AMD X6 1055T overclocking too unstable with C1E and Cool N' Quiet

rafarataneneces

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Long story short. I have a 4.0Ghz 1055T AMD Phenom II X6 stable, running at 1.44V

However, when I run the chip with Cool N Quiet and C1E, the overclocking is very stable.

I think I will have to overclock it to 3.7 Ghz

I already tried 4.0Ghz, 3.9Ghz and 3.8Ghz and the machine is unstable.

So my questions are:

1) if my Vcore is 1.44V and my CPU usage is 8%, how many watts will my CPU use even when I am barely using 8%-15% of my CPU?

2) How much more expensive (electricity bill) is to run a chip at 4000 Mhz all the time, vs a chip that scales from 1000Mhz to 3700Mhz

Right now, I have to options

1) 4.0Ghz stable. Turbo, Cool N Quiet, C1E disabled
2) 3.6Ghz-3.7Ghz stable. Cool N Quiet, C1E enabled.
I guess I can also enable Turbo to maybe reach 3.8Ghz or 3.9Ghz when only 3 cores are used.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts.

I do HATE it when my machie is unstable, blue screens...

Changing voltage and speed is a nice feature, but hey, I might have to overclock it only to 3.6Ghz-3.7Ghz

I like to use only 1000 Mhz and 1.36V when I need it, and then jump to 3600Mhz-3700Mhz when I need it. I like a machine that is energy efficient

In conclusion
1) I like a machine that is STABLE. That is the priority, however, I don't want the electric bill to be insanely high
2) I like a machine that is energy efficient. As long as it doesn't makes my computer unstable. I am willing to lose a bit of speed, if it makes sense from the economic point of view

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

I've read most overclockers just disable everything related to changing voltage or speed

rafarataneneces

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009

Well, yeah I am now with 3700 Mhz and it is stable.

I will try to see if I can use Turbo with 3.7Ghz - 4.0Ghz

I am not sure if I'll be a happy camper with 3.7Ghz
even though I can turn Turbo On for 4.0Ghz, that is only for old programs that don't use all the cores, so, it's pretty rare to see and old program require 4.0Ghz of speed.

I tried with Crysis, and that game does triggers the 4th core, so turbo is disabled then.

So to be honest I don't see when will I ever use Turbo, as 3.7Ghz is plenty of speed for old programs

Anyway, thanks for your response, today I tried 4.0Ghz, 3.9Ghz, 3.8Ghz and it's just not stable with C1E and Cool N' Quiet enabled

3.7Ghz seems to be the 'roof', I will try to browse the web now to see if the computer hangs, but at 3.7Ghz I doubt that

I see at 3.7Ghz that the VCORE varies too much

it goes from 1.33V to 1.46V

that's 0.12V difference.

So in theory, if I would like to have 4.0Ghz

I would need to have
1.44V - 1.56V enabled in the BIOS

1.56V is not safe, 1.50V is safe

So, in other words, C1E and Cool N Quiet make the voltage change too much to have a high speed (ex: 4.0Ghz) enabled with that

I suppose that when you run 4.0Ghz with C1E and Cool N' Quiet, the chip runs fine, but when the voltage is reduced by 0.12V, example
4.0Ghz with 1.38V

that's when the BLUE SCREEN appears.

OC'ing mixed with power saving features is just going to cause instability so you have to choose one or the other unless you are going to settle for a mild OC. There is no point in trying to attain the highest OC while using CnQ because if the OC goes bad to the point of corrupting one of your OS files you will end up re-formating your hard drive just because you wanted to save a few pennies on your electric bill.

rafarataneneces

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Yeah I remember what you said to me before

I have 3.7Ghz with C1E and Cool N Quiet enabled, which is good, from 2.8Ghz to 3.7Ghz, it's acceptable

Anyway, I am running at 4.0Ghz stable with CNQ and C1E disabled, because as I estimated the electric bill 'savings' to be too little to bother

Now, about the corrupted files, I have Acronis True Image home, so in case there is a file corruption, I am well covered.

I like the chip a lot, giving me 1.2Ghz of overclock, damn, that's sweet!

yea same here, I always have an image of my drives, but id rather not take the chance since there is no point.

4Ghz on the 1055T is pretty sweet, I have seen up to 4.2Ghz on Air so you should have a bit more headroom to play with. Anyways congrats on the OC!

rafarataneneces

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009

Can you please tell me

RAM speed (Mhz)
FSB (Mhz)
Multiplier (x)

CPU Voltage
CPU/NB Voltage

NB speed (Mhz)
HT speed (Mhz)

you are right, being part of the '4.0 Ghz club' is a physics dream come true

I want to buy the 1090T in the future, and be able to run a machine with 4.4Ghz, that would be super awesome

but 4Ghz is already super sweet, so the need to upgrade is not imminent

RAM speed : depends on what ram you purchased.
FSB (Mhz) : well you need to find that out on your own, some boards are FSB friendly and some are not.
Multiplier : Normally I leave this around 11x and lower my ram frequency to its lowest value. Then I raise the FSB making sure the ram frequency does not go over its rated speed.

