Question AMD Wraith Spire Cooler + Motherboard RGB Issue.

Nov 10, 2022
Hey, before I start, here are my PC's specs.

Motherboard - GIGABYTE AORUS GA-AX370 Gaming 5
Case - Corsair 220T
Graphics Card - GeForce GTX 1050Ti ASUS Phoenix
Memory - Crucial Ballistix 16GB 3200mhz
CPU - Ryzen 5 2400G
CPU Cooler - AMD Wraith Spire RGB

My issue is that the only way I can change my AMD Wraith Spire color, is by changing my motherboard color, when I use RGB Fusion to change my motherboard color, for example if I changed my motherboard color to red, my motherboard goes to pink, and AMD Wraith Spire to green.
If I change it to green, my motherboard goes to a bright cyanish color, and my CPU cooler red.

So, the bottom line here is that for most systems RGB Fusion sucks onions. And no, onions was not the first thing that came to mind, but it's a family friendly site so.......

If you are not looking for some unusual funky color, try using the RGB controls in the BIOS. But first, uninstall RGB fusion so it doesn't interfere.

Nov 10, 2022
So, the bottom line here is that for most systems RGB Fusion sucks onions. And no, onions was not the first thing that came to mind, but it's a family friendly site so.......

If you are not looking for some unusual funky color, try using the RGB controls in the BIOS. But first, uninstall RGB fusion so it doesn't interfere.
Hey, so I just did this. Still same problem. Although today I realised my LED_C1 was plugged in the wrong way, that's why the colors were messed up. It didn't fix it though. Say if I change my motherboard to pink, both go to pink. If I change it to green, my motherboard goes green and my cooler goes a really nice baby blue. If i turn OFF the rgb, they both go a dark blue color.

This might be an issue of the Wraith spire RGB actually being "RGB" and not "ARGB". I also see that there are indications online that for the Wraith RGB coolers there is a cooler specific utility that they are saying you need to download and control through that. Might look into that as well. I'd do it, but I don't have a Wraith RGB cooler of any kind to test with. I have several different types of Wraith cooler, but none of them are lighted models.

Nov 10, 2022
This might be an issue of the Wraith spire RGB actually being "RGB" and not "ARGB". I also see that there are indications online that for the Wraith RGB coolers there is a cooler specific utility that they are saying you need to download and control through that. Might look into that as well. I'd do it, but I don't have a Wraith RGB cooler of any kind to test with. I have several different types of Wraith cooler, but none of them are lighted models.
Would you be able to send a link of this utility you've found?

Well, looks like I was wrong and that utility only works with the Wraith Prism, not the Spire.

Like I said though, the RGB fusion software is pretty piss poor, so you might want to at least TRY one of the open source lighting utilities like OpenRGB, POSSIBLY "Wraith master" which at one point only supported Prism coolers but was supposed to add support for all Wraith RGB models at some point, Project Aurora, Artemis 2 or a slew of other control utilities. I can't say for sure that any of them will cure the problem you are seeing but one of them, or another similar alternative, might.

Might consider simply getting a different, and better, cooler, that may actually work the way it's supposed to.

This is a far superior CPU cooler than any of the Wraith coolers, which should enable your CPU to maintain boost frequencies longer and potentially higher boost frequencies, as well as the fact that I know this cooler works with the ARGB controls on the newer Gigabyte boards because I've used this cooler on four AMD X570, B550 and Z690 boards so far and had no problem achieving the correct color using both the BIOS and RGB fusion controls.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Assassin X Refined SE ARGB 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($22.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $22.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-20 01:52 EST-0500

Being as you have an older board design, can't make any promises though.

In point of fact, what is the currently installed motherboard BIOS version?

Nov 10, 2022
Well, looks like I was wrong and that utility only works with the Wraith Prism, not the Spire.

Like I said though, the RGB fusion software is pretty piss poor, so you might want to at least TRY one of the open source lighting utilities like OpenRGB, POSSIBLY "Wraith master" which at one point only supported Prism coolers but was supposed to add support for all Wraith RGB models at some point, Project Aurora, Artemis 2 or a slew of other control utilities. I can't say for sure that any of them will cure the problem you are seeing but one of them, or another similar alternative, might.

Might consider simply getting a different, and better, cooler, that may actually work the way it's supposed to.

This is a far superior CPU cooler than any of the Wraith coolers, which should enable your CPU to maintain boost frequencies longer and potentially higher boost frequencies, as well as the fact that I know this cooler works with the ARGB controls on the newer Gigabyte boards because I've used this cooler on four AMD X570, B550 and Z690 boards so far and had no problem achieving the correct color using both the BIOS and RGB fusion controls.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Assassin X Refined SE ARGB 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($22.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $22.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-20 01:52 EST-0500

Being as you have an older board design, can't make any promises though.

In point of fact, what is the currently installed motherboard BIOS version?
Currently F51f

BIOS version listings for that board show no such BIOS version, so it must have been a BETA BIOS version that has since been removed. Possibly because it was buggy. They don't usually remove BIOS versions from the list of available revisions unless there was an actual problem with it. I'd advise that you update to what is ACTUALLY the latest version, which is F51g released 7-27-00.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AX370-Gaming-5-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios