Question amd vs intel

USAFRet

Titan
Ik but trying to get the best option
Unstated use, unstated budget....there is no "best".

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Half gaming, half work. Max 200 bucks. Upto 250 bucks but try to get the best and cheapest option
With either option (AMD or Intel), you will need a CPU and compatible motherboard, at a minimum. In today's market, your budget will not go far. This assumes you already have the other components you would need for the rest of the rig (memory, storage, GPU, PSU, case, etc).

If you use the link provided above, you can better respond to what your actual needs are.

InvalidError

Titan
Right now, the budget king if you don't need NVMe 4.0x4 and 4.0x16 for the GPU would be the i5-10400(F) which outperforms anything AMD has to offer anywhere near $170. If you want those two things, then the budget king would be the i5-11400(F) though the necessary 500-series motherboards are still somewhat scarce and prices haven't settled yet.

If you are going to rely on the IGP for graphics, the 11500 may be worth spending a few extra dollars on for 33% more shading units than the 11400.

I'm waiting for more stores to have more Intel 500-series motherboards in stock and prices to settle in general before deciding whether I'm upgrading my i5-3470 to an 11400(F) or skipping one more generation.

Jan 30, 2021
1650 super at 170 bucks, cpu still haven't decided, same for mobo, psu 750w straight power 11
For around 150 bucks, 4000d airflow for 90 bucks, ssd and keyboard and mouse and memory for around 150 bucks, yeah just the cpu and mobo left

InvalidError

Titan
What about future upgrades? (I5-11400 or i5 11500 is around 15 more expensive than 10th gen, which is no difference
AM4 has more upgrade options if you want to start with an overpriced Ryzen 3600 that performs worse than cheaper Intel chips and upgrade that to a Ryzen 5950X later on.

the i5-11400 is going mad in my country. selling for about 300 bucks. What about ryzen?
Wait for prices on new parts to settle. The nearest equivalent part on AMD's side would be the 3600 and those are more expensive than the 11400 in NA.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Take advantage of the drop in price of the 10600KF. It's an extremely capable gaming CPU that will dominate in office applications as well. You don't really get an upgrade path since the next Intel CPU would be the 11 series which needs a new motherboard, but to be honest you don't need one. That CPU will last you 5 years at least.

InvalidError

Titan
Take advantage of the drop in price of the 10600KF. It's an extremely capable gaming CPU that will dominate in office applications as well. You don't really get an upgrade path since the next Intel CPU would be the 11 series which needs a new motherboard, but to be honest you don't need one. That CPU will last you 5 years at least.
11th-gen (Rocket Lake which launched last month) can work on on many 400-series LGA1200 boards too and you need a 11th-gen CPU to use the CPU-powered NVMe x4 slot on those, always nice to have if you want to reduce the likelihood of the chipset's DMI link becoming a snigificant bottleneck in the future.

I'd also be weary of getting a new PC without 4.0x16 for the GPU if eyeing a 4-6GB GPU in the not-so-distant future as those will likely rely on PCIe bandwidth and system memory to remain viable, likely a 3050(Ti) in my case if those ever come to desktop for a reasonable price.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
NVMe x4 is pointless unless you spend $500+ on your NVMe drive so I don't think that's really important. Just good old NVMe x1 is still very, very fast indeed and faster than most people will need right now. Certainly if you're being bottlenecked on a regular NVMe x1 drive then you're doing something pretty crazy. A nice to have for the future, but not something to worry about now.

Any board from the last 4 years is going to have PCI 4.0 x 16 so that's not really a worry, and actually even the 3090 doesn't quite make use of x8 yet so I think we good for now.

Jan 30, 2021
Most probably I'll go for 3700x since there's a less than 100$ difference between it and the 3600. If not then idk but most probably I'll go with team red not just for the extra cores and threads but if you read the amd vs intel 2021 on tomshardwareforum you'll know. Not just that, but I feel like team red is a better choice since if I'm picking intel I'm going with the i5-11500 then future upgrades are trash. Amd is better. Or intel. Still confused XD

Jan 30, 2021
And most probably I'm not gonna overclock... but good choice tho. Still confused. Can someone guide me as if I'm a beginner? To get the point? To understand the advantages and disadvantages of both and what's better in my case

InvalidError

Titan
NVMe x4 is pointless unless you spend $500+ on your NVMe drive so I don't think that's really important. Just good old NVMe x1 is still very, very fast indeed and faster than most people will need right now.
A standard NVMe SSD is 3.0x4 and you can get one for $100 or so.

Any board from the last 4 years is going to have PCI 4.0 x 16 so that's not really a worry, and actually even the 3090 doesn't quite make use of x8 yet so I think we good for now.
Look at the 4GB RX5500. Between 3.0x8 and 4.0x8 (because the RX5500 only has an x8 interface), it closes 70-80% of the gap with its 8GB counterpart. Last time I checked completed eBay listings, there was $300 price difference between 4GB and 8GB models due to how much more usable the 8GB models are for mining.

I'd be perfectly fine giving up 20% of a $170 4GB GPU's peak theoretical performance to save $300 on scalper pricing on the 8GB model.