 1100t with a 7990 gpu.....

You could spend £1000 on the latest Intel CPU and NOT GET 1 FRAME MORE than my old phenom....

THAT'S A FACT....

So Intel is NOT better for Gaming than AMD...

All the best Brett :)

8350rocks

Distinguished

+1

@JD88 if you OC intel you have to OC AMD otherwise the comparison is null and void as it isn't a fair comparison. Either compare them stock, or OC'ed.

Also, all those single threaded benchmarks mean less than a handful of "magic beans" when you're gaming.

john1587

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013

I can't believe you have said that!, it all depends on what game you are playing, I had a phenom 965 overclocked to 3.9 ghz and on intensive cpu games like far cry 3 in heavy scenes i was getting like 32-35 fps with my 660 ti as it was just using like 40% of the GPU for that scene, now with the 3570K i am getting constant 60 fps with Vsync on same settings and if I turn off vsync i can easly get 70+ FPS with my card always being used 100% so zero bottleneck.
Same story with Crysis 3, Hitman absolution, tomb raider

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

They were both overclocked to 4.4. It's not like the FX-8350 has any more headroom than a 3570k anyway, and even if a particular chip did, it would turn into a 300w space heater real quick.

The gaming benchmarks are later in which the i5 wins in several games despite the FX being paired with the better graphics card (670 vs 7870xt).

The sad thing is, I think AMD is a great company and would love to support them. In fact, I think they care about the enthusiast gamer far more than Intel or Nvidia. I think the Trinity APUs are awesome chips, especially in laptops. I also like what they are doing with their low power tablet chips.

I just can't buy their products because they don't let me play the games I want smoothly. The games I like for some reason favor Intel CPUs and Nvidia GPUs. I'm just hoping Steamroller gives me a reason to upgrade my 2500k because Haswell certainly doesn't look like it will.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Actually, the FX8350 will OC well past 5.0 GHz...I have seen many CPU-z verifications for over 5.0 and the highest 24/7 OC I have seen was 5.6 GHz, he ran cinebench and prime95 as well as a few other benchmarks. He was using h100i cooling to keep it under 50C, but who doesn't use liquid on an OC like that? 40% overclocked...?

Flightsimluke

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010

Please don't quote me. I'm an AMD person but intel is so much better, if I had enough funds I would be running an ivy bridge system. Please 8350Rocks, be gone with your fanboyism.

audiophizile13

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
If you have a microcenter by you a 3570k is cheaper than a 8350($40-50 cheaper if buying a MB as well), uses a lot less power, and generates less heat. Also, the intel will give MOST games a few more fps if you look at any benchmark ever. Imo this is a no brainer. If you dont have a microcenter by you the price is still only ~$20 difference.

P.s. even in crysis 3 the two are the same in average fps but intel is higher in minimum fps which = smoother play

8350rocks

Distinguished

I quoted you because what you said was ridiculous, in every sense, and it was every bit right to quote "magic dust" I couldn't pass up the opportunity.

There is no "fanboyism" in here...only reality. Honestly, I don't care what you run, or what you can afford versus what you would prefer to run...that means nothing to me...

The simple fact that you think intel is in some way "significantly better", especially given the newest game benchmarks all being 6 of one and half dozen of the other in terms of frame rates just leads to show you haven't done your research at all...

As you said, "Be gone with your fanboyism"

Flightsimluke

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010

Yes, but I'm not a fanboy, and you have no right to say that considering the fact that everytime I see you on these forums you're filling innocent people's heads with all this rubbish about how the 8350 is some kind of wonder-CPU, and the i7 is crap. I'm an AMD guy simply because it fits the bill of what I need, but you can't just keep trying to keep up your little illusion about how AMD and Intel are similar.

