AMD x6 1050t/1090t vs Intel i7-930 (rendering)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunmetal

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
Hey,

Basically the story is that I and one other guy are discussing build workstation/rendering pc.

AMD x6 1050t/1090t vs Intel i7-930 Our fight basically is about choice of CPU :/

I say that AMD x6 cpu would because:
*cheaper for one(mobo, cpu) it takes of at least 200$ from cost of build.
*We can spend that spare money for more ram that workstations for multimedia edition so like to eat up.
*power difference between amd and intel cpu is not so big(most likely user wouldn't notice the difference).
*Intel over expensive/overkill in this case, 3way memory and HT(which gives 15-20% performance increase) anyways inst better that few more cores, especially for these kinds of takst(multimedia as I mentioned before).

His points:
*better upgrade options
*more power(on which I really dissagre, adobe or CAD programs really wouldn't care, and x6 1055t/1099t have proved to be quite a monsters for these kind of task at least by reviews).
*3way ram memory

Any comments/suggestions for our discussion?

Solution

Sigh...another i7 vs 1090T thread turned flame war. Ive done like 100 of these threads, and always come to the same conclusion:

Gaming: i7>1090T
Video Editing: 1090T>i7
Price: 1090T beats i7
Clock for Clock: i7>1090T
Stock: 1090T>i7
Overclocking: Generally a tie for max OC. AMD can generally go the highest, but thru conventional means, the i7 generally gets higher on air or water. Thats max OC, considering the i7s start lower, they obviously OC higher from stock.
Future Proof: 1090T. While it wont be AM3 compatible with BD, atleast you can put the 1090T into a AM3+ board. More...

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Removing money from the equation, the i7 pisses over everything AMD has in the multimedia arena. The X6 only just catch up with the i7 950 and below (sometimes beats them, sometimes now).

Factor in money however and the X6 will give you similar ability for less money.

gunmetal

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
yea Intel's i7 series CPU does that :D but is that little performance gap worth those extra 250$ ? At least if were taking X6 1055T as I said I might as well add that money in memory budget. I'm thinking about 8gigs or more cause 4-6 get's eaten quite fast when designers get to they toys and start working. And second six cores better than quad even with HT << and basically all design apps have multi-thread compatibility and they gain really much from those spare cores, If Intel's six-core model wouldn't cost like a whole PC I would go for it :D and they could live happy for some 3-5 years with that power....

gunmetal

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
The build we are discussing here is not for me but, as far as my knowledge goes they mainly
use a lot of Adobe apps(Photoshop, Illustrator, etc) and Cad apps (3max mostly, using ray renderers
and those plug-ins appreciate good multi-core cpu power and a lot of ram).

the build I was thinking of was:

Cpu: amd phenom II X6 1055T of 1090T
Mobo: still looking into it(but not as important in thread discussion.
RAM: 2x4gig kit of two 1333mhz modules
video card: GeForce GTX465 (cause of good performance/price, nvidia is better if gpu support for
task like multimedia is necessary, cuda, and driver quality).

The X6 is what you should be looking at.. The X6 1055T to be precise.. Rest of your decisions look good.. The GTX 460 768MB should replace the GTX 465.. I'll recommend a Gigabyte make for the motherboard.. And make sure not to skimp on the PSU.. A good 550W (Corsair, Antec, Seasonic) should do good..

gunmetal

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
Yes, X6 series 1055T is exactly the thing I'm suggesting for this build, but as I said
other guy is suggesting to buy i7-930 which would cost about 220% more(including mobo costs).

and quoting my self "it is and overkill and waste of budget" :/
More ram or storage would pay off much more in the long run.

Btw, My I ask why are you suggesting GTX460? if I remember correctly from reviews GTX465 overpowers it
is much more friendly in cost and power consumption zones << but correct me if I'm wrong. =]

BTW, as for storage I would go for Hitachi << heard really good things about then on low failure percentage <<

and sorry for going into off topic :S

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
I'd skimp on the graphics card really if you don't game. Something like a GTS 250 should honestly be enough for the Mercury playback engine (CS5 only). If you use CS4 or lower, the GPU accleration is all for OpenGL, so you could look at AMD's offerings, although I do recommend Nvidia, just in case you upgrade.

gunmetal

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
The Phenom is only really good for encoding. Skimp on the graphics and get an i7. Or wait for Sandy Bridge.

Unfortunately I can't skip that video card cause this pc is for freelancer that time to time likes to play some game :D and this card will also be useful if some of rendering software needs gpu support with more power, it's not the complete high end but it's good for gaming and good for rendering, as I said CUDA and nvidia still has better drivers(still ATI improves their drivers quite fast lately also, but still). Also he will use extreme resolutions 2560x1600 and 1920x1200 multiple monitors 2-3.

And why is phenom only good at encoding, I my self use Phenom II 965 and it performs quite well, of course not as well as 1055T or 1090T would (not talking about Intel here).

The question is "AMD x6 1050t/1090t vs Intel i7-930" would that little gap of performance between these two cpu's be worth that money? And I know that for most of the time it might not. let's speculate in the long run (I also doubt that he will need to upgrade it in nearest 3-5 year's next step would simply be rendering farm(which I would love to build)).

1. intel - less ram for beginning in this option
2. amd - more ram and two extra cores << rendering loves eating up dual core power and ram :p

Also I prefer more real cores that HT virtual ones :p (but I still like that technology, Only not in this case).

Here's one. ANY benchmark that uses more than 4 cores, the X6 wins. As more apps start using more cores, the X6 will really shine more than it does today.

Go to Tom's cpu chart and compare i7-930 to 1090T, you'll see the 1090T win's quite a few benchmarks.
+1

Personally, I think the 1090t is overpriced. The 1055t is the best performance per dollar. But then again, for you that might not be enough performance. You sound like a professional environment so I don't expect any overclocking to be happening.

My advice is to wait if you can though. All new CPUs that are coming out will not support AM3, 1156 or 1366 motherboards. Bulldozer will not be backwards compatible with the desktop version, nor will sandy bridge (AM3r2: AM3 will work in it and BD will work in it but BD will not work in AM3).

increased ram channels translates to not much of a performance increase. I also say buy for the now, not the future. By the time you want a new upgrade option you will only be able to get a core i7 980X. I mean, look at the prices of core 2. They have shot up because no one is buying them. I say just factor a new motherboard into your upgrade costs.

gunmetal

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
1075T appeared in quite recently on our vendor stocks :p nothing yet on 1035T must wait for review and see what these models can do for us, and then maybe include then in selection options <<

earl45

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
That's pretty much out of the box the 1090t will beat an i7 930 but running at the
same clock speeds the two extra cores matters for nothing it will still lose to a 4 core i7.

Check out the benchmarks.. Concentrate on the app performances relevant to your work.. That way things will become a lot clearer.. Don't jump on to the conclusions page straight away.. The verdict there is the collective observation from all the benchmarks which would include gaming, single threaded apps and all that which are (safe to say might be) highly irrelevant to your cause..

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
Except in apps that use more than 4 cores.

Like these apps?
3dsmax.png

sonar.png

photoshop.png

winrar.png

x264.png

I don't know about you but it looks like this claim you made doesn't materialize under most instances.

Pretty happy with our 1090T and the two 5850's in CF.

Having a few memory issues at present ... kids have had it a couple of weeks.

Was looking to overclock it a bit ... once the memory issues are sorted.

I think we have a bad stick of RAM ... anyway ... moving on.

Those benchies were interesting ... hoping I might be able to run a few and see what overclocking can achieve.

The main issue for us was the price vs performance ... the X6 seemed pretty good.

In saying that I still have my old Q6600@3.46 and E5300@ 3.5 here too ... both very good ... even in todays terms.

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
Poor people who bought into s1366. I really feel for you guys. You really took it in the butt.

What are you going on about? So your telling me, my i7 930 is obsolete as soon as Sandy Bridge comes out? Get a grip man.. All cause a new Architecture comes out and technology progresses, doesnt make the previous dead and gone.

People who have just bought the i7 9xx are still well incontention in having a decent setup and certainly not "took in the butt" as you so speak it.

Just like saying the new Honda 10 plate cars come out, Warranty is void on the Honda 09 plates due to the new style being progressed!

Idiot

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
Nice how you handpicked the losers. Like I said, 10 out of 30 benchmarks the X6 takes the i7-930 in Tom's comparison tests. I'm sorry your in denial and refuse to look at Tom's tests. I can't link them, you have to look for yourself. The link does not work.

Pretty much ANY encoding benchmark the X6 takes.

Handbrake (wins by a full minute!), Mpeg 2 to Mpeg 4 encoding (divx), Mpeg 2 to H.264, Autodesk 3ds max, 7-Zip........

