AMD vs NVidia temp comparision

IceMyth

Honorable
Dec 15, 2015
Hi,

I am wondering if any of tech gurus tried to compare AMD vs Nvidia GPU's under:
1- High loading &
2- Bad Case air regulation (Air in/out) vs Good one &
3- Taking in consideration have the same settings except changing the GPU or Intel Build vs AMD build (MB + CPU)

Any idea if there is a video or a link for that?

Regards,
Ice

Nobody has really done that because nobody needs to.
First of all, you cant compare AMD vs Nvidia, the brand itself does not dictate heat. Pick two cards then start.

1) Once you do that, look at each cards temperature under an identical benchmark (IE Techpowerup reviews).
2) The worse airflow you have the worse the temps are, its linear for any thermal component.
3) Again, you cant compare brands. Pick a specific model. Look at the power consumption and thermals. The hotter pairing will run hotter.

iyzik

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012
Well I've my fair share of both companies cards but really its not as much about as AMD vs NVIDIA...it's more about ASUS vs Gigabyte vs MSI vs Zotac vs HIS vs EVGA vs XFX vs Sapphire vs PNY....etc. etc. And even then...it's different every year with every card.
In general I would say my NVIDIA cards have run a little cooler but again thats just a result of which companies I have bought them from.

Bringing it back around, realistically Nvidia GPUs (modern GPUs) should run cooler than their AMD counterparts simply due to the reduced power consumption with the increased efficiency (look at keplar to pascal) however, AMD has cut down on power consumption with the 480 (It undercuts a 390 by 100w)

Pc6777

Honorable
Dec 18, 2014
Amd cards ussuly run hotter, my refrence rx 480 gets to 89-90 c max on full load and I get occasional throttles because the temp. My 960 never got this hot but it dosnt really matter to me, I care more about preformance not how hot my card gets(unless it's affecting prrformance a lot or damaging my card)

IceMyth

Honorable
Dec 15, 2015

This is the thing I wanted to see AMD vs Nvidia except I wanted in a bad case in term of air flow. As I notice even with the custom fans by 3rd parties AMD runs into throttles with new and old cards. Power consumption is important for me but throttling while gaming is not preferable as you will run into problems and fall in a cycle of trying why! Also many dont have that top cases neither known about that (including me) so heating is an issue.

So was looking if there is such comparison as a reference for future purchases as power consumption you can get it without issues but throttling and Temp you need an actual test under X circumstances(which I mentioned, also can represent the worst case for GPU's) !

Nobody logically gets into a scenario where they need to know a worst case answer for higher end hardware.
Why take the time out of someones schedule to make a comparison in a poor airflow situation when airflow is extremely easy to manage.

Cards throttling? Raise fan speeds.
Still not helping? Add new/more case fans.
Still not good? New case.

You should never expect to compare cards based around something like airflow.

IceMyth

Honorable
Dec 15, 2015
Cards throttling? Raise fan speeds. --> More noise - Annoying as hell
Still not helping? Add new/more case fans. --> Not all cases can
Still not good? New case. --> Not free & and not cheap

So you get a GPU then you need to get a new Case then you need to get more fans which would cost around 120-160USD for good quality!

Also if a GPU can handle these situation can be killer GPU, as not many can do all kind of upgrades and also means the GPU manufacturer is smart and try to cover all kind of PC's!

The reality is you are asking about a problem not many people have. If you cant supply the proper airflow to a card you are not in any place to downplay alternatives just because they increase noise levels.

Not to mention, no matter what any manufacturer may do, ambient temps will always dictate the thermals of any passively cooled system (and yes, fans and a heatsink are considered passive, as there is no active means of heat exchange in a PC). If you really want to get a card that runs cool in a case with no airflow, it will be the one that runs the coolest elsewhere.

You raise the ambient temps, you raise the card temps. Plain and simple. You dont need any comparison or benchmarks to find that to be true, and no specific manufacturer (or even card) can work around ambient temps.

Pc6777

Honorable
Dec 18, 2014
my case dosnt have the best airflow and my gpus get hot, BUT my 960 never got as hot as my rx 480,.