AMD Will Be in 109 New Laptops This Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
It's good to see AMD fighting back at Intel. Hopefully the hype is real as AMD processors tend to have crappy battery lifespan since they were never efficient in the older models.

LLJones

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
Maybe now people will start to see how lousy intel graphics are. Their cpu's can't be beat, but I would take an ati gpu any day of the week.

Will have to check these out this fall. Note to all, try to not drop your laptop when it is open or you will be waiting for fall sales like me. Don't get me wrong,it's still portable, but the lcd monitor not so much.

Hiniberus

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
Great, I'll be looking around to see for any decent deals. While I probably won't be getting a new laptop any time soon (Tight budget orz) leads me to sticking with my Hell Latitude E6500 that can't even play a 2D fighting game (Melty Blood Act Cadenza) with winamp in the background (though probably a +5 GB playlist may have something to do with that...) but anyway I hope that laptop manufactures will say "Oh hey people like AMD graphics more? Let's stick with this then!" and thus the world will have a nice smile on it's face as people will manage to get better laptops at lower prices thanks to AMD's extra low prices.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Sorry AMD, I haven't bought an Intel desktop CPU since the Celeron A in 1999 but for laptops I always choose Intel. It's all about battery life and AMD can't compete.

spoofedpacket

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
[citation][nom]LLJones[/nom]Maybe now people will start to see how lousy intel graphics are. Their cpu's can't be beat, but I would take an ati gpu any day of the week. Will have to check these out this fall. Note to all, try to not drop your laptop when it is open or you will be waiting for fall sales like me. Don't get me wrong,it's still portable, but the lcd monitor not so much.[/citation]

Anyone who would hold out four or five months for a sale probably doesn't need a laptop as much as most people who need laptops. There are plenty of spectacular deals popping up all the time. You'll probably be paying more the rest of the year by missing out on the phasing out of many, many Core2duo models as i5 and i3's started showing up in their replacements.

lauxenburg

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
AMD was having a bit of a rough time about 2-3 years ago, but I think now they are back in full swing. Four of my friends actually decided to buy/build new PCs this year and they are all AMD systems, ironically. They were all running Intel before that. I think people are identifying the strengths of AMD in price:performance and forgetting about getting that extra 1% of performance from Intel and paying 50% more for it.

And by the looks of it, AMD is doing even better now. Phenom II X6 is a hit. Radeon is still doing well even with Fermi on the market. FirePro cards are looking really impressive too.

Not sure how long this will hold up, though. Let's hope for the best. I am not a AMD fanboy but I appreciate AMD as a company. Intel is a pretty dirty company at heart. AMD is a little more modest in my opinion.

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
And we also have the computex where AMD will unveil some details on the HD6000. Good months for AMD.

PII X6 will hit i7's hard. If more people realize that it will be even better.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Sorry AMD, I haven't bought an Intel desktop CPU since the Celeron A in 1999 but for laptops I always choose Intel. It's all about battery life and AMD can't compete.[/citation]

Really? I couldn't give two craps about battery life. Then again my laptop is a gaming laptop. And trying to run a games on the 9-freaking-cell battery turns it into a glorified UPS. And it's intel/nvidia unlike everything else in the house.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]False_Dmitry_II[/nom]Really? I couldn't give two craps about battery life.[/citation]

Well kind of the point of laptops is that you can use them on-the-go. Buying a laptop but using it only at home is a waste of money in my opinion and playing games anywhere but at home is... well... let's say I wouldn't. :) Also, playing on small screens is an inferior experience.

danbfree

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
I am seriously glad AMD is back in the market with more efficient chips but it's funny how people are still complaining about Intel Extreme graphics. The new HD graphics are just as crappy as nVidia and AMD low end now... just sayin'...

ottozero

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
Happy for AMD :D
Happier for ATI :D :D
HAPPIEST when Apple Hooks up the Mac Books with AMD FUSION... YEAH.. Good CPU/GPU COMBO :D :D :D :D

ottozero

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
[citation][nom]LLJones[/nom]Maybe now people will start to see how lousy intel graphics are. Their cpu's can't be beat, but I would take an ati gpu any day of the week. Will have to check these out this fall. Note to all, try to not drop your laptop when it is open or you will be waiting for fall sales like me. Don't get me wrong,it's still portable, but the lcd monitor not so much.[/citation]

Dude with out a Doubt intergrated intel Graphics SUCK BIG TIME...and Yes I agree they have Flag Ship CPU's :D

I Perfer ATI Graphics Cards ever since 4800 series :D

[citation][nom]pollom[/nom]For low cost lap tops I prefer AMD, better integrated video card, than intel crapy extreme graphics[/citation]

That because AMD uses ATI discrete GPUs, not integrated.

The power usage is more important though since if you want a gaming on a laptop you normally go for discrete.

As for the topic, I am interested to see their power numbers and performance compared to Intels current line. I haven't suggested a AMD laptop for a while due to their lower performance.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]danbfree[/nom]I am seriously glad AMD is back in the market with more efficient chips but it's funny how people are still complaining about Intel Extreme graphics. The new HD graphics are just as crappy as nVidia and AMD low end now... just sayin'...[/citation]

I disagree, there are plenty of articles that compare the integrated video, and ATI's are much more superior than Intel's strongest offering

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-geforce-gtx-480,2598-6.html

It even shows on the tom's hardware graphics hierarchy chart.

G

I think old AMD mobile chipset are bad and unstable, my friend bought one and sold it again to get an intel one. But i think the newer AMD 700 series chipset is very stable and more reliable and may be offering better experience than intel.

drowned

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Anyone care to do a better job than the article and describe *what* technology is going to be in these laptops? I sure hope they aren't still clinging on to the ye-olde turion 64 x2.

G

Waiting how the AMD's llano APU will perform, and Bobcat processor

It is interesting to see how these technologies goes on

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
109 Laptops.... I never use AMD because the raw power just is not there.... This will be a bad thing unless they step up their game.

Battery life is not a big deal to me because the only portal computer that has ever had enough battery life is my netbook. I want a portable desktop in a real laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS