[SOLVED] AMD X570 Motherboard and Intel Optane M.2 Detection Problem

noldor

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
Hello,

I recently upgraded my system from Intel 9900K to AMD 5950X. My new motherboard is ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero

I also have a new PCIex 4 M.2 SSD, which I installed new Win 10 OS on it. My goal was to install 2 x M.2 SSDs; using new one as main system disk and using old Intel Optane one as secondary disk.
The problem is, both BIOS and Windows only detect the 25GB Optane part of the Intel SSD, but they don't detect actual 460GB part of that Intel SSD. I can't see it on "diskpart" or on windows partition manager either.

I know that Optane memories are only supported by Intel Chipsets/Processors, but still, I was expecting it would be detected smoothly as a standard normal SSD.. and it's weird it can see the Optane part of it but not the actual larger part of the disk.
I tried updating BIOS and also installing latest chipset drivers. Nothing changed.

Disk Management Screen Shot Link

Any idea what might be the problem here?

New SSD Model is : Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME
Old Intel Optane model is : INTEL HBRPEKNX0202AO

Solution
I am not saying this is the problem with your drive but I have noticed on my own NVME drive previously if they are not slotted perfectly i.e. not fully pushed in to the slot still screwed in but tiny fraction more in to the clip can cause an issue. Might be the problem is all I am saying was in my case have not had an issue since.
I am not saying this is the problem with your drive but I have noticed on my own NVME drive previously if they are not slotted perfectly i.e. not fully pushed in to the slot still screwed in but tiny fraction more in to the clip can cause an issue. Might be the problem is all I am saying was in my case have not had an issue since.

Solution

noldor

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010

Sounds unlikely since its 25GB optane part is already visible, but I will still check this out.