AMD Working on Drivers to Fix Micro-Stutter in CrossFire

Status
Not open for further replies.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
this generation of cards is nearly 2 years old, and they FINALLY got around to fixing it. smh. better late than never i suppose. i pity amd fans that went the dual gpu route over nvidias.

ibn gozzy

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
TOOO Late! I finally got sick of trying to run a tri-fire system (5970+5879) smoothly on tough titles. The tri-fire worked pretty well on games that didn't require lots of graphics muscle (Borderlands2 and Bioshock infinite) but on really demanding titles (Metro 2033 or last light or BF3, I had to disable it and just let the 5970 do all the work at high quality but no eye candy (low AA and AF). It almost seemed more of a gimmick with AMD cards and less functional. So now I have 2 NVIDIA GTX 780s in SLI and I'll never go back. BTW the AMD cards were H2O cooled but not overclocked cuz that seemed to make the stuttering worse. Can't wait to void the warranty on those 780s though.

brandonjclark

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
Built-in dual GPU's don't exhibit micro-stutter. So, in the case of the 6990 and the like, no. Crossfire performance is still expected to increase, however. As a dual 6870 user, this is LONG overdue.

Actually I think they do have MS to some extent even on a single dual-gpu card.

Why not? Dual gpu still work exactly two separate cards in sli or cf. Also this fix most likely for 7k users. So non 7k users don't put too high expectation the fix will include their card

Hunter_Killers

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2003

They stated on twitter that it applies to that card. Also lol the replies on that twitter post.

wrong, dual gpu cards do experience micro-stutter exactly the same as 2 separate cards do. So in the case of the 6990, yes it does have micro-stutter. As a former 6850 crossfire user i'm so glad i sold them a month after i got the second one, would have had to wait all this time for a "maybe" fix, even now i have my doubts as this has been noted since they first introduced crossfire. Will not buy another one of their cards. Nvidia seem to be very prompt to fix any issues with their drivers, although there are rarely any problems with them.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
NVidia is not perfect....they have their issues too...just not as many

kid-mid

Honorable
May 1, 2013
it's about time even though old news.
Radeon hired two or three guys away from nVidia last year so maybe this is a result of what's to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.