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-ii-x6-1075t-phenom-ii-x4-970-phenom-ii-x2-560,2749-5.html

**This is the 1075t***^^^^

The others in Tom's test that the 1090T wins over the i7-930 are:

Cinebench 11.5
Encryption: SiSoftware Sandra 2010 Pro
Logic: Fritz Chess
Encryption: SiSoftware Sandra 2010 Pro (SHA256)SHA256 Encryption
Encryption: SiSoftware Sandra 2010 Pro (AES256)AES256 Encryption
Video Editing: Adobe After Effects CS5 Rendering 3 Streams into 1
Image Rendering: 3DS Max 2010 Image Rendering (1440x1080)

Cinebench is not an application and neither are Sisoft Sandra etc.

Adobe After Effects and 3DS Max 2010 are.

You just listed a bunch of synthetic tests. I listed actual applications that the user above stated he used. How about being honest for once?

Is this perhaps you?

"Wow man! lookerz at muh Cinebench score dude! skeet skeet skeet... damn the keys are now sticky"

Off the link you listed Corei7 wins 5, Phenom II X6 wins 2 and they tie in two (tie being equal or within 1 point of one another).

You just solidified the position I presented.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
That's right, a LOT more. Plus you have to buy a new motherboard every time a new chip comes out. s1156 and s1366 are already being replaced.

Poor people who bought into s1366. I really feel for you guys. You really took it in the butt.

How so?

"I feel sorry for people who bought AM3... they really took it in the butt. Bulldozer won't run on AMD3 (will require AM3+ due to new features)."

Is that your logic?

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
No but AM3 will run on AM3+. Too bad s1156 wont run on s1155.

Application score, benchmark, only a fanboy would try argue there's a difference between the two.

I'm sorry the truth hurt. I proved you wrong with the benchmarks, I'm done with this thread wolfboy.

So you'll be buying a new motherboard for your older AM3 processor?

How is that any different than buying a new motherboard for your new Sandybridge CPU?

End result is: Buying a new motherboard.

BTW... I'm not a "fanboy". I've been looking forward to Bulldozer for quite some time. I'm what you call a realist. I tell it like it is.

Wolfboy? Hehehe... I'll just leave that comment there as it speaks for itself.

PS. Early adopters of Socket 1366 have been getting Phenom II X6 performance for ~1 year prior to the X6 being released. That's right we had 1 year of great performance. Now AMD caught up with higher clocks and more cores.

I think that speaks to the architectural beauty that is Nehalem. To be fair... Bulldozer appears to be also of architectural beauty. But Phenom is... well... meh.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
New motherboard?? What?

Socket AM3 cpu's will work on Bulldozer AM3+ boards. What part aren't you getting?

What I'm saying is if you want to upgrade to Bulldozer, you can buy the motherboard and ram and save up for the new cpu while using your old AM3 cpu. You don't have to buy all 3 at the same time like you will if you already own a i7/i5 and want to upgrade to SB. A lot of people will like that because not everyone can afford to buy it all at one time.

I was simply responding to DIP-ankars idiotic spam posts saying X6 beats i7-930 in nothing. He stated "name one benchmark X6 wins". I posted 10. Now he is silent.

So what you're saying is that people who will be buying a new AM3+ Motherboard in conjunction with a new AM3 CPU when the AM3+ motherboards are released. So the end result is they'll be buying both.

Or do you mean that current AM3 owners can purchase a new AM3+ motherboard and install their AM3 CPU in it? So the end result is a new motherboard purchase.

Either way... you're talking about a new motherboard purchase. LOL!

Sure.. you have to buy a CPU and motherboard for sandybridge... but so what? I don't get the advantage you're speaking of here?

Why would I upgrade my current socket 1366 motherboard to another socket 1366+ motherboard and wait on the CPU upgrade? Why not wait till I get both at the same time? Either way... I'm buying a new CPU and motherboard in the end no?

You seem to adhere to a narrative and are looking for any advantage which justifies your strong beliefs and adherence to that narrative. In other words... you're attempting to spin reality to suit your narrative. You're acting like Fox News.

As for your response.. you stated that Phenom II X6 outperforms the Core i7 930 in applications that make use of 6 cores. This is not factual. Phenom II X6 does not always beat Core i7 930 when the application uses all 6 cores. In fact, most of the time, the Core i7 930 comes out on top even when all cores are utilized. This is due to other variables which are a testament to Nehalem's magnificent architecture such as, but not only, caching performance, Hyperthreading, memory controller performance, SSE extension support and overall IPC.

These advantages give an Core i7 4 core processor the ability to generally best an equally clocked Phenom II X6 core processor.

Status
Not open for further replies.