AMD Will Address RX 480 Power Consumption With Radeon Software Update This Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord_Sunday123

Reputable
Apr 19, 2015
On the danger scale, 3.5/.5 Gb as a little less dangerous than drawing too much power. I'm not saying it is frying mobos, but it remains a possibility. I don't quite understand why either the 480 or the 970 were able to make it out of the factory without people figuring out that there were problems, but you'd think things like that would be easy to figure out.

Vladraconis

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
In the case of the RX 480, it's the old / cheap mobo's that are having issues with the extra amp draw. Maybe they just didn't think it was necessary to test the card on older / cheap mobo's. Which is a bit weird, considering this is a 200$ card, so aimed rather at those who don't have the $$ for more expensive components.

nutjob2

Reputable
Aug 31, 2015
Apparently AMD's little bug will cause your motherboard to go up in flames, but overclocking everything from your CPU to your toilet seat is perfectly ok.

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
No, overclocking is something you do knowing you could be destroying your hardware. When you buy hardware you expect that it will operate in spec by default. They're not even slightly related.

nutjob2

Reputable
Aug 31, 2015

Give me a break, AMD's pushing a power line won't destroy or damage anything. I'm sure AMD's card will operate in spec, it's a new card with bugs, but apparently only AMD gets crucified for that, everyone else gets a pass.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

AMD's card doesn't operate within spec. That's the point.
Had we not pointed this out, the company may not have ever addressed it.

To my knowledge, this is the first time we've discovered a graphics card that pushes the limits of PCIe so far.
It likely won't fry components, but specs exist for a reason and should be adhered to. The public backlash is wholly waranted. No one else is "getting a pass."

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Don't forget to test what exactly is this "Compatibility mode" and it's impacts. Please give us the whole picture, even if you publish it a bit later than other sites! It's public service, not a race ;)

wizout

Commendable
Apr 28, 2016
So far I've seen only 1 reported case of motherboard dying with a RX480 in it and there is no evidence the graphics card is responsible. It might very well be a regular failure.
Can anybody point me to the 'destroyed' motherboard people keep talking about?

Sam Bittermann

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013
I'm sure everyone will test the hech out of the new driver and AMD haters will still hate AMD no matter what the results are. It's more fun to continue the band wagon of kicking a dead horse than one that's alive and can kick back.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
If a motherboard has such a big design flaw that it can supply more current that its hardware was designed for, that would really be a motherboard issue. Yes it's a bad release by AMD, not thoroughly checking if it properly complies to industry standards but, IF a motherboard is fried because of this I'd actually complain to the manufacturer of it.

A power supply can easily fry hardware with excessive ripple. Would it be the hard drive's fault if that causes the hard drive to fry?

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
(Edit: since edit doesn't seem to work in the broken comments forum, here's an old-school edit)

That is a nonsensical comparison, turkey3_scratch. The gpu does not supply or generate the power.

(Edit: To respond to the correct person :D Darn you mobile UI \o/)

George Phillips

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015
I have been bashing AMD on why they didn't make the Polaris chips at TSMC who can probably make them run at 2GHz+. AMD should have quickly decided to abandon Global Foundry and go with TSMC next round. It might be saving money to let GF make the chips, but the end products are slower, hotter, cheaper, and less profitable!!

I really want to see Radeon become so competitive with Nvidia again in the high end cards.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Based on how the reference model is wired/traced, I don't think this can be fixed in software, with the possible exception being an updated vBIOS that forces the IR3567B to call for more power from the 6-pin PCIE connector. Sure, the so-called limit for a 6-pin connector is 75W / 6.25A, but most are fully capable of delivering three-to-four-times as much current.

It's the five tiny 12V pins within the PCIE slot that aren't built to handle more than 1.1A @ 12V that are truly at risk of burning out. These pins are what are at risk, not a potential (so-called) overdraw on the 6-pin PCIE connection.

juggernautxtr

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013

Its called wattman..........(watt manager)
quite easily accessible through a driver tweak now. what you see is the basic side of the power management.
the base programming the things you can't see are most likely guidable through software tweaks.

cmi86

Distinguished
From what I understand the "going up in flames" comments are basically impossible. Burning out a PCI-e slot while extremely unlikely has been reported to have happened a couple times on old boards. Truth be told the only honor I remember for a PC component literally going up in flames belongs to Nvidia with the 480's ahh yes, the old PC incendiary grenade...

Status
Not open for further replies.