CPU Voltage : Don't go ever 1.5v on Air unless you have an ambient temp of under 70F
CPU/NB Voltage : I normally leave this at 1.3v

NB speed (Mhz) : again it depends, normally I don't go over 2600Mhz. For the most part it stays at 2000Mhz. You need to play with your frequency's in order to find out whats best for your set-up.
HT speed (Mhz) : in your case the default is 2200Mhz, normally I just leave this at stock settings since it has no effect on the CPU unless you have an SLI/CF setup where in cases it can help reduce the bottleneck between the CPU and the GPU's.

But you need to understand that my x4 and your x6 are different CPU's, your CPU might like a few adjustments that mines simply cannot handle so you need to find your "sweet spot" and write down those settings ;)

rafarataneneces

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Thanks so much for your help

But can you PLEASE tell me your exact values?

I see you overclock in a different way

Normally I lower the NB and the HT, and I also lower the RAM, so that leaves me 'room' to overclock

you lower the multiplier and that leaves you 'room' to overclock

What CPU do you have? what model?

so you have 11 x 381 = 4200 ?

I've spent hours and hours and 4.0Ghz seems to be the roof for me, but who knows, maybe if I lower the multiplier as much as possible (11x), I could reach a better speed

I have a black edition (x2 550 unlocked) CPU so there is no need to play with the FSB unless I want to OC my ram.

Here is an example of how I run my CPU :

DSC02765.jpg

DSC02766.jpg

these settings might not work for you so take that into consideration.

if you need more help with your 1055T you can head on over to this link, I recommend you register if you want the answers to all your questions.

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partner-pub-0500457209104480%3Aw4uakiy7wkk&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=Overclocking+the+1055T&sa=Search&siteurl=www.overclock.net%2Famd-cpus%2F771242-slappa-back-1090t-x6.html

rafarataneneces

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009

Thank you SO MUCH for your help
I tried 4.2Ghz and 4.1Ghz and got errors

I have one last question for you

I have 4.0 Ghz like this:
FSB = 285 Mhz x 14 = 3990

then I tested

FSB = 320 Mhz x 12.5 = 4000

Which one is better?
I read in an old overclocking tutorial that the FSB is the speed that the whole computer operates, so, the higher, the better

that is why people lower the multipliers to reach a higher FSB

Do you know anything about this?
You seem to be an expert in overclocking! :)

if your ram is rated @ 1600Mhz (for example) you need to lower that frequency to 800Mhz and THEN raise the FSB in increments till it BSODS (making sure you do not go over 1650Mhz RAM Frequency). Then back of a bit and it should be stable.

you have to find your "sweet spot" as far as making sure the multiplier is low enough when you are trying to reach your max FSB w/o going over your RAMS frequency threshold. It's takes time and you will go through a string of crashes but this is the only way you will find the exact most stable settings for your system.

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Yeah, I Agree With Most Of The Postings Here Just Turn Of Cool&Quiet And C1E, You Can Still Save Power By Tuning The Windows Power-Saving Options. Besides Your Monitor And Graphics Card Use Most Of The System Power, So Tune It Accordingly

rafarataneneces

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Yeah right now I have

Radeon 5890 overclocked to 900 Mhz
GTS 250 overclocked to 775 Mhz
AMD 1055T overclocked to 4.0 Ghz

I have a ULTRA modular 600 watt power supply, I believe it has around 36 AMPS on the 12 v rail, but I am not 100% sure

I am running Batman Arkham Asylum with both cards (ATI for the game, Nvidia for PhysX).

When will I know if my power supply reached it's limit?

The other day I was in Windows, video coming out of the ATI card to Monitor 1

The video from the GTS was going out to Monitor 2

Then, out of nowhere, the video in Monitor 1 went blank.

Video to Monitor 2 wasn't blank, but that is the secondary monitor

My question is

When there is a power supply over demand, the computer usually turns off right?

I remember 1 year ago I was playing WoW and the power supply wasn't enough.

The whole computer would turn off after playing for 2-3 minutes.

Running ATI for video games with Nvidia for the PhysX is second to none

I also use the GTS 250 for the Mercury Playback Engine

Overall, overclocking Rulez :)

TRENDING THREADS