News AMD Warns of $1.1 Billion Q3 Shortfall, Cites PC Market and Supply Chain

PiranhaTech

Reputable
Mar 20, 2021
When Covid hit, not only did we have the crypto boom, but lots of people wanted gaming PCs and wanted to start streaming. The streaming side was getting ridiculous because lots of streamers wanted $3000 PCs

It's slowed down in both crypto and people wanting gaming PCs. Some streamers regret not waiting for GPU prices to drop

Reactions: escksu

DavidLejdar

Prominent
Sep 11, 2022
I, for one, will likely spend some in Q4 of this year. Currently waiting for Intel to release their newest CPUs, to get an idea on how it compares in price and performance.

And yeah, I am aware that I could save some money if I would go for last gen motherboard and CPU, with it being plenty good in particular for gaming. But around the mid-range, the price difference is usually not that big, and PCIe 5.0 for M.2 SSD is quite tempting to go for straight away.

Reactions: shady28

lmcnabney

Prominent
Aug 5, 2022
Things will work through pretty well. The collapse of memory prices are helping their DDR5 problem. Console money has been steady. They will lose a tiny bit of market share in CPUs and are likely to gain market share with GPUs.
Intel already made the same announcement back in early August. AMD tried to play it cool, but they knew it was coming. This time next year things will be back to normal, volumes will be going back up, but margins will be lower since the miners are gone.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
Things will work through pretty well. The collapse of memory prices are helping their DDR5 problem. Console money has been steady. They will lose a tiny bit of market share in CPUs and are likely to gain market share with GPUs.
Intel already made the same announcement back in early August. AMD tried to play it cool, but they knew it was coming. This time next year things will be back to normal, volumes will be going back up, but margins will be lower since the miners are gone.

No, thats not going to happen. We are heading into recession. Both intel and AMD will be affected by recession. Its not going back to normal next year. It will be 2024/25 instead. 2023 will be even worse.

ikernelpro4

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 4, 2018
Temps aren't a problem. Running at under 95 is leaving performance on the table. They are just playing the power creep game like Intel has for years.
95C? Do NOT run CPUs > 85C for prolonged time. This is how you reduce its lifespan. If the CPU die is 95C hot then the VRM's must be cooking well over 100.
In fact, many Ryzen Chips will throttle around 90-100.
Also if the CPU runs at max temp @ stock already then where's the headroom for overclocking, I'm sick amd tired of Chip manufacturer pumping the wattage and temps to the absolute limit.

There used to be a time where we would go the other way and reduce such properties, now the valves are all open. It cannot be that components require external coolers over stock in order to not cook over 83C under load. Where was the engineering department when designing this CPU?
Temps should bd just as important as clock speeds.

Last edited:
Reactions: velocityg4

jp7189

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
95C? Do NOT run CPUs > 85C for prolonged time. This is how you reduce its lifespan. If the CPU die is 95C hot then the VRM's must be cooking well over 100.
In fact, many Ryzen Chips will throttle around 90-100.
Also if the CPU runs at max temp @ stock already then where's the headroom for overclocking, I'm sick amd tired of Chip manufacturer pumping the wattage and temps to the absolute limit.

There used to be a time where we would go the other way and reduce such properties, now the valves are all open. It cannot be that components require external coolers over stock in order to not cook over 83C under load. Where was the engineering department when designing this CPU?
Temps should bd just as important as clock speeds.
Who better than AMD to determine the safe limits for their cpu? Certainly their engineers and bean counters have a lot more data than we do to determine performance and defect/RMA rates. For those that are really bothered, just reduce limits in the bios, use a MB with a good VRM design, and use good CPU cooling.

Reactions: velocityg4
Oct 2, 2022
Temps aren't a problem. Running at under 95 is leaving performance on the table. They are just playing the power creep game like Intel has for years.
It's not the temps I care about, it's the cooling noise. It's a no from me for these. Will see what Intel has to offer in either price drop 12, or new 13's. Also the reviews at HUB/GN on the Eco modes.

Last edited:
Also if the CPU runs at max temp @ stock already then where's the headroom for overclocking,
Why have a headroom for overclocking that will stay unused by 90+ % of people????
This way no matter what cooling you have the CPU uses the highest settings possible for that amount of cooling, same for intel.
Nowadays you don't overclock you dial the overclock back.
It's not the temps I care about, it's the cooling noise. It's a no from me for these. Will see what Intel has to offer in either price drop 12, or new 13's.
You choose the cooling you want and the noise level you want and you get the highest possible clocks for that, it will be the same thing for intel at least for the 13900k since they only use velocity turbo in the highest sku.
clocks-table.png

ikernelpro4

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 4, 2018
Who better than AMD to determine the safe limits for their cpu? Certainly their engineers and bean counters have a lot more data than we do to determine performance and defect/RMA rates. For those that are really bothered, just reduce limits in the bios, use a MB with a good VRM design, and use good CPU cooling.
The manufacturer does not care about the consumers products' lifespan.

