• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question AMD Wraith Stealth Cooler

Math Geek

Champion
Ambassador
i just ordered a be quiet pure rock 2 cooler to replace the stock cooler for the 3700x. has this real whiny sound and it ramps up and down quite a lot. got real annoying real fast.

i'd suggest something else personally. it's no better than the stock 3700x cooler and not worth extra money. there are some decent budget coolers around that would be a better buy if you want a different cooler.

Jul 13, 2020
i just ordered a be quiet pure rock 2 cooler to replace the stock cooler for the 3700x. has this real whiny sound and it ramps up and down quite a lot. got real annoying real fast.

i'd suggest something else personally. it's no better than the stock 3700x cooler and not worth extra money. there are some decent budget coolers around that would be a better buy if you want a different cooler.
Thanks for the prompt reply. I just looked, and those coolers are the ones that come with the Ryzen 7 3700X. Do you think the HQ thermal paste and low-noise adapters would make any difference? Or would it not matter. The Ryzen 7 3700X only draws 65W.

Math Geek

Champion
Ambassador
i'm not sure about those dampeners. vibration is not a problem for me. what happens is when it picks the strongest single core and uses it a lot, the temps for that core go up enough to make the fan speed ramp up. since it is only one core, it cools quickly and then the fan slows back down. this happens A LOT!!! so you get this constant speed up/slow down drone from it. the fan has a bit of a whine to it that makes it very annoying.

this is why i am replacing it, i expect the fan to still flux like that but quiet enough to not bother me since it won't go full speed.

it's a nice looking cooler really and keeps the temps in check very easily so that's not an issue. it's just that freaking sound of the fan that caused me to replace it.

King_V

Distinguished

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The Wraith Stealth comes stock on the 3600. The Wraith Prism comes stock on the 3700x.

Just wondering why you'd spend money to buy a cooler that's not only designed for a lower rated cpu, but also isn't as good at the job intended as the one you'll be getting for free.

Low noise adapter. In other words you cut down the 12v of the fan, to 9v instead, and expect it to cool as efficiently? It's a pwm fan, it's supposed to work at 12v constantly. Cutting a pwm fan back to 9v and still trying to operate at pwm controlled speeds is going to not be good at all for the motor.

Zerk2012

Polypheme
Ambassador
Is this a quality cooler to use for a Ryzen 7 3700X? My concern is that it will be too loud. I'm considering building multiple systems with my friends, and have found this ebay listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-3-AMD-Wraith-Stealth-Coolers-with-Low-Noise-Adapters-and-Thermal-Paste/254652617492. What do you guys think?
100% no the original coolers are barely adequate. Low noise adapters are a cable with a resistor built in to lower the voltage going to the fan to make it run slower.

Fairly bad people sell crap like that.

To lower the noise buy a decent aftermarket cooler.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS