Question AMD X570 Motherboard

braxus

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
Im thinking about ditching my Intel setup (currently Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 with 7800X CPU) for an AMD Ryzen 9 setup. I was going to just upgrade the CPU in my Intel motherboard, but it mentioned with Gigabyte it won't be compatible with Optane drives which is what I use as the main drive, if I get the new 10,000X series CPU for Intel. So it seems I'd have to replace my motherboard regardless. Anyway the AMD board Im looking at is a Asus Prime X570- Pro and the CPU Im planning to get is the Ryzen 9 3950X. I need a motherboard with lots of PCI-E slots and not many of them today have that many anymore. I currently use the Nvidia 1030GT video card, the Intel Optane 900 SSD drive in a PCI-E slot, a video capture card in a PCI-E slot, a 1394 card in PCI-E, and lastly a IDE card in a PCI-E slot. So I need 5 slots, 3 of which can be x1 speed.

My questions are- will all those PCI-E slots be active with my setup? Also this motherboard has a HDMI out port, so would I be able to ditch my 1030 video card and just use the onboard motherboard graphics? Or would I need a G CPU to use that option? Are the stock CPU coolers ok to use?

Lastly do you think the Ryzen 3950X cpu will be able to keep up to a new 10,000 series X series CPU, depending on how many cores? I was looking at the 12 core.

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
The 3950X does not have a integrated GPU so the HDMI port on the motherboard will be non-functional... Because of the high current draw on the 3950X, make sure you buy a board with a heavy duty VRM design. A number of boards (notably MSi) VRMs overheat with temps of over 100+ degrees with the 3900X so using a 3950 will pose a stronger load on the motherboard. Better VRM boards usually run only 65-75 degrees which is a lot cooler.

The 3950X has 16 cores. According to Tom's, the 3950X is about 50% faster than the 3900X and over 100% faster than Intel's i9 9900K when running Cinebench...

I would not recommend the stock air cooler for the 3950X. You will have to get a real beefy air cooler or a twin/triple fan radiator...

The Asus Prime X570- Pro did okay but there are better boards in the below video...

See this video for recommended (not recommended) AMD boards...

TRENDING THREADS