News AMD won't patch all chips affected by severe data theft vulnerability — Ryzen 1000, 2000, and 3000 will not get patched, among others

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
While I'm personally no expert on these particular matters, it has been made clear to me by someone who is, that this is of little consequence for the home user as it requires an extremely complex, targeted attack. No one is going to be collateral damage and this is the main reason AMD isn't too concerned with patching older, consumer level machines. For us, the risk is basically nil.

Li Ken-un

Distinguished
May 25, 2014
If you already have access to the Kernel, this exploit is kind of a nothing-burger.
I’d imagine this includes scenarios like booting into a USB stick. The OS on the USB stick is compromised, and either you had to turn secure boot off to use it (e.g., Ventoy) or the compromise did not affect secure boot verification. In either case, you’d have a deeply buried rootkit and your main installed OS wasn’t involved at all. All that had to be done was to boot your computer with an already prepared vector of infection.

Gururu

Proper
Jan 4, 2024
Nothing wrong with believing it is a true vulnerability from a homeland security perspective. If I had an AMD though, I wouldn't worry about it much since the dark web already has my social security LOL c/o the banking, credit and healthcare industries.

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I’d imagine this includes scenarios like booting into a USB stick. The OS on the USB stick is compromised, and either you had to turn secure boot off to use it (e.g., Ventoy) or the compromise did not affect secure boot verification. In either case, you’d have a deeply buried rootkit and your main installed OS wasn’t involved at all. All that had to be done was to boot your computer with an already prepared vector of infection.
That still need someone to have access to your system in the first place. And to have credentials to boot it and have time to do all the things you mentioned.

amd ryzen 1xxx 2xxx are so problematic amd try hard to hidden these cpus.
Amd don't want patch these cpus because all the epyc cpus out there. Amd want piles of e-waste
Don't know if that is it.

Most enterprise would be on support contracts with their server\workstations. And those machine are old enough that they would have been swapped out for something newer years ago. Alot of companies will do a hardware refresh at like 3-5 years depending on contract.

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
"AMD processors dating back to 2006 reportedly suffer from a major security flaw that allows attackers to infiltrate a system virtually undetectable."

"Attackers need to access the system kernel to exploit the Sinkclose vulnerability"

If you already have access to the Kernel, this exploit is kind of a nothing-burger.

/facepalm

Regards...?
Drivers often have access to the kernel.
Videocardz could infect the masses. Well at least whoever gets updated drivers from there.
At least Windows prompts you before you install something.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
"AMD processors dating back to 2006 reportedly suffer from a major security flaw that allows attackers to infiltrate a system virtually undetectable."

"Attackers need to access the system kernel to exploit the Sinkclose vulnerability"

/facepalm

Regards...?
2nd hand market. Early generation Zen CPU's you're 99.99% likely to be buying them used. Do you know where that system has been?

SonoraTechnical

Reputable
May 28, 2020
Really disappointed in Tom's Hardware on this one... It's a sensationalistic headline for generating clicks. You are overstating a threat that's actually never been implemented.

Keep this kind of reporting up and I'll just get my news elsewhere.