News AMD Will Reportedly Have 200,000 RX 7900-Series Cards for Sale

lmcnabney

Prominent
Aug 5, 2022
They may not sell out at all.

The market isn't distributed evenly
There is a big market for GPUs that are the best. They will pay even crazy prices to get the best available. There isn't big demand for very expensive cards that aren't the best. That's why the 4080s are languishing on the shelves. Nvidia can sell as many 4090s as they can make, but there just aren't that many customers that will pay four figures for significantly less than the best. You have to dial the price down pretty far to get to another large group of consumers.

Reactions: gg83 and jp7189

Warrior24_7

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
Are they going to ship them all to international markets like Nvidia did, where they will collect dust on shelves while being nearly impossible to find in the US?
Nvidia didn’t do that. Best Buy is contracted to sell their reference cards, and they let scalpers run wild on their site. The cards were immediately sold out. I highly doubt that happens with AMD!

This is going to be interesting to see unfold:
1- these cards sellout and keep being hard to find, making it so that the price point is not unacceptable to a big group of people and nVidia needs to take note for anything under their top flagship.
2- these cards won't sell at all and, much like the 4080 16GB, people will just say "no" to over $600 GPUs that don't offer a good FPS/$ or $/performance ratio, even as "top range" cards.

I for one, depending on their performance, may consider one for VR, but I wouldn't be able to justify the price point for regular games as I have a 1440p@144Hz monitor.

Regards.

Reactions: PEnns and jp7189

DavidLejdar

Prominent
Sep 11, 2022
I was considering whether I should wait and save up more for a GPU like this. And I concluded that it is overkill when not going straight for a 4K setup, and that 4K is too much a premium for me these days, both in regard to initial cost for GPU and proper screen, and also in regard to energy consumption.

Can't complain about the Radeon I did get instead though (below $500 including 19% VAT here), maxing out the 1440p 144Hz screen in the few games I tried so far, and running at below 10 W in idle mode, such as when browsing. And my next upgrade will likely be a CPU with 3D V-Cache, already having the MB with DDR5 for it.

This may not be good enough for some when wanting 4K or at lower resolution 360 FPS at ultra settings. But just meaning to point out that pretty much "graphically high-end gaming" is still possible even without one of the current GPU flagships, in case someone wonders about this.

Reactions: ottonis

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
There was a time where I could see a 3080 / 4080 or a 7900xx in my future. But do I really want to play games at 4K? Not really.

And, considering the obscene greed and anti-consumer policies of those companies, I think I am better off with cheaper GPUs like a 3060 TI or a 6800XT which will be enough for my needs for another 5 years!

Let them and their scalpers sit on or eat those over-priced GPUs.

ottonis

Reputable
Jun 10, 2020
A wise man said: "There are no bad products, just bad prices".

So, these AMD cards will sell quite well if they provide more bang for the buck when compared to their respective nVIDIA counterparts.
If have comparable performance as an RFX 4080, they better be considerably cheaper than the 4080 if they want to sell like hot cakes.

Samlebon2306

Prominent
Oct 27, 2022
A wise man said: "There are no bad products, just bad prices".

So, these AMD cards will sell quite well if they provide more bang for the buck when compared to their respective nVIDIA counterparts.
If have comparable performance as an RFX 4080, they better be considerably cheaper than the 4080 if they want to sell like hot cakes.

$200 cheaper with more performance. Is that not enough bang for the buck?

Are people expecting AMD to give their products for free? If yes, wil it be enough?

Reactions: ottonis

ottonis

Reputable
Jun 10, 2020
$200 cheaper with more performance. Is that not enough bang for the buck?

Are people expecting AMD to give their products for free? If yes, wil it be enough?
200$ less for equal or better performance sounds great to me. Are there already independent tests that have compared the performance of the RX7900 with the performance of a RTX 4080?

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Nvidia didn’t do that. Best Buy is contracted to sell their reference cards, and they let scalpers run wild on their site. The cards were immediately sold out. I highly doubt that happens with AMD!
That's only for the FE models. I'm talking about the AIB models. After browsing through the reviews this morning, I agree with your 2nd point. AMD's cards are unlikely to be immediately sold out.

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
So how exactly did we went from "I am buying an AMD 7900 card for sure" to "nah, too expensive and bla bla 4k bla bla power bill bla bla maybe if $600?
I seriously don't understand people :/

InvalidError

Titan
So how exactly did we went from "I am buying an AMD 7900 card for sure" to "nah, too expensive and bla bla 4k bla bla power bill bla bla maybe if $600?
I seriously don't understand people :/
Performing 20-30% worse than AMD implied it would when it touted "1.7X performance" earlier, the "reference" GPU VRM, fan and power management being seemingly half-baked with half-baked drivers tends to do that.