As a matter of fact, earlier upgrades/repairs -> higher profits.

You genuinely can't put faith in companies doing the right thing, you just can't.

Just from an ewaste and logical perspective, running at lower than 85C will certainly not decrease the processors lifespan.

Again, take into consideration that other components will also run at much higher temps. It wouldn't be surprising to find out that VRM clocking at 115C which would be shy just 5C of the avg max. temp.

You do you people, but there's a good reason why people don't recommend approx. > 85C.

ikernelpro4

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 4, 2018
It's not the temps I care about, it's the cooling noise. It's a no from me for these. Will see what Intel has to offer in either price drop 12, or new 13's. Also the reviews at HUB/GN on the Eco modes.
When my fan runs > 2k rpm I don't really notice it as much as any other fan in the machine which is weird.
But I can understand that maybe the higher end cpu's or pumps emit more noise, so I don't really have anything to say if you are in that category.

The manufacturer does not care about the consumers products' lifespan.

As a matter of fact, earlier upgrades/repairs -> higher profits.

You genuinely can't put faith in companies doing the right thing, you just can't.

Just from an ewaste and logical perspective, running at lower than 85C will certainly not decrease the processors lifespan.

Again, take into consideration that other components will also run at much higher temps. It wouldn't be surprising to find out that VRM clocking at 115C which would be shy just 5C of the avg max. temp.

You do you people, but there's a good reason why people don't recommend approx. > 85C.
Isn't VRM the VOLTAGE regulator? How does CPU temp directly affect VRM temps? If the CPU at 100 degrees ramps up the Vcore to some crazy amount because there are zero safeguards and and all the overclock settings are ramped up to 11 then you might have a point.

ikernelpro4

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 4, 2018
Isn't VRM the VOLTAGE regulator? How does CPU temp directly affect VRM temps? If the CPU at 100 degrees ramps up the Vcore to some crazy amount because there are zero safeguards and and all the overclock settings are ramped up to 11 then you might have a point.
I have to admit that I am not 100% sure about VRM but from what I read when looking into OCing, some boards have good ones, some cheaper ones have bad ones with few phases.

The higher the temps & therefore more wattage especially prob. when increasing volts while OC? the higher the temp of the VRM but you'd have to research that yourself to get a 100% factually correct answer.
Additionally the temp reading are not always 100% correct. 100C VRM temp reading is actually in reality much higher when measuring directly on the component

lmcnabney

Prominent
Aug 5, 2022
No, thats not going to happen. We are heading into recession. Both intel and AMD will be affected by recession. Its not going back to normal next year. It will be 2024/25 instead. 2023 will be even worse.

We have been in a technical recession (contracting GDP) all year. However there are still plenty of jobs. I suspect we will be in recovery in Q4 with ongoing slow growth to follow. Just waiting to get past the drama of the elections....

ikernelpro4

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 4, 2018
We have been in a technical recession (contracting GDP) all year. However there are still plenty of jobs. I suspect we will be in recovery in Q4 with ongoing slow growth to follow. Just waiting to get past the drama of the elections....
It's also normal for consumers to settle down for a bit. Why spend money when you already have a GPU.
I'm on an OG Zen1 1600 and it's been what 5 years now? I only now consider upgrading for a higher C/T & clock count, so you will naturally have phases where customers will come and go in waves.

Especially in this post-covid-shrinkflation-recession-war climate.
Who in their right mind would put almost 1.5-2k€ on a GPU down, that's mentally crazy.
AM5 RAM & Board req will certainly not attract more customers.

The higher the temps & therefore more wattage especially prob. when increasing volts while OC? the higher the temp of the VRM but you'd have to research that yourself to get a 100% factually correct answer.
This is true for overclocking where you go ABOVE the specs.
With this boost all the other settings stay locked, power and vcore only increase up to manufacturers specs, if your VRMs can't handle the normal specs you have much bigger problems.

btmedic04

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015
I have to admit that I am not 100% sure about VRM but from what I read when looking into OCing, some boards have good ones, some cheaper ones have bad ones with few phases.

Additionally the temp reading are not always 100% correct. 100C VRM temp reading is actually in reality much higher when measuring directly on the component

Id question if you were even 10% sure on vrms. Cpu temps have nothing to do with VRM temps and efficiencies. It's the amperage being pulled by the cpu that affects how hard the vrms must be run, and it's up to motherboard manufacturers to design the vrm based off of guidelines provided by amd.

Buildzoid posted a video a week ago showing just how overbuilt x670 motherboards vrms are. He ran a 7950x flat out with the vrm heat sinks removed and no airflow, and temps on the vrm topped out in the mid 70s.
View: https://youtu.be/7wRn1bkqXNA

Please do some research instead of spreading FUD