And back to you calling me a Fanboy. I'm not the guy who seems to always refer to some crappy benchmark that claims the 8350 is better for one little task. I, lets remember, am not the one with the username "8350rocks"

logainofhades

Titan

You can get an 8350 and a motherboard at Microcenter for the cost of what Newegg charges for the 3570k itself. If going to microcenter, an 8320 and MSI-970A-g46 is an even better priced combo yet. 8320 is the same as the 8350, just lower clock speed due to lower setting of the multiplier.

8350rocks

Distinguished

My, "illusion" was it?

I would like to refer to you to these threads that clearly explain who is living in "intel land" and what those of us living in reality are seeing:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1643324/intel-amd.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/356983-28-8350-good-gaming

If you read the wealth of information posted there, that I am not about to repost...you will see...I am not filling anyone's head with rubbish. Nor have I ever said the i7 is crap. I would love for you to provide a quote where I have offered inaccurate information. I invite the challenge, because I know, in good faith, you cannot. I've never said intel product was bad, just that it's not "superior" to AMD...and I have criticised their business practices and ethics on a few occasions...which is something I take into consideration when looking at a product.

Usernames have nothing to do with the price of goats in africa...

I don't cite "crappy benchmarks" either, you could find them yourself if you bothered to look...

Furthermore, I am not very fond of your disrespectful tone, and I have spent well enough time on this earth for you to refer to me without rudeness, ignorance or contempt. I tolerate none of those personality traits well at all...

Keep your tone and attitude civil, or don't bother to reply. Just because I am on one side of a computer screen, and you are somewhere tucked away in another part of this country or another, gives you no right to be disrespectful to anyone. I served my country so you could sit and type away! The very LEAST you can do is correspond to me like you have any sense of respect for others. The lack of respectful attitudes around here can be appalling sometimes. It's not like I am forcing you to call me captain or sir...just treat me with respect.

Flightsimluke

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010

Is it only a 'disrespectful' tone because you're wrong? Frankly, there are many people who can back me up here, as this isn't the first AMD related post that you've appeared on. I don't care what you think about things like where I am or why I'm trying to get people a good deal, but I can see that there is no point in trying to get people like you to see sense, as you are masked by the idea that everyone should think like you, whether your views go with or against plain evidence. Would it not be best if we just stopped this right here right now, as I simply don't have the daylight in my timezone to continue this. Lets remember that I am a passionate AMD lover, but even I have to see what is blatant, what the reason is for intel being the most used CPU maker, whether it is in Homebuilt or Prebuilt systems.

AMD are a dying company, and everyone knows that if they don't get their act together over the next few years, they may not see the next decade. At the moment, both companies excel in different places. In terms of personal views, I'd take the A10-5800k + HD7xxx combo over the i3 + HD4000 combo. But when it comes to the top end, the i7 is the obvious choice. The perfect balance of lower power consumption, great performance and decent overclocking abilities on the K versions.

Flightsimluke

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010

I'm sorry if you thought that I talked to you like a 5 year old, but no need to post oodles and oodles. You could have got your point across in less than 10 words. And, about your 'Bitch, please. I'm not uninformed!' quote, I'm not exactly Billybob the Moonshiner either.

Although it would be technically impossible for me to be a hillbilly, as I'm British.

Flightsimluke

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010

The only reason Brett ever comments on posts is so he can tell as many people as possible that he has a 7990. Notice how he underlines it. But good advice!

coolitic

Distinguished
May 10, 2012
There is a new topic about this every day. Go look up other topics, and these kinds of topic creates a flame war, and this is no place for flame wars. So for example don't, Intel vs AMD, GeForce vs Radeon, Windows vs Mac vs Linux, etc.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Ha! I never insinuated you weren't intelligent/informed or that you were a hillbilly either...

Where in GB? I've been to Lakenheath briefly, and was only in London long enough to get drunk in a pub the night before a flight out. I was up until after midnight drinking Black and Tans with some fellows I couldn't understand at all, though they most certainly found me amusing...they kept buying pints, so I kept drinking them...lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS