News AMD Will Hold 20% of Server CPU Market in 2023, Analysts Say

Jimbojan

Honorable
May 17, 2017
I am sorry, I do not agree with your assessment. I believe Intel will gain back the data center share starting in 2023 as Intel is putting out cheaper products and better performance than AMD's, starting in 2024, Intel will have a product even more power efficient than ARM's as Intel claimed. We just have to wait and see to verify it.

I'm honestly surprised that Intel still has as much of the market as they do because they've been getting their butts handed to them by EPYC for nearly six years now. It just goes to show you how too many people are in positions that they're not really qualified for. Noobs buy by brand, experts buy by spec.

Reactions: msroadkill612

pointa2b

Prominent
Dec 22, 2022
This fight for survival between the two will benefit the consumer in terms of performance/efficiency/cost, regardless of the company you prefer.

Neilbob

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
I am sorry, I do not agree with your assessment. I believe Intel will gain back the data center share starting in 2023 as Intel is putting out cheaper products and better performance than AMD's, starting in 2024, Intel will have a product even more power efficient than ARM's as Intel claimed. We just have to wait and see to verify it.

You do love banging this pro-Intel drum I've noticed, especially with regards to energy efficiency - where it has been shown time and time again by multiple publications that Intel, while a bit closer than before, is not more efficient. Unless I'm very much mistaken, didn't even Intel acknowledge that AMD would remain ahead for this year in servers?

And I genuinely wouldn't put any trust at all in their claims about being competitive with ARM until that has been properly verified.

I'm all in favour of there being competition, just to be clear. Your view on the other hand seems rather myopic.

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Doesn't matter much if Intel provides better performance for 300% more power.
Performance per watt is still king in the server market.

This is a complete falicy. With SPR Intel has caught up to Zen 3 based Milan on a per core basis. They are quite a bit behind Genoa in absolute performance. Intel doesn't even try to say they are faster per core. They are showing how much faster they are using their accelerators. The problem with accelerators is you need software that is aware of them and able to use them. Right now there aren't a lot that can.

Reactions: bit_user and P1nky
I'm honestly surprised that Intel still has as much of the market as they do because they've been getting their butts handed to them by EPYC for nearly six years now. It just goes to show you how too many people are in positions that they're not really qualified for. Noobs buy by brand, experts buy by spec.
They are getting their butts handed to them in pure number crunching but that has stopped being a mayor part of servers a long time ago...
Now it's all AI and media transcoding and serving.
Sure supercomputers are still a thing and ryzen is great for that, but do we know what kind of percentage supercomputers are in the whole server/datacenter market?!
In any case we don't have any of the numbers of how many servers use number crunching or media or AI or whatever else, so any comment anyone makes is completely unfounded.

Maybe people in the server market are stupid for buying only by brand, maybe they know what they are doing and just don't need a purely number crunching system.

Reactions: KyaraM and rluker5

TechieTwo

Notable
Oct 12, 2022
Intel has held a large portion of the server market forever because they were the gorilla in the X86 market. As the saying use to be: "No one ever got fired for buying Intel" - even when their products were inferior to AMDs. Intel is likely to remain the gorilla in the X86 market even though AMD's EPYC is superior and it has changed the minds of many. As long as AMD continues to deliver the goods they will continue to grow market share. Past experience with Intel buying sales illustrates how they react to a competitor's superior products. Smart enterprise customers buy based on performance, TCO, etc. not brand.

Reactions: prtskg

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
I thought the estimate was 30% servers for AMD a month ago. What happened?
You're confusing your #'s.
You're thinking of overall x86 Marketshare.
vb3duG2.png

Reactions: prtskg and P1nky

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
You're confusing your #'s.
You're thinking of overall x86 Marketshare.
vb3duG2.png
I never got how that 30% was achieved as an average when AMD doesn't reach that average with any single part of it. Are that many consoles included?
And I'm pretty sure I heard server. AMD EPYC CPUs Including Genoa & Bergamo Expected To Push Server Market Share Beyond 30% (wccftech.com)
Jefferies says AMD could triple its market share due to Intel's problem (cnbc.com)

Edit: I also see real competition for the consoles this time with the modularity of tGPUs.

Last edited:
Reactions: KyaraM
I never got how that 30% was achieved as an average when AMD doesn't reach that average with any single part of it. Are that many consoles included?
After the huge covid bubble revenue for intel went down again by about 30% , that percentage can't just disappear, it can't just be that the market shrunk, no, that percentage has to have gone somewhere, and the only place it could have gone is AMD.
¯\(ツ)/¯ people logic.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/27/intel-stock-tumbles-after-brutal-quarter-full-year-results.html

Reactions: KyaraM and rluker5

KraakBal

Reputable
May 23, 2020
Well I don't agree with that.
Meteor lake is delayed and laptop only, now Arrow lake delayed too. Latest rumours about Sierra forest and granite rapids also that they are being downgraded.
They not gonna win with ARM processor anytime soon also with Microsoft windows being slow on that.

AMD already more power efficient, and Zen 5 coming out probably end of year/Q1 24

Elusive Ruse

Commendable
Nov 17, 2022
After the huge covid bubble revenue for intel went down again by about 30% , that percentage can't just disappear, it can't just be that the market shrunk, no, that percentage has to have gone somewhere, and the only place it could have gone is AMD.
¯\(ツ)/¯ people logic.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/27/intel-stock-tumbles-after-brutal-quarter-full-year-results.html
Dear Intel's PR Correspondent at Tom's Hardware

Advanced Micro Devices Inc (AMD.O) has captured nearly a third of the market for central processor units while British chip technology firm Arm Ltd's rise in the PC market slowed in the fourth quarter of 2022, according to an analyst report.

AMD has grabbed share away from Intel Corp (INTC.O), which still remains the largest player in the market for what are known as x86 processors, which work with popular operating systems like Microsoft Corp's (MSFT.O) Windows. In the fourth quarter, Intel had 68.7% market share for x86 processors versus AMD's 31.3%, which was up from 28.5% a year earlier, according to Mercury Research.

Reactions: bit_user

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
Go ask the publishers of those stats, they're included in the graphic, you can easily figure out who you need to ask.
They want $9970 for a 1-5 user site license. You contact them. I don't need that much badgering trying to sell me a license I don't want.
Going by their given numbers they have overestimated AMD's market share by 30%. I'm guessing they must be counting consoles because lying about this stuff in this manner carries criminal penalties. But that would mean that consoles sell as much as the average of desktop,mobile,server.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I'm honestly surprised that Intel still has as much of the market as they do because they've been getting their butts handed to them by EPYC for nearly six years now.
EPYC has been severely supply-constrained since probably as far back as 2019, which has limited AMD's datacenter market penetration.

AMD also has had some growing pains scaling up its partner support and software organization. They've probably been near the limit of the number of design wins they can handle, for much of the time since the 7002-series launched.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Edit: I also see real competition for the consoles this time with the modularity of tGPUs.
Cool story, until you remember how far behind Intel's GPUs are, performance-wise. What console maker is going to take such a gamble that Intel's next generation GPUs will actually be cost-competitive? It would be a big investment for them to switch, as well.

If Intel wanted to get into the console market, it would basically have to buy its way in, like it tried to do with phones and IoT. Except, they don't have the money, right now, to underwrite such a risky bet.

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
Cool story, until you remember how far behind Intel's GPUs are, performance-wise. What console maker is going to take such a gamble that Intel's next generation GPUs will actually be cost-competitive? It would be a big investment for them to switch, as well.

If Intel wanted to get into the console market, it would basically have to buy its way in, like it tried to do with phones and IoT. Except, they don't have the money, right now, to underwrite such a risky bet.
I've got one of those phones. It was my daughter's until she busted the charge port. 8c atom that only needed that black ram coating for cooling. It could emulate ARM as fast and efficiently as upper midrange Arm could run at the time.
Leagoo T5c.
You've probably heard my rant before. I can't believe they didn't run desktop Windows on that thing. It was faster than most of the atom wave of tablets. Windows mobile was little more than a frustrating tease of the potential glory of running full Windows on a phone. 10 years later and the handhelds are coming out and the odds of a Windows phone coming out this time are nearly moderate. I can practically taste it.

As far as the GPU there is one significant factor you have overlooked. Not only is Intel new to the driver scene for capable GPUs, but the devs made the games to run on existing hardware. If you make the games so they run on Intel hardware they will run better on that than AMD hardware. The upscaling potential would be huge. AMD has completely stagnated in the GPU department.