AMD Will Make Hair Prettier With TressFX Shampoo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just as a statement, its probably not exclusive like this article says. going to quote the blog specifically:

Graphics cards featuring the Graphics Core Next architecture, like select AMD Radeon™ HD 7000 Series, are particularly well-equipped to handle these types of tasks, with their combination of fast on-chip shared memory and massive processing throughput on the order of trillions of operations per second.

leading to my assumption that any card can run it, its just that GCN being compute monsters can utilize it much more easily than other choices, as this effect uses DirectCompute, which gpus should have.

joecole1572

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Finally?

As an AMD video card owner, I am happy that there may be a physx alternative for me. But, I wish someone would make an OpenCL physics alternative that could be run on both nvidia and AMD cards. Who knows, maybe EPIC or CRYTEK can come up with a solution so that we can have a real GPU accelerated physics based game instead of these eye candy enhancements that nvidia and AMD are selling.

joecole1572

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]dudewitbow[/nom]Just as a statement, its probably not exclusive like this article says. going to quote the blog specifically:leading to my assumption that any card can run it, its just that GCN being compute monsters can utilize it much more easily than other choices, as this effect uses DirectCompute, which gpus should have.[/citation]

Ah. I still wouldn't rule out AMD running a check to see if you are running an nvidia card and disabling the feature if you are. It's just like how you can't run physx on a system with an AMD as the primary card and an nvidia as a physx card. The nvidia gpu can do physx...but nvidia won't let you because you bought their competitor's card.

Time will tell and I'll try to be optimistic.

[citation][nom]joecole1572[/nom]Ah. I still wouldn't rule out AMD running a check to see if you are running an nvidia card and disabling the feature if you are. It's just like how you can't run physx on a system with an AMD as the primary card and an nvidia as a physx card. The nvidia gpu can do physx...but nvidia won't let you because you bought their competitor's card.Time will tell and I'll try to be optimistic.[/citation]

heres a quote from an eidos official
No there should not be. AMD has always been quite clear about that as well. We are working on features that are specific to the PC platform, but if they are DX11 features they will also work on Nvidia DX11 hardware.

And while we support features like Eyefinity that does not mean we do not support features like Surround for Nvidia.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=133239&page=2

joecole1572

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Some other tech sites are saying that this will work on nvidia cards. If they are right, we might see gpu accelerated physics go mainstream!

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]joecole1572[/nom]Finally?As an AMD video card owner, I am happy that there may be a physx alternative for me. But, I wish someone would make an OpenCL physics alternative that could be run on both nvidia and AMD cards. Who knows, maybe EPIC or CRYTEK can come up with a solution so that we can have a real GPU accelerated physics based game instead of these eye candy enhancements that nvidia and AMD are selling.[/citation]
Bullet Physics API is OpenCL based and works on both AMD and NVidia cards.....just not widely used because game devs don't get financial incentives for using open source APIs...

G

[citation][nom]zorky9[/nom]Woohoo! Hope this works with Hitman.[/citation]
HIS HAIRSTYLE WAS A CHOICE!!!!

joecole1572

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]Bullet Physics API is OpenCL based and works on both AMD and NVidia cards.....just not widely used because game devs don't get financial incentives for using open source APIs...[/citation]

That's why I was hoping EPIC or CRYTEK would implement something in their engines. Unreal engine is super popular for AAA titles and if Unreal engine 4 had GPU physics, developers wouldn't have to spend so much money for physics features. I think Bullet Physics was only used in 2 games, GTA and Hydrothunder, and both did not utilize GPU physics.

joecole1572

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]Bullet Physics API is OpenCL based and works on both AMD and NVidia cards.....just not widely used because game devs don't get financial incentives for using open source APIs...[/citation]

Also...does anyone else think than nvidia dumbed some of the game's explosions to make the physx accelerated stuff look better in comparison? That is my main gripe with gfx card makers providing incentives to use their tech. It can sometimes lead to...undesirable results. Don't get me wrong, the games come out great...it's just that sometimes companies may want to eliminate conflicts of interest.

(I think this article has gotten me to conspiracy theoristy).

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Nothing about this is original! Go ahead and watch nVidia's "A New Dawn" demo - and go ahead and read their description of that demo regarding her hair, how they achieved it making so lifelike, anyways, I'll make it easy on you: "...The final result looks soft and silky, as if she just jumped out of the shower after an extensive conditioner routine." So this whole "shampoo" nonsense that AMD came up with as their marketing ploy seems rather "borrowed" from nVidia's description.

[citation][nom]omnimodis78[/nom]Nothing about this is original! Go ahead and watch nVidia's "A New Dawn" demo - and go ahead and read their description of that demo regarding her hair, how they achieved it making so lifelike, anyways, I'll make it easy on you: "...The final result looks soft and silky, as if she just jumped out of the shower after an extensive conditioner routine." So this whole "shampoo" nonsense that AMD came up with as their marketing ploy seems rather "borrowed" from nVidia's description.[/citation]

the problem was it was a demo. nvidia never took the initiative to make it a reality.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]dudewitbow[/nom]the problem was it was a demo. nvidia never took the initiative to make it a reality.[/citation]
Nvidia doesn't make games... it simply demonstrated that its hardware can do it. If developers weren't interested in taking advantage of it then so be it. But let's just keep it in perspective that nothing about doveFX, sorry, tressFX is new. It's marketing, not technology.

joecole1572

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Soul_keeper[/nom]I really wish they'd just use opencl for this instead of embracing some proprietary marketing gimmick.[/citation]

Everything AMD and nvidia does is marketing. That's how businesses work. There is a huge difference between demo and implementation. Nvidia had control over their demo and was able to optimize it. AMD had to work with Crystal Dynamics to make sure this worked on a range of hardware and worked in all the environments in the game. They took a great initiative to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.