Question AMD x570 Chipset drivers update error

So I just updated my ASUS x570-f BIOS to the latest version 1405 to fix some issues I was having with a previous version. I thought, "Well I should also update my chipset drivers because they have optimized it for the windows scheduler since my last update." So I go to the AMD website and download the latest version of the chipset drivers. I delete the old AMD power plans and extract the new driver installer to my desktop. I start the installer and it starts extracting the drivers to the c/AMD folder when I get this error https://www.dropbox.com/s/acb6i95am8xxl3e/Bad image error.png?dl=0 . I close the error and the installer keeps functioning but after I install everything I realize none of it actually installed because the power plans don't show up in the power options...

I need help fixing this issue. With the default Microsoft power plan options my 3900x won't boost like it did before at all. I cannot figure this out. my computer specs are in the description minus the PSU which is a Seasonic PRIME 850w titanium.

So I just updated my ASUS x570-f BIOS to the latest version 1405 to fix some issues I was having with a previous version. I thought, "Well I should also update my chipset drivers because they have optimized it for the windows scheduler since my last update." So I go to the AMD website and download the latest version of the chipset drivers. I delete the old AMD power plans and extract the new driver installer to my desktop. I start the installer and it starts extracting the drivers to the c/AMD folder when I get this error https://www.dropbox.com/s/acb6i95am8xxl3e/Bad image error.png?dl=0 . I close the error and the installer keeps functioning but after I install everything I realize none of it actually installed because the power plans don't show up in the power options...

I need help fixing this issue. With the default Microsoft power plan options my 3900x won't boost like it did before at all. I cannot figure this out. my computer specs are in the description minus the PSU which is a Seasonic PRIME 850w titanium.
How did you delete the old power plans? I'd suggest un-installing the old drivers first without doing a separate delete. Do that with Control Panel/Programs and Features/AMD Software

But that error looks like something that might pop up if the driver package was corrupted during download or extraction. Maybe try a new download.

If that doesn't help do an 'sfc /scannow' from command prompt with admin rights.

Clean up and repair of the Component Store might also be needed with DISM tool.

EDIT: and oh yes, are you on Windows 10 ver. 1909? If not, it might be helpful to force-update to it. Just type Windows Update in Cortana and check for updates.

Last edited:
How did you delete the old power plans? I'd suggest un-installing the old drivers first without doing a separate delete. Do that with Control Panel/Programs and Features/AMD Software

But that error looks like something that might pop up if the driver package was corrupted during download or extraction. Maybe try a new download.

If that doesn't help do an 'sfc /scannow' from command prompt with admin rights.

Clean up and repair of the Component Store might also be needed with DISM tool.

EDIT: and oh yes, are you on Windows 10 ver. 1909? If not, it might be helpful to force-update to it. Just type Windows Update in Cortana and check for updates.
I deleted the old power plans via the selection menu for the plans themselves. I will not try to uninstall then install because the install wont work then im left with no drivers.

The download was from strong wired connection and i tried it with a multiple versions of the drivers and all had the same issue.

The first thing i did was the sfc and dism scans with no luck. No corruption found.

I am on 1903. I will update to 1909.

Please keep the ideas coming this is driving me crazy.

I deleted the old power plans via the selection menu for the plans themselves. I will not try to uninstall then install because the install wont work then im left with no drivers.
The thing is, if you are getting that error and you can't install updated drivers there's really no reason to believe that you have a functional driver installed at all. In which case you're probably operating off default Windows drivers which offer a basic level of functionality.

You might also go into device manager and look for devices that have error flags. Look especially in the System Devices section.

Hopefully, though, the update to version 1909 fixes what ever's wrong.

The thing is, if you are getting that error and you can't install updated drivers there's really no reason to believe that you have a functional driver installed at all. In which case you're probably operating off default Windows drivers which offer a basic level of functionality.

You might also go into device manager and look for devices that have error flags. Look especially in the System Devices section.

I installed a previous version of the AMD driver with no issues so it stands to reason my computer is using the said driver.

Nothing in device manager has an "error flag" as far as I can tell.

Updating now.

Edit: Update 1909 did not fix my issue.

I went ahead and reinstalled DirectX, Visual C++ Redistributable 2008 - 2019, and the .Net Framework. This also did not fix my issue.

I did the sfc and DISM scans again to no avail.

I tried to uninstall the AMD Chipset drivers via programs and feature and as soon as I click uninstall I get the same error as the one I get when trying to install the new ones.

This is very perplexing...

Last edited:

So when I tried uninstalling the AMD chipset drivers via programs and features and clicked okay on the error and went through with the uninstall the chipset no longer shows up on the programs and features list. So I tried installing with the latest version again and the error still came up but I just clicked okay and installed anyway again. I just checked the programs and features list and the new version is on the list as if it were installed and I have the Ryzen power plans again... So assuming that error didn't prevent installation of anything I think I am good?
I still don't understand why I get that error or if it has any implications...

Last edited:
I still don't understand why I get that error or if it has any implications...
Looking at the error, it looks to me like there could be a file in the driver store that is inconsistent with what is being installed. That could mean there's driver store corruption.

My, probably simplistic, understanding is the windows store is a safe place where a copy of every file that's currently needed, or ever has been needed from previous updates, to operate Windows. If you deleted one of these files in the Windows system32, for instance, it would just replace it with one from the store and keep on rolling.

Since you passed SFC /scannow with flying colors, you might try this:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

and

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Also at command line with admin rights. It does nothing, just checks health of the windows store to see if the there is any corruption. One just takes longer, I guess it's more thorough.

It's all documented at this Microsoft site:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/repair-a-windows-image

Last edited:
Looking at the error, it looks to me like there could be a file in the driver store that is inconsistent with what is being installed. That could mean there's driver store corruption.

My, probably simplistic, understanding is the windows store is a safe place where a copy of every file that's currently needed, or ever has been needed from previous updates, to operate Windows. If you deleted one of these files in the Windows system32, for instance, it would just replace it with one from the store and keep on rolling.

Since you passed SFC /scannow with flying colors, you might try this:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

and

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Also at command line with admin rights. It does nothing, just checks health of the windows store to see if the there is any corruption. One just takes longer, I guess it's more thorough.

It's all documented at this Microsoft site:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/repair-a-windows-image
As I have said before I did DISM scans 3 times already. All passed with no corruption. I am very familiar with these scans myself.