AMD X2 5200+ or Intel Core 2 E6320 ???

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fender22

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
Here we go with the Intel blah blah superior stuff...As long as you put together a well balanced system overall, then you will be very happy with it. Who cares if you dont get 10 more frames per second from OCing your processor as long as its smooth,playable and makes you happy. There isnt any game out now that slows mine down, maxed settings 1920 x 1200 loving it! All those Intel bandwagon people will come back to AMD once the quad core and R600 come out this summer and be back on top.

The r600 already has been admitted to not being able to beat the 8800gtx. It's not even designed to compete with it. Check anandtech if you don't believe me. AMD won't return to being on top with the GPU crowd, maybe k10 if it comes out before Penryn at the rate AMD is going it won't.

I know this stuff. This is all DX9 bechies if I remember... The word is that the AMDs r600 is more optimized for Dx10

fender22

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
depending on how much video editing you're doing, which of the processors have a larger cache? that cache helps determine which one will be faster overall, even if they're clocked similarly.

Hmmm, no no.. You cannot compare, Clock speed, Cache size, or many other things across different processor family's with different architecture... Cache size between any Athlon x2 and C2D is not a valid way to compare... It just has to be benched out.. The 4600+ is relatively = to the e6300... And the 6000+ is relatively = to the e6600... The 5200+ lies somewhere in between, but it does, in fact, beat out the e6320 (at stock speeds)

senor_bob

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Here we go with the Intel blah blah superior stuff...As long as you put together a well balanced system overall, then you will be very happy with it. Who cares if you dont get 10 more frames per second from OCing your processor as long as its smooth,playable and makes you happy. There isnt any game out now that slows mine down, maxed settings 1920 x 1200 loving it!
Excellent post to this point - I agree completely. Well except for maxing Oblivion or FSX on a GTS at 1920x1200 - that's SLI'd GTX territory - even if you have a 5 GHz Barcelona Quad FX sample powering it.
All those Intel bandwagon people will come back to AMD once the quad core and R600 come out this summer and be back on top.
And you had to go here. Those "Intel bandwagon" people would be what we call "non fanboys" - we buy what's best at the time if it happens to be Intel or AMD, ATI or nVidia. So yes we'll be back with AMD IF the K10 is better than Conroe C2Ds, then back to Intel IF Penryn beats K10, and so on. As it should be. Otherwise, why would either company bother developing products if they had enough fanboys to always buy whatever they were peddling?

Regarding the R600 vs G80, we'll see when the real benches come out. I don't have a sample card, how about you guys? I do still have high hopes for the R650 in any case.

Anyway, regarding the OP: with no overclocking the answer is clearly the AMD system.

the_vorlon

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
I stay away from the 2 x 1 meg cache x2 processors for two simple reasons:

The jump from 2 x 512 to 2 x 1024 have a very, very modest impact on actual performance - a couple percent.. maybe....
SEcondly, if you do overclock, the 2 x 1024 chips tend to be failed high bin Opterons, so they have little or no headroom to overclock.

In the x2 line, the x2 5400 (2 x 2.8 ghz) is actually 6 or 7 percent faster for about $15 more, so it's a good deal.

Going down in the line, the x2 5000+, same x 2.6 ghz cores, except 512 cache is maybe 2% slower, but also cheaper.

An Intel 6420 is the same speed as an x2 5400/5600 and about the same price, so if you are running at stock speeds, either is a good pick.

If you overclock, the Intel will utterly destroy any AMD chip, but for everyday work, the market place has performed well, and chips with very similar performance have very similar prices.

If you already have an AM2 board, the AMD chip is a no brainer.

If you are starting fresh, at anything 6000+/E6600 and below speed wise, both companies have a chip that is withing couple percent of the other firm both in terms of price and performance at every speed grade.

easyg

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2007
Hi building a new system so got confused whether to go for Amd or Intel. help me guys. wana use it for heavy softwares like video editing, graphics and alot of gaming. i aint an overclocker.

Get the 5200. The E6320 can outperform it significantly, but only with overclocking which means an enthusiast mb and a good hs/f and memory modules. That setup would cost more money than the AMD alternative. But it's really a moot point since you said you aren't an overclocker.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
gOJDO, can you really know that AMD will or will not make a product to take back the performance crown, at this point it seems like there is way to much speculation... But it does seem that the 8800GTX will go unchallenged for now because of the way the x2900xt is on level with the 8800GTS... Buuut it has been said that the x2000s are more optimized for DX10... anyways, My point is that I don't think that any claims can be made for the future of r600 and Barcy...
I agree about R600, we need DX10 benchmarks to declare it as a failure. But, AMD already admitted that it will be slower than G80.
About K10, no body knows for sure until release. Everything depends on its frequency. If the rumors about its top frequency of 2.5GHz are true, then you don't have to be genius to conclude that K10 won't bring the crown back to AMD. According to the micro-architecture details, I don't believe that a K10 at 2.5GHz will outperform a 65nm 3GHz C2Q. But, even if happens K10 to be so amazingly good, it will face a 3.66(if not more)GHz Penryn.

Ycon

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
E6320
Just wait for a P35 mainboard (anybody know when they are launched?) and you have some nice upgrade path until 32nm processors arrive.

Concering the processors itself, theres not much of a difference. Only thing is that you can use cheapo RAM with the C2D.

shahzad

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2004
hi thanx for posting ur views but i am wondering should i buy an asus m2n sli deluxe for amd 5200+ and asus x1950pro, this wat my budget says, i will be crossfiring another graphics card but the board allows crossfiring at 8x so is it slower than crossfiring at 16x. Thanx

BaldEagle

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004
hi thanx for posting ur views but i am wondering should i buy an asus m2n sli deluxe for amd 5200+ and asus x1950pro, this wat my budget says, i will be crossfiring another graphics card but the board allows crossfiring at 8x so is it slower than crossfiring at 16x. Thanx

First good choice on the AMD.

Second you must use the same graphics cards in crossfire mode. The 8x/16x isn't that big of a hit to system performance the bus isn't maxed out at 8x for the x1950pro. As for the whole crossfire story just get a better GPU and forget crossfire it's twice the money for maybe 20% more performance.

fender22

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
gOJDO, can you really know that AMD will or will not make a product to take back the performance crown, at this point it seems like there is way to much speculation... But it does seem that the 8800GTX will go unchallenged for now because of the way the x2900xt is on level with the 8800GTS... Buuut it has been said that the x2000s are more optimized for DX10... anyways, My point is that I don't think that any claims can be made for the future of r600 and Barcy...
I agree about R600, we need DX10 benchmarks to declare it as a failure. But, AMD already admitted that it will be slower than G80.
About K10, no body knows for sure until release. Everything depends on its frequency. If the rumors about its top frequency of 2.5GHz are true, then you don't have to be genius to conclude that K10 won't bring the crown back to AMD. According to the micro-architecture details, I don't believe that a K10 at 2.5GHz will outperform a 65nm 3GHz C2Q. But, even if happens K10 to be so amazingly good, it will face a 3.66(if not more)GHz Penryn.

Haha.. We can declare it a failure yet is what it sounds like... I see your point and it is a formidable argument... You have your judgment.. and I have my hope for a stellar product and higher clocks... :lol:

wow for once no one is screaming INTEL RULES

At stock speeds, the AMD
Overclocking (final performance), the Intel
Future Proof System, Intel (ATM theres quad cores etc)

if your want a fast system, either will do it, for most the AMD will be the choice here.

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007

Unless you go for two of the best card, of the same exact type it's not worth the money to go sli or Crossfire you can always buy a better card for the same amount for the price of the two cards.

TRENDING THREADS