AMD X4 635 - only 2 cores running

G

I have the above processor, and when setting it up for first time, my Bios on my mobo(Asus M4A785T-M) asked if I wanted to unlock all cores, which I did, so the Mobo splash screen says 4 cores are activated when it boots up, but when I run CPU-Z it says only 2 cores are running (and 2 threads). So I am not sure what to beleive. How to I get all 4 cores running for sure, and how do I confirm it.

I bought a quad core processor because I wanted all 4 cores - I would assume it would run that way by default, but apparantly not.

Am I missing something- I am familiar with computers, but not to up on unlocking/overclocking etc - I don't plan to overclock at all - just want to get my money's worth out of the processor(I could have bought a 2 core for alot less if that's what I wanted).

Is there a difinitve way to verify number of cores running.

Thanks,
Michael

Solution
I have the above processor, and when setting it up for first time, my Bios on my mobo(Asus M4A785T-M) asked if I wanted to unlock all cores, which I did, so the Mobo splash screen says 4 cores are activated when it boots up, but when I run CPU-Z it says only 2 cores are running (and 2 threads). So I am not sure what to beleive. How to I get all 4 cores running for sure, and how do I confirm it.

I bought a quad core processor because I wanted all 4 cores - I would assume it would run that way by default, but apparantly not.

Am I missing something- I am familiar with computers, but not to up on unlocking/overclocking etc - I don't plan to overclock at all - just want to get my money's worth out of the processor(I could have bought...

Am I missing something- I am familiar with computers, but not to up on unlocking/overclocking etc - I don't plan to overclock at all - just want to get my money's worth out of the processor(I could have bought a 2 core for alot less if that's what I wanted).

Is there a difinitve way to verify number of cores running.

Thanks,
Michael

So when it boots up, you say bios shows 4 cores but windows only see 2?

That doesn't sound like a bios issue to me.

Did you happen to have a dual core cpu in this MB you installed windows before having a quad core or did you install windows when the cpu was actting as a dual core?

One of those 2 things seems to happen.

If so then what you'll need to do is either

A.) Bring up "System configuration untility" (type in (winodws 7/vista )the search bar "msconfig" or (xp) click run then type msconfig)

Then head to the BOOT.INI and click advance options.

and see if the "NUMPROC" is checked or not.

If checked. Uncheck it then reboot. It will limit the number of cores you are able to uses in windows

If not, then head to option B.

B.) Reinstall windows. That should let windows see 4 cores instead of 2.

If neither of them work then i would flow what timop said and update bios and see if that helps.

Solution

Timop

Distinguished

That could be the problem too, just his description sounds like it was a new build.

Do this first, because BIOS updates isnt something you'd want to do on a regular basis.

G

Warmon6 was right. Under msconfig, Numproc was checked and only showed 2 cores max, I unchecked it and rebooted and now CPU-Z is showing all 4 processors. Looks like I can also now set "Numroc" to 4 if I want. This was a new build, but most likely the mobo only had 2 cores running originally when installing windows(which I unlocked later) - could have also been that the first mobo I had on it, failed - bad LAN port so I exchanged it and maybe the settings didn't match the original install- whatever the case, I'm glad to know I don't have to reinstall Windows.

By the way, I don't see where you can determine the number of processors under task manager - under CPU I see the activity, but not how many processors (Just have activity on the 2 processors).

Lastly , will running 4 processors require more wattage that running just the 2, even if not really utilize them, or is the power consumption negligible - This is a an HTPC running 24/7 - the 2 processors were running well, but I also do some ripping, encoding in the background and was hoping the 4 cores would help more with this. I am using the AMD EPU-4 utilitiy to check wattage and the 4 cores seem to not make much difference in wattage from what I can see but I don't know if it is monitoring all 4 or just one Is there a good utility out there for checking wattage on the cpus regularly.

Thanks for all the help all . .

mh

Timop

Distinguished
Warmon6 was right. Under msconfig, Numproc was checked and only showed 2 cores max, I unchecked it and rebooted and now CPU-Z is showing all 4 processors. Looks like I can also now set "Numroc" to 4 if I want. This was a new build, but most likely the mobo only had 2 cores running originally when installing windows(which I unlocked later) - could have also been that the first mobo I had on it, failed - bad LAN port so I exchanged it and maybe the settings didn't match the original install- whatever the case, I'm glad to know I don't have to reinstall Windows.

By the way, I don't see where you can determine the number of processors under task manager - under CPU I see the activity, but not how many processors (Just have activity on the 2 processors).

Lastly , will running 4 processors require more wattage that running just the 2, even if not really utilize them, or is the power consumption negligible - This is a an HTPC running 24/7 - the 2 processors were running well, but I also do some ripping, encoding in the background and was hoping the 4 cores would help more with this. I am using the AMD EPU-4 utilitiy to check wattage and the 4 cores seem to not make much difference in wattage from what I can see but I don't know if it is monitoring all 4 or just one Is there a good utility out there for checking wattage on the cpus regularly.

Thanks for all the help all . .

mh
Idle power would more about the same, you'll only see a difference when you push them. If you want to mess with the processor for lower power/heat go ahead, some run fine with a vCore as low as 1.175v.

I've seen a thread like this before. The commonality was that both of you tried to use the unlocking feature on quad cores. Turn it off.

asked if I wanted to unlock all cores, which I did
There were no cores to unlock. You HAD 4 cores. Don't do that. That feature is for unlocking triple cores into quad cores and dual cores into quad cores etc. Basically unlocking dormant cores that AMD disabled.

G

this unlocking was not in the bios. it was the asus splash screen and it required a keypress during bootup that activated all 4 cores. now when i bootup its shows a picture of all 4 cores activated.

this unlocking was not in the bios. it was the asus splash screen and it required a keypress during bootup that activated all 4 cores. now when i bootup its shows a picture of all 4 cores activated.
It's the exact same thing. Just a shortcut for ease of use and marketing. When I updated my m4A785-M motherboard bios recently, the same message began appearing on